Jonathan David

Vince193

Napoli 'eye up Arsenal striker Gabriel Osimhen

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12607311/Napoli-Arsenal-Gabriel-Jesus-Victor-Osimhen.html

• Lille's 'Jonathan David and Atletico Madrid's Alvaro Morata are also options'
  • David has been among the brighter strikers in France over the past few seasons and scored 26 goals across all competitions for Lille last season.

At just 23, the Canada international is the youngest of Napoli's three targets and potenitally the one with the highest ceiling.

Gonna need some historic run of form from now until may for Lille to get anywhere near that €60M. 2 goals in 7 games- if he wants to hit 20, he needs 18 in the next 26 games, he needs 22 in the next 26 to tie last season’s notch.

Pretty rough patch for our players- do we have a single in form player in Europe right now? Mathieu Choiniere is the only Canadian who has impressed me over like the last month, sad to say. 

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Gonna need some historic run of form from now until may for Lille to get anywhere near that €60M. 2 goals in 7 games- if he wants to hit 20, he needs 18 in the next 26 games, he needs 22 in the next 26 to tie last season’s notch.

Pretty rough patch for our players- do we have a single in form player in Europe right now? Mathieu Choiniere is the only Canadian who has impressed me over like the last month, sad to say. 

Davies, Eustaquio, Johnston, Cornelius

32 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Davies, Eustaquio, Johnston, Cornelius

It's not that any of those guys are bad, but we've seen all of those guys except DC look much better than they currently look now. AJ is coming back from injury and I don't think he's quite 100% there, but as it stands, he's played much better for Celtic than he has over the last couple games. Cornelius looks awesome, that's one who's in absolute top form, though he's a CB in Sweden, it would be a shame for him to be the one guy in Europe relatively turning heads right now.

Guess I more so meant that we don't really have any player doing anything exciting right now. Usually we can count on at least one player pouring in goals or a younger player taking a leap or one of our stars dropping a high light reel performance, but hasn't really been any of that recently it seems.

30 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

It's not that any of those guys are bad, but we've seen all of those guys except DC look much better than they currently look now. AJ is coming back from injury and I don't think he's quite 100% there, but as it stands, he's played much better for Celtic than he has over the last couple games. Cornelius looks awesome, that's one who's in absolute top form, though he's a CB in Sweden, it would be a shame for him to be the one guy in Europe relatively turning heads right now.

Guess I more so meant that we don't really have any player doing anything exciting right now. Usually we can count on at least one player pouring in goals or a younger player taking a leap or one of our stars dropping a high light reel performance, but hasn't really been any of that recently it seems.

And on the flipside, it's pretty impressive that Eustaquio playing heavy minutes and scoring (albeit one goal) for Porto and Davies being a 90 minute player for Bayern are no longer things that excite us.

Even for us to say David is in a slump after 4 goals in 11 competitions speaks to the standard. 

We've come a long way.

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

And on the flipside, it's pretty impressive that Eustaquio playing heavy minutes and scoring (albeit one goal) for Porto and Davies being a 90 minute player for Bayern are no longer things that excite us.

Even for us to say David is in a slump after 4 goals in 11 competitions speaks to the standard. 

We've come a long way.

We're definitely ahead of where we were 5 years ago, but we typically at least have one or two players who are on some sort of hot streak. 6 months ago, Davies wasn't at his best, but Larin was one of the best strikers in La Liga, Jonathan David was challenging for the French Golden Boot, Alistair Johnston just moved to Celtic and instantly became the best RB in Scotland. 6 months prior, Larin wasn't playing and I think JD had an on/off first few months, but you had Kone finishing off his breakout season, Eustaquio was the best midfielder in Portugal, Corbeanu had a really good start with Blackpool; 6 months prior, Davies was out with Myocarditis (?), David ended the seasons super weak, but Tajon made that move to Brugge and looked nice, DSC looked like Europe was in the cards, Liam Millar looked like he was on the doorsteps of a premier league move, so on. Since the end of last year's european season, when I think of Canadians who had a hot streak or took a step up, outside of Choiniere and I guess Cornelius, I can think of Sirois, though he's cooled off, Corbeanu, though it looks like he cooled off a bit, I think Liam Millar at Preston is still early to tell, but my fear is that he ends up with strong underlying numbers and not the production numbers we look for, etc.

Not a knock on any of our guys. I'm just used to watching games or checking scores each weekend and having one player you can reliably tune into and expect something awesome to happen, but I've been looking at the slate of games over the last couple weeks, and it's like- realistically, can we expect anything exciting to happen? David isn't scoring, Larin isn't scoring, Bayern, and by some extension Davies isn't at their best, Kone looks like he hates playing soccer, Tajon's been out, but it's not like we can expect much of anything to happen at Brugge, I'm usually finding myself mostly looking at Millar or Corbeanu, but Preston has dipped from their early form and TC seems to be getting pulled early in games and hasn't done much since scoring that penalty over a month ago. I mean hell, I'm at the point where I'm keeping an eye on Malmo scores to see if our guy- who isn't actually supposed to score goals or really contribute offensively- gets one in. And more often than not, when I think about which of our guys has had the best match week in Europe, Cornelius' name comes up a lot more often than it should.

18 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

According to Italian press, Milan want to get it going with David in January and Lille are open to dropping the fee to €40M since JD is refusing to extend his contract. 
https://x.com/themilanzone_/status/1714165531119358048?s=46&t=spIaqlQfufAO3HreB1455Q

God I hope so I am so sick of seeing David with Lille now. Time to step up to a bigger, better club.

29 minutes ago, Obinna said:

God I hope so I am so sick of seeing David with Lille now. Time to step up to a bigger, better club.

Milan is rolling right now too, first in the league. Plus, David lining up between Leao and Pulisic would be fantastic. 

As an added bonus, I’ve long dreamed of Olivier Giroud retiring with CF Montreal- having Milan turn the page on him would certainly help get him over here (I have no info- just think it would be a cool move)

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

The sad part is that almost all the players he played with at Lille over the past 4 seasons have  transferred to the EPL, La Liga, Serie A . Bamba is at Celta de Vigo and declared for the Ivory Coast this year. 

4 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Milan is rolling right now too, first in the league. Plus, David lining up between Leao and Pulisic would be fantastic. 

As an added bonus, I’ve long dreamed of Olivier Giroud retiring with CF Montreal- having Milan turn the page on him would certainly help get him over here (I have no info- just think it would be a cool move)

Yeah that would be Drobga-esque and cool to see. And would open a spot for David.

20 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yeah that would be Drobga-esque and cool to see. And would open a spot for David.

It would make so much sense- Montreal wants to be the francophone world's #1 team (...anyways), Giroud is nearing the end of his career, a French icon, the middle east is nice sure, and he's still good enough for Italy, but coming over and being the biggest athlete in Quebec for a year or so is a good bet, plus, Saputo is eventually gonna have to spend all that Kone/Johnston/Mihailovic money...

Anyways, I think in the extremely likely scenario that he doesn't move on, I think there's still room for JD. Giroud is 37, will be 38 within a month of next season's start, he's still playing very well, but he's good for ~10 or so goals a year, I think JD could do more, and for Milan if they want to win the champions league, clearly they need to improve in that department. Really hope this happens.

On 10/17/2023 at 3:36 PM, InglewoodJack said:

According to Italian press, Milan want to get it going with David in January and Lille are open to dropping the fee to €40M since JD is refusing to extend his contract. 
https://x.com/themilanzone_/status/1714165531119358048?s=46&t=spIaqlQfufAO3HreB1455Q

I would guess that's the polite way for Team David to tell Lille they've grown weary of playing nice, time they became a more motivated seller.  If that's true this could get fun. 

Not suggesting there's a public spat coming (although that's always possible) just that time is now on David's side.  He's been a good soldier, can still continue to be, but it's 200% about what David needs from now on.  He's already paid back Lille for their investment in him in spades.