Jonathan David

Vince193

On 10/1/2024 at 11:59 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

If we sign a Canadian for first team play of course I'll be crying with joy.

If you give me the David's FC Barcelona jersey (for my Canada Soccer collection) I'll be crying with joy. 

Say bet ;)

1 hour ago, PegCityCam said:

David bossing Bellingham with that over the shoulder move was magical. Magnificent game by our Iceman. Unfortunately the number of times he was open on a free run and teammates missed him was bordering on diabolical.

I just watched the 2nd half, but this is spot on. Would think as Lille's leading scorer his teammates would be looking for him as a first option. He was getting into great positions but they either couldn't see him or held on to the ball too long. Angel Gomes is probably the best on Lille in finding David. I would love to see David on a team with high level playmakers. It won't  happen but can you imagine if David played with KDB or Foden? Barca would work as well.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Smelly breath too, per one of Lille's players. 

Just watched him shake everyone's hand- Lille and Madrid. 

He was also doing interview with the press, French and English.

Was just thinking how great it is that De Guzmán, Davies and David have all scored against Real Madrid. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

My favourite part of his game today, other than him scoring the penalty so emphatically after long attempts to put him off by the RM players, was his yellow card late in the game. The RM player was about to run into a vast pocket of space in the Lille half, and he had position on JD. So, JD did his best Chiellini impression by just grabbing the fucker by the shirt and saying 'get fucked with that shit!' Didn't stop to argue the booking, just ran back and made sure that all his teammates got behind the ball.

14 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He was also doing interview with the press, French and English.

Was just thinking how great it is that De Guzmán, Davies and David have all scored against Real Madrid. 

I feel like Larin also may have come close against Madrid too? I recall him having a good game against them at some point. I may be mixing it up with his goal and assist against Barcelona- still, in my opinion, the best club game performance of any Canadian in this generation of players, for sure.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

I feel like Larin also may have come close against Madrid too? I recall him having a good game against them at some point. I may be mixing it up with his goal and assist against Barcelona- still, in my opinion, the best club game performance of any Canadian in this generation of players, for sure.

That idea of the best Canadian club game, not a bad debate. I think DeRo had some amazing performances. I think you'd have to look at the TFC MLS Cup victory. Though I really could not rate Canadian club match performances well enough or with decent memory.

Still, that performance of Cyle vs. Barcelona was important for Valladolid trying to avoid relegation, but the league was won two weeks earlier with 4 fixtures left, and Barça wasn't playing for anything. I mean, the line-up was strong for Barça but we coasted, we won the league handily in 22-23.

Last year vs. Barça, at home, Cyle came very close to grabbing a late winner which would have been a big victory for Mallorca at the edge of relegation all season. If he'd managed to score for Mallorca in the Cup final last year to give them the win, instead of the penalty loss, that would have been major too.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

28 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That idea of the best Canadian club game, not a bad debate. I think DeRo had some amazing performances. I think you'd have to look at the TFC MLS Cup victory. Though I really could not rate Canadian club match performances well enough or with decent memory.

Still, that performance of Cyle vs. Barcelona was important for Valladolid trying to avoid relegation, but the league was won two weeks earlier with 4 fixtures left, and Barça wasn't playing for anything. I mean, the line-up was strong for Barça but we coasted, we won the league handily in 22-23.

Last year vs. Barça, at home, Cyle came very close to grabbing a late winner which would have been a big victory for Mallorca at the edge of relegation all season. If he'd managed to score for Mallorca in the Cup final last year to give them the win, instead of the penalty loss, that would have been major too.

I would be open to other suggestions for best club game ever. I would put Davies against Madrid up there if Bayern had held on to win. Crepeau in the MLS cup final where he broke his leg to protect the league has to be up there too. Only thinking of guys who are currently in the program or who were part of the team since the ‘22 quals.

For Larin, it was just part of a bigger moment- here comes the random striker who couldn’t do anything in Belgium, he takes Spain by storm, nearly single-handedly protects his club from relegation, and then when it’s time to play one of the biggest clubs in the world, he has his best game ever. Even their B roster, I don’t remember who they put out there that game, is still better than nearly every club in Spain. It was just the pinnacle of one of the best period of vibes that any of our guys have had at their club. 

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It goes back more than a generation, but the Radzinski brace for Anderlecht against Manchester United in the Champions League is hard to top.