Jonathan David

Vince193

13 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

He must have earned the club a bunch of money over the years at this point

True.

I mean this year.  The big Champions League money comes mostly from being on worldwide TV in the group stage and beyond.

This is the first year they have had to qualfiy I believe.

First year, already in Europa League Group

Second, in Champions League Group after winning the league

Third  - nada

Fourth - Conference League Group

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

24 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

If I understand correctly, Lille will be playing Slavia Prague in the final round? Shame, as we were very close for a David v David matchup, but unless USG score like 4 goals in 15 minutes, it will not be so. 

And all the Sparta Prague supporters on this forum are now losing their minds.

10 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

thats such a funny headline.

"Team MIGHT hire guy for free...in a year"

La Gazzetta is actually a serious paper....if the say it it's because they do have an inside line. As in, whichever team comes to terms with him and can sign a pre agreement in January gets him.

There are probably only a dozen or so, maybe 15 teams, that could meet the salary and signing bonus.

47 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

La Gazzetta is actually a serious paper....if the say it it's because they do have an inside line. As in, whichever team comes to terms with him and can sign a pre agreement in January gets him.

There are probably only a dozen or so, maybe 15 teams, that could meet the salary and signing bonus.

Did you read it in the paper?  It's not on their site.

Always interested to read the original article after these sites play games of telephone with a story. 

59 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Did you read it in the paper?  It's not on their site.

Always interested to read the original article after these sites play games of telephone with a story. 

The article does say it is in their print edition. And it is from an Inter fansite who might be reading La Gazzetta on paper.

The Milan general daily, Corriere dela Sera, has limited sports news, covers all of Calcio, and is not specifically an Inter paper. Then there's a paywall

That is not uncommon, we have 4 national sports dailies in Spain, 7 days a week, and a lot of content is reserved for the print edition only, then there are some regional additions to most of them. 

I am not saying the story is reliable, but it is not lacking credibility: Inter was unsure about the future of Lautaro (though I think he's re-signed for another 5 years now), Thuram, that Austrian striker who took half a year to start scoring, Arnautovich; then they have the money to sign a guy for a higher salary and major bonus.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

49 minutes ago, jhoops__ said:

David wants UCL.   Who can blame him as Lille will play 8 games on the biggest stage if they qualify.   Looking more likely that he becomes a free agent…

The new format has 8 league phase games, two more than the 6-game group stage we are used to. I wonder if that factors in as well.

For a team like Lille who would have been unlikely to advance under the old format, those two extra games are perhaps a big deal?