Jonathan David

Vince193

Just now, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

If you believe the sites, Sp*rs are closer.  Which is obviously worse.

Chelsea is not a bad fit for David though honestly. I mean sure he wouldn't be playing Champions League football but Chelsea are a team that are in a bit of a rebuild but add David to a team that has the likes of a Cole Palmer, Nicolas Jackson, etc he would thrive with a young team like that no?

1 hour ago, jhoops__ said:

Looks like Lille will get a bag for Yoro so I’m curious if they attempt to resign David to a more lucrative contract.  They have UCL qualifying soon so we’ll see.

If he resigns he will never leave.

Better off playing out the season.

He will get a higher paid contract at his next club as a free transfer 

Edited by narduch

53 minutes ago, narduch said:

If he resigns he will never leave.

Better off playing out the season.

He will get a higher paid contract at his next club as a free transfer 

.....and have to deal with another year of rumors on this thread?  No thanks!

I'm ok with him staying at Lille his entire career.  Good level, solid team, he won't be benched unless he really goes cold.  I prefer having our top striker playing every week as opposed to a benched player that comes in rusty (a lot like USA's issues).

I just want to find a way to mute the rumors on this thread, it's been years!

The chairman said he and Yoro can go. 

Pretty strong statement if you hold any hope (desire?) in resigning the player.  

A bit odd that the Premier League has most of the rumours but even elsewhere teams are looking for a different profile.

Morata to Milan. Supposed to be Lukaku to Napoli if Osimhen leaves. Places David was linked with.

Interesting to know whether David is holding out for Europe and starting or whether there have just been no offers as he implied on his podcast.

11 minutes ago, costarg said:

.....and have to deal with another year of rumors on this thread?  No thanks!

I'm ok with him staying at Lille his entire career.  Good level, solid team, he won't be benched unless he really goes cold.  I prefer having our top striker playing every week as opposed to a benched player that comes in rusty (a lot like USA's issues).

I just want to find a way to mute the rumors on this thread, it's been years!

Are there even any rumours now?

Feels like it's going to be another year at Lille

Lille is a selling club. The annual player turnover is crazy and there is no continuity for David to establish any kind of understanding with  constantly changing players around him. It would be a mistake for him to extend his contract. Lille missed out by asking too much over the last 2 yrs, so they will want to get something before he moves for free. 

David is an enigma. He scores lots of goals as a fox in the box, and presses and tackles well but still isn't a traditional 9, nor is he a winger, and he isn't creative enough to be a 10. 

As a result, I'm not sure David fits seamlessly into every Manager's preferred setup and I think it leads to cold feet when the financial outlay is so large and resources limited (although now less so than before, which is why he will eventually move somewhere who sees him as a value play).

Ideally, at his best he's a Firmino type - super valuable if you have the proper wingplay to support goalscoring. Without that role or apparatus to support him, I think he'll be scapegoated quickly because a lot of his best work is unseen and unheralded.

6 minutes ago, kingvikingstad said:

David is an enigma. He scores lots of goals as a fox in the box, and presses and tackles well but still isn't a traditional 9, nor is he a winger, and he isn't creative enough to be a 10. 

As a result, I'm not sure David fits seamlessly into every Manager's preferred setup and I think it leads to cold feet when the financial outlay is so large and resources limited (although now less so than before, which is why he will eventually move somewhere who sees him as a value play).

Ideally, at his best he's a Firmino type - super valuable if you have the proper wingplay to support goalscoring. Without that role or apparatus to support him, I think he'll be scapegoated quickly because a lot of his best work is unseen and unheralded.

Great analysis. It's almost as if the only perfect spot for him would be a like-for-like replacement for a very similar player who is gone to long term injury or transfer. But where? After tonnes of minutes in two major world tournaments, there aren't any secrets left about Jonny or his play style; what you see is what you get.

14 minutes ago, jhoops__ said:

Spurs makes the most sense with how Ange sets up.   His pressing skills would certainly be a fit there.

As a West Ham supporter I can't recommend it, but of the EPL options it's the best tactical fit. I think playing with Son and Kulusevski bombing down the wings and Maddison creating in behind is as close to ideal as he'll likely get.