Jonathan David

Vince193

10 minutes ago, jhoops__ said:

Not sure if Lille offered him a new contract but they’d be smart to do so.   I think the player wants a move more than the club perhaps.   They’re selling Baleba which makes a David move unnecessary financially.

If I am David and angling for a move I wouldn’t sign any new contract unless it was a substantial increase in wages.  Lille have blocked potential moves for the last 2 transfer seasons with their high asking price and re-upping with a new contract just hands them back all the leverage they need to continue doing that in the future.   If he just continues on with his existing contract he is almost assured of a move next summer since they wouldn’t want to lose him on a free a year after that - and next summer he would be in a position to negotiate higher wages with a new clubs since they would presumably be getting a break on the transfer fee (compared to this year’s asking price).  

All this assumes his value doesn’t plummet due to a crap season,  but he has consistently performed so no reason to think he won’t have another good one.  

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

If I am David and angling for a move I wouldn’t sign any new contract unless it was a substantial increase in wages.  Lille have blocked potential moves for the last 2 transfer seasons with their high asking price and re-upping with a new contract just hands them back all the leverage they need to continue doing that in the future.   If he just continues on with his existing contract he is almost assured of a move next summer since they wouldn’t want to lose him on a free a year after that - and next summer he would be in a position to negotiate higher wages with a new clubs since they would presumably be getting a break on the transfer fee (compared to this year’s asking price).  

All this assumes his value doesn’t plummet due to a crap season,  but he has consistently performed so no reason to think he won’t have another good one.  

I mean David supposedly rejected an offer from a SA team that would have paid him gazillions, so yes he shouldn't extend. Lille's position re David is perplexing. They are a selling team historically re young/ high talent players and  could simply reload & buy another young player with David's transfer proceeds. Downward risk  increases with time.

On 8/26/2023 at 8:44 AM, Kadenge said:

They are a selling team historically re young/ high talent players and  could simply reload & buy another young player with David's transfer proceeds. Downward risk  increases with time.

To be fair, for their big sales at least, they get market value or (often )well above most of the time.  Pepe, Osimen, Botman  Onana,  Leao, now Baleba all sold for at least decently above what they were worth at the time. 

*Not going to be bullied into a cut rate sale, this year.  Overall it has worked for them, I guess.  

*Unless they keep playing like this maybe.

On 8/26/2023 at 9:25 AM, dyslexic nam said:

Lille have blocked potential moves for the last 2 transfer seasons with their high asking price and re-upping with a new contract just hands them back all the leverage they need to continue doing that in the future.   If he just continues on with his existing contract he is almost assured of a move next summer since they wouldn’t want to lose him on a free a year after that - and next summer he would be in a position to negotiate higher wages with a new clubs since they would presumably be getting a break on the transfer fee (compared to this year’s asking price).  

I am not sure if you are aware of this but the player gets to keep a portion of the transfer fee.   It is and has always been in the players interest (just as with the selling club) to maximize the value of the sale.   

Edited by Free kick

27 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I am not sure if you are aware of this but the player gets to keep a portion of the transfer fee.   It is and has always been in the players interest (just as with the selling club) to maximize the value of the sale.   

Are you sure about that? I don’t believe that is usually the case.
My understanding (which I admit could be wrong) is a player may ask for part of or all of bonuses he would have been paid in the next year of his contract if he leaves from the old club, and he would usually get a signing on fee with the new club for signing a contract. I’ve also heard of players asking for a percentage of their contract paid up if transferring to a club where they will earn a lower salary. Rarely have I heard of a player getting a chunk of the transfer fee though. 

Edited by maccaliam
Spelling

image.png.dd5fcfa86f1fdcbdc43e73fe1e483dd5.png

@maccaliam you  are Partially correct.

image.png.26d1f70a7ffd5d3d07193df12c39d7bb.png

It all depends on the contracts and the negotiations between the clubs and the agent of the player. In general, it is less likely to see the player getting a percentage of the transfer fee. The agents are the ones that usually get a percentage from the transfer fee. But this does not mean that the players can’t get any money from the transfer fee

What Percentage Of A Transfer Fee Goes To The Player? - Pro Football Lounge

Edited by Free kick