Jonathan David

Vince193

28 minutes ago, frmr said:

Yoro wiffed on a tackled and let Orban in alone and he chipped the keeper. Good finish.

(re: Orban's goal)

Saw Orban over two legs with Gent last year, a real handful even then.  

That said Lille seem to sometimes play players for the transfer market.  Yoro is obviously a massive talent but has looked not up this level (yet) on few occasions I have seen him. 

Big call starting Yazici over David. Obviously Fonseca liked what he saw when David equalized off the bench in Lille. Possibly wants to keep it tight for the first three quarters of the game then see if they can get David to run in behind tired legs on the counter.

No update, but just watching highlights of David at Lille. I still think he's underappreciated. His brain is what makes him top notch. The way he sees the game is top level. The execution sometimes let's him down, but when he's on it's world class.

I think he'd thrive somewhere where he only has to be the 2nd or even 3rd piece attacking piece, not necessarily the main guy. For him to be"the guy", it means he's not on a world class team, Lille for instance. He gets his goals, but I suspect putting him in a world class team would get even more out of him, as it would help take advange of his biggest asset: his brain. 

Put him in a team of world class players nad he'll be able to contribute, because how he reads the game is elite. The execution would naturally sharpen up such an environment. He doesn't have the consistency in his execution yet to be a world class player, but he does have the brain. 

Finally, let me just say that anyone who doesn't think David isn't the best 9 in CONCACAF just hasn't watched enough David to appreciate his game. He also has a reputation for going missing in big games, which I cannot defend him on. Still though, he's a clear no. 1 for me. Chirps about Balogun being better haven't yet been backed up, and Gimenez hasn't yet come good for Mexico, despite his goals in Holland. 

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

No update, but just watching highlights of David at Lille. I still think he's underappreciated. His brain is what makes him top notch. The way he sees the game is top level. The execution sometimes let's him down, but when he's on it's world class.

I think he'd thrive somewhere where he only has to be the 2nd or even 3rd piece attacking piece, not necessarily the main guy. For him to be"the guy", it means he's not on a world class team, Lille for instance. He gets his goals, but I suspect putting him in a world class team would get even more out of him, as it would help take advange of his biggest asset: his brain. 

Put him in a team of world class players nad he'll be able to contribute, because how he reads the game is elite. The execution would naturally sharpen up such an environment. He doesn't have the consistency in his execution yet to be a world class player, but he does have the brain. 

Finally, let me just say that anyone who doesn't think David isn't the best 9 in CONCACAF just hasn't watched enough David to appreciate his game. He also has a reputation for going missing in big games, which I cannot defend him on. Still though, he's a clear no. 1 for me. Chirps about Balogun being better haven't yet been backed up, and Gimenez hasn't yet come good for Mexico, despite his goals in Holland. 

You started off saying that he isn't a 9 [has to be the 2nd or even 3rd piece in attack], and then finished it by saying he is the best 9 in Concacaf.

I agree with what you initially stated by saying that he's a great reader of the game, and good at finding the half spaces, especially in the transitional attack, but to me that kind of contradicts him of being a 9....(or I guess he's the infamous false 9). His finishing is one of the best in Concacaf, but I do wonder if he could play as a 10 for Canada because the IQ things you have stated.

26 minutes ago, Shway said:

You started off saying that he isn't a 9 [has to be the 2nd or even 3rd piece in attack], and then finished it by saying he is the best 9 in Concacaf.

I agree with what you initially stated by saying that he's a great reader of the game, and good at finding the half spaces, especially in the transitional attack, but to me that kind of contradicts him of being a 9....(or I guess he's the infamous false 9). His finishing is one of the best in Concacaf, but I do wonder if he could play as a 10 for Canada because the IQ things you have stated.

Benzema was the ultimate 2nd piece to ronaldo and he's a 9. I think the sentiment is you dont build your attack around David. He can compliment the players around him nicely. 

I see your point on the infamous false 9, However, I think being a top reader of the game is crucial for strikers so they know how to poach goals/position themselves/timing/finding half spaces. The reason I think hes more of a false 9 is more to do with how deep he can drop and how hes not your typical hold up striker. This goes back to being a compliment piece as he loves a bigger guy around him so he can read his movements and play off of him. 

I do think hes now developed enough that hes fine for CMNT as a lone striker. 

35 minutes ago, Shway said:

I do believe he's the best 9 and I also believe the 10 could be the best spot for him with Canada. His finishing is obviously a big strength, but if he is withdrawn he can influence the game more and that be better for the team. The more touches he gets, the better for us.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

I do believe he's the best 9 and I also believe the 10 could be the best spot for him with Canada. His finishing is obviously a big strength, but if he is withdrawn he can influence the game more and that be better for the team. The more touches he gets, the better for us.

I know its subtle differences but is david suited for a 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1 at cam? Essentially, would dropping slightly deeper with slightly more defensive responsibility hinder his counter attacking ability. Do we want to save his legs for attacking purposes? I just imagine when we play a 3 man midfield and oso has to track back all over the field as our "10" and I dont think we want that with david. 

7 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Benzema was the ultimate 2nd piece to ronaldo and he's a 9. I think the sentiment is you dont build your attack around David. He can compliment the players around him nicely. 

I see your point on the infamous false 9, However, I think being a top reader of the game is crucial for strikers so they know how to poach goals/position themselves/timing/finding half spaces. The reason I think hes more of a false 9 is more to do with how deep he can drop and how hes not your typical hold up striker. This goes back to being a compliment piece as he loves a bigger guy around him so he can read his movements and play off of him. 

I do think hes now developed enough that hes fine for CMNT as a lone striker. 

I like the Benzema comparison with David. I think I would rather him be a 2nd or even 3rd piece for a team like Arsenal than the main piece at a West Ham, for instance. At least that's my thought at the moment. 

I would add that I think David is the type of player to build around, depending on the team. For a team like Gent, Lille or Canada, then yes. For a bigger team, like some of those he is rumored to go, I am less convinced. If David was more consistently sharp with his interplay than perhaps.

4 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I know its subtle differences but is david suited for a 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1 at cam? Essentially, would dropping slightly deeper with slightly more defensive responsibility hinder his counter attacking ability. Do we want to save his legs for attacking purposes? I just imagine when we play a 3 man midfield and oso has to track back all over the field as our "10" and I dont think we want that with david. 

I think the former may be better but I would be curious to see the latter, especially with how we don't have that 3rd midfielder right now. Maybe it's more 4-2-3-1 with David in the middle of that 3, with Davies and Buchanan on either side.