Jonathan David

Vince193

7 hours ago, Shway said:

As an Arsenal fan, I was hoping that he would end up at Spurs as I think their current style of play is perfect for him to get back to his peak Genk early Lille days. 

United is a graveyard where only the homegrowns survive. 

If the rumors are true, Aston Villa would be a great alternative for him .

Gent not Genk…

12 hours ago, Noted Penguin said:

UT I agree with you're post in general but I'd discuss a few of the details like

"he is not producing enough, in an inferior league, to warrant any serious consideration from a major club".

That my friend tha is a real hot take.  JD has 105 goals is 240 some games in his senior career.  Hojlung has 30 in 120.

I'm not sure whether you're saying that most transfers are based on who's on a hot streak or that Man U isn't a major club.

Both can't be true

The other aspect of this is, it seems JD has always had really good peronal advisors,  a real good sense of what he wants and the character and determination to stay the course.

To sum it up I think he'll go to the club of his choosing whenever the opportunity arises and what Lille gets will have very little to do with it.

I fully agree his overall stats are good, but right now, he is not producing. Even if he had 3-4 more goals from open play this first half of the season, the value would hold up.

But it's his responsibility, he's the one who has to keep the value up. I am not talking about penalties, and if you compare, Lille is not drawing penalties this year like they did even last season, I am talking about open play. 

In any case, 105 in 240 is good, but maybe equivalent to 20-25% less in a big four league. 

17 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The many arguments here relating what Lille paid to what they should ask for, the minimum transfer payment they should receive and so on, are incorrect. 

In no case is the business of buying a player and selling on only based on making money compared to what you paid. Because in this case you have already recouped the investment, merely having a player on your team has to be built into the equation. Even if they do not produce. But he has produced, he has more than redeemed himself, with his goals, with their league title, with what it got you (a Champions League run). Arguably it is still helping fill your relatively new, large stadium, it has raised your tv value in France, where Lille were never historically a team fans watched (Marseille, Monaco, Lyon, PSG...).

I find it odd folks are making calculations as if the value he has given to the club does not count: that is mistaken, it is not part of football accounting, and in fact it is not part of any accounting. A hire, and the cost incurred, are not just an investment on future sell-ons, they are investments for the value you get from the employee, in this case from a player on the pitch.

Then there is the question of salary. For Lille, if they wanted to keep and renew David, which if they were to make Champions League for next season with him scoring better this season, would not be entirely far-fetched, they would have to pay him more. That is a fixed cost, which perhaps they could distribute better to other striker options coming up. 

In any case, how much David goes for is not really our concern. In fact, if he goes for less (which I think he will), that benefits him, as it enables him to negotiate better contract terms with his new club. For Canada he'd be just as useful at a mid-to-high club in a big league, say Brighton or Wolfsburg or Betis, on a decent salary, with minutes. 

This is why I find the obsessing over interest from big clubs a bit immature (JJDTV), he is not producing enough, in an inferior league, to warrant any serious consideration from a major club. 

I think he'll go for less than they paid, next summer, for less than 20 million even. Unless he goes berserk this season and we make the Copa America with a good performance from him. And it really won't make a difference, not to Lille, not to him, not to Canada.

Off topic, but it looks like One Soccer parted ways with JJDTV

Edited by narduch

3 minutes ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Yeah I saw those, no mention of an actual bid though, just reports of interest and a bit of a clickbaity title. I'd be very surprised if United put in a bid.

11 hours ago, narduch said:

He was promoting his old YouTube channel again on Twitter.

Sure, but he immediately explains in the video that his absence was due to a crazy year personally, and he thanks OneSoccer for being understanding. That doesn't indicate to me that he's parted ways with OS unless I'm missing something 

I can’t watch, but anyone watching- what formation are they using? JD and Yacizi are starting along with Gomes up front. Is Yacizi being deployed as an AM or are they doing 2 strikers? Futmob says David is being deployed as an LW, but not sure.

Edited by InglewoodJack

10 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I can’t watch, but anyone watching- what formation are they using? JD and Yacizi are starting along with Gomes up front. Is Yacizi being deployed as an AM or are they doing 2 strikers? Futmob says David is being deployed as an LW, but not sure.

Lone striker