Jonathan David

Vince193

10 hours ago, masster said:

But Gasp has decided to remain at Atalanta, so Napoli are shifting to Antonio Conte. David does not fit the mold of a central striker that Conte usually likes.

He had Kane at Tottenham, but he played Son up there with him sometimes and the last time he was in Serie A, he played with 2 strikers mostly Lukaku and Martinez.  David could be that second one, but they would need to buy the big striker as well. 

All that said, no Europe is still a no-no for me at 24. 

53 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

He had Kane at Tottenham, but he played Son up there with him sometimes and the last time he was in Serie A, he played with 2 strikers mostly Lukaku and Martinez.  David could be that second one, but they would need to buy the big striker as well. 

Reading this after i've been thinking what a David and Bair partnership up top would look like gave me the chills.  It'd be an impossibly big leap, not even realistic.  But would still love to see David and Bair pair up for Canada.

1 hour ago, costarg said:

Reading this after i've been thinking what a David and Bair partnership up top would look like gave me the chills.  It'd be an impossibly big leap, not even realistic.  But would still love to see David and Bair pair up for Canada.

Conte played 2 upfront with Inter against pretty much everyone, good and bad, including Real Madrid and Barcelona in the Champions League (Lost all 4 games to be fair).  Could you handle that😉?

11 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Conte played 2 upfront with Inter against pretty much everyone, good and bad, including Real Madrid and Barcelona in the Champions League (Lost all 4 games to be fair).  Could you handle that😉?

I know Conte's system well! 

Unlike Canada, he's had the luxury of some pretty strong and stable backlines.  We might get our third CB piece if LDF develops quickly.  Until then, not very confident.  

3 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

David is better served going to Atletico Madrid or teams like AC Milan, Juventus or teams like Bayer Leverkeusen or Borussia Dortmund

MLS Canada is clearly invested in the NT and Canada soccer is clearly invested in CPL so here’s what we do: Saputo takes the zirkzee transfer earnings in one hand, puts them in the other, spends a cool $40M on bringing Griezmann to CF Montreal, Atletico turns around and spends that fee on Jonathan David with the expressed agreement that David will one day play for Ottawa. In return, Atletico agree to playing a friendly against CF Montreal in Ottawa with proceeds going to Atletico Ottawa.

Griezmann gets his move, Atletico gets their man, Saputo builds his local club, CPL earns, MLS earns, Lille earns, everyone wins. This is the vision. 

20 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

MLS Canada is clearly invested in the NT and Canada soccer is clearly invested in CPL so here’s what we do: Saputo takes the zirkzee transfer earnings in one hand, puts them in the other, spends a cool $40M on bringing Griezmann to CF Montreal, Atletico turns around and spends that fee on Jonathan David with the expressed agreement that David will one day play for Ottawa. In return, Atletico agree to playing a friendly against CF Montreal in Ottawa with proceeds going to Atletico Ottawa.

Griezmann gets his move, Atletico gets their man, Saputo builds his local club, CPL earns, MLS earns, Lille earns, everyone wins. This is the vision. 

No way Griezmann is going to want to go to MLS and even if he does why would he go to Montréal? He would probably go to LAFC or LA Galaxy or to Inter Miami to join Messi and friends

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

No way Griezmann is going to want to go to MLS and even if he does why would he go to Montréal? He would probably go to LAFC or LA Galaxy or to Inter Miami to join Messi and friends

No, he specifically wants to MLS, that part has been well reported on. What’s been less well reported is his desire to play in a French speaking city after all these years. He wants to join Victor Wanyama and friends actually.

”Never in Doubt”

-InglewoodJack

Edited by InglewoodJack

Diego Simeones Atleti squads have only been successful with outlet target strikers. Strikers who can create for themselves and battle 1v1 with a CB in transition as they play their defensive low-block style. I just can't see David doing well in that system. 

David vs Ruddiger, Militao, Araujo, or Kounde...

It would be a great challenge.

23 minutes ago, jhoops__ said:

I don’t watch a lot of Atleti but don’t they often play Correa and Griezmann at the top and they’re 2 smaller and creative players and not traditional target men.

No, Correa plays a lot of lone striker, with Griezman free roaming in behind. 
They usually play a 3-5-2-1 or a 5-4-1.

Correa also has only scored more than 10 goals in a season once in his near 10 year stay, which reiterates my stance that Atleti needs a more traditional #9 for their style to be successful again.

Think Nunez, Vlahovic, G.Ramos, Isak, Boniface....less  Alvarez, Jota, Callum Wilson, Jesus, Werner. 

IMO...of course.

37 minutes ago, Shway said:

Diego Simeones Atleti squads have only been successful with outlet target strikers. Strikers who can create for themselves and battle 1v1 with a CB in transition as they play their defensive low-block style. I just can't see David doing well in that system. 

David vs Ruddiger, Militao, Araujo, or Kounde...

It would be a great challenge.

Maybe David is the succession plan for Griezmann instead of a target striker?

His profile seems more similar to Griezmann than an outlet target striker, which even though isn't his best role he could do it in a pinch. So maybe in David, they get a bit of both, but mainly they get that second striker looking to pick up balls in the half space.

Only thing that makes me think otherwise is that it's been a long time since the Gent days where he did that. Would Atletico really be seeing him in that role? I am not certain.

The other thing to is that teams change overtime as players age out and move on. So, they may not necessarily be searching for a like-for-like and may just be looking to reload with the best available talent regardless of their profile.

And to that end, David would unsurprisingly be one of the names potentially available this summer (for a reasonable fee hopefully).

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, jhoops__ said:

I don’t watch a lot of Atleti but don’t they often play Correa and Griezmann at the top and they’re 2 smaller and creative players and not traditional target men.

The games I saw them play against Johnston and Celtic in the Champions League it was 352 with Morata and another smaller striker.  

Edit: the 6-0 they gave Scots would say that worked.

If you go by the sites that was their default formation, so he certainly could fit in there.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Maybe David is the succession plan for Griezmann instead of a target striker?

His profile seems more similar to Griezmann than an outlet target striker, which even though isn't his best role he could do it in a pinch. So maybe in David, they get a bit of both, but mainly they get that second striker looking to pick up balls in the half space.

Only thing that makes me think otherwise is that it's been a long time since the Gent days where he did that. Would Atletico really be seeing him in that role? I am not certain.

The other thing to is that teams change overtime as players age out and move on. So, they may not necessarily be searching for a like-for-like and may just be looking to reload with the best available talent regardless of their profile.

And to that end, David would unsurprisingly be one of the names potentially available this summer (for a reasonable fee hopefully).

Atleti hasn't been a club to "load up"on talent per se. They have their system, and fill guys in accordingly. 

Out goes Herrera in comes De Paul.
The only time we've seen them spend big and it not "workout" for them has been Lemar. 

So I agree, maybe they are looking at him as a Greizman replacement. I personally feel that in a better league, he could be a more dangerous player as a second striker rather than a traditional 9.

Just now, Shway said:

Atleti hasn't been a club to "load up"on talent per se. They have their system, and fill guys in accordingly. 

Out goes Herrera in comes De Paul.
The only time we've seen them spend big and it not "workout" for them has been Lemar. 

So I agree, maybe they are looking at him as a Greizman replacement. I personally feel that in a better league, he could be a more dangerous player as a second striker rather than a traditional 9.

Are they done with Morata?

Scored 19 goals in the first half of the season and then very little in the second?

8 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

The games I saw them play against Johnston and Celtic in the Champions League it was 352 with Morata and another smaller striker.  

Edit: the 6-0 they gave Scots would say that worked.

If you go by the sites that was their default formation, so he certainly could fit in there.

Lol you picked a rare game where they went for it from the lineup that was put out. In that game, they started with Moratta, Griezman, and Correa. In the reverse fixture it was Moratta and Greizman in a 352....but as stated, Griezman loves to drop in, and free roam.

They rarely played a flat 352. 

Just now, Shway said:

Lol you picked a rare game where they went for it from the lineup that was put out. In that game, they started with Moratta, Griezman, and Correa. In the reverse fixture it was Moratta and Greizman in a 352....but as stated, Griezman loves to drop in, and free roam.

They rarely played a flat 352. 

Whether its a pure flat 352 or not, David played around and slighty behind Yilmaz ( and was quite successful) so it could work still.

Are you saying they were trying to make 5'8" Correa the target man? 

Still would rather see Italy (not Napoli despite Conte) or maybe Villa.

3 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Whether it's a pure flat 352 or not, David played around and slighty behind Yilmaz ( and was quite successful) so it could work still.

Your example jumps to a formation that was 442 or 4411. I agree that David could be the Greizman replacement in a 352...but not as the 9.

Are you saying they were trying to make 5'8" Correa the target man? 

Target man, outlet man, hold up guy...yes. In their absorb and attack, Simeone style, Correa has been underwhelming.

Still would rather see Italy (not Napoli despite Conte) or maybe Villa.

I agree. I would add in Milan and and Spurs..🤮

6 hours ago, CCrTFC said:

We have the El Chiringuito twitch stream claiming there's been contact made with David's camp by Atleti. 

El Chiringuito is about as trashy a football show you could imagine, lowest common denominator. But that doesn't mean they're wrong and it'd make sense. Morata is in decline, the others are past their prime, they had problems with character as well, losing a lot away. But a big club where you're not expecting to win trophies, and a club and coach I think he'd enjoy.