Jonathan David

Vince193

Anyone else find themselves going back and forth on how much of an upgrade Roma would be over Lille? 

No disrespect to Roma, but if you are Jonathan David, did you put in all these years of work at Lille to join the likes of Roma? I am just not convinced. Why not just play out your contract at this point and go somewhere else on a free?

That's one side of the coin.

The other side is that Serie A is a step up. Roma is a step up. No denying that, but like I said, I go back and forth on it.

Now Atleti on the other hand, that's could be a situation worth leaving Lille for. 

Well Atlético came up many months ago, but now that Morata is leaving, it makes sense. They could afford him, he probably could make contributions. He is a quite different player, but like we saw with Morata at the Euros, there is that similarity in being able to come back and support the mids in the build up. 

Another plus is that, unlike Spurs or Roma, your chances of being in the Champions group stage yearly are far higher. Atlético also has more money to spend on salary, Morata was clearing over 6 million euros after taxes.

For me Morata had an exemplary Euros, it was the classic case of a leader on the field who did a helluva lot of work and, beyond goals, helped a team win a major trophy. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Well Atlético came up many months ago, but now that Morata is leaving, it makes sense. They could afford him, he probably could make contributions. He is a quite different player, but like we saw with Morata at the Euros, there is that similarity in being able to come back and support the mids in the build up. 

Another plus is that, unlike Spurs or Roma, your chances of being in the Champions group stage yearly are far higher. Atlético also has more money to spend on salary, Morata was clearing over 6 million euros after taxes.

For me Morata had an exemplary Euros, it was the classic case of a leader on the field who did a helluva lot of work and, beyond goals, helped a team win a major trophy. 

Hard to disagree on Atleti. They are a good bet for at least 3rd most seasons, whereas Spurs and Roma could finish anywhere from 3rd to 6th and it would be a "normal" season. Atletico finishing 6th is a massive down year. 

That said, I question how motivated David would be to go to Spain if he has a real chance to go to Spurs and play in England.

I would view either club as a good destination. Roma? I am unsure.

20 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Not everyone has the ambition to play against the best team in the world where the talent is #1, all power to him.

Don't you mean team, singular? Real Madrid are very good. 

On the other hand, Barcelona - to pull a name out of a hat - is below a lowly team called West Ham in the UEFA Club co-efficient currently. (As is Atletico, incidentally.)

But we internet amateur tryhards can squabble all we want; I am just going by what the player said:

" I don’t know if I can see myself anywhere other than the Premier League."

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

15 hours ago, Obinna said:

Hard to disagree on Atleti. They are a good bet for at least 3rd most seasons, whereas Spurs and Roma could finish anywhere from 3rd to 6th and it would be a "normal" season. Atletico finishing 6th is a massive down year. 

That said, I question how motivated David would be to go to Spain if he has a real chance to go to Spurs and play in England.

I would view either club as a good destination. Roma? I am unsure.

I heard on ESPN a couple of days ago that Atleti are favourites to add Julian Alvarez if he moves away from ManCity… so may need to wait for that domino to fall (which always seems to be the case with David, wherever he’s rumoured to go)

29 minutes ago, Protega said:

Heard he played in a 7v7 tournament today in Ottawa.

What happens if he was to get injured, out of curiosity? I mean, what are the ramifications?

From what I understand, I don't think most of the Whitecaps teen academy players are even able to play in random non-club tournaments like this. Surprised a full pro on the cusp of his biggest payday is allowed.

Would be cool to see him out with the locals, though, I have to admit. And I love the way guys like Jonny and Davies always come home to represent.

So you have Atleti, Roma and now even Saudi Pro League clubs calling. But honestly best league for David to showcase his talent would be the English Premier League because not only would he be playing against world class players week after week but he gets even more exposure than he ever did depending on what club he goes to in the Premier League.

5 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Read somewhere (do not remember where) Roma is out of the running for David because Lille wants too much transfer $$.

Yeah because they want to replace David's quality and his productivity hence why they want a large sum so they can go after someone else so I can see why they rejected Roma's offer. 

The more I think about it, the more it bothers me Lille didn't substantially offer him a raise. That's actually poor on their part. So sure, you want to sell. But if there's no raise, no new contract, you can't play hardball on the transfer fee because you're screwing your player over twice (high fee means lower signing bonus and lower salary expectations from the new club).

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The more I think about it, the more it bothers me Lille didn't substantially offer him a raise. That's actually poor on their part. So sure, you want to sell. But if there's no raise, no new contract, you can't play hardball on the transfer fee because you're screwing your player over twice (high fee means lower signing bonus and lower salary expectations from the new club).

I don't think David would of re signed anyways. Always wanted to make his decision at the end of his contract. I think he has made up his mind about the the Premier League a long time ago