Jonathan David

Vince193

14 minutes ago, GasPed said:

I haven't watched the video, but I feel like Daizen Maeda (Postecoglu's striker at Celtic) is not that far from David's style and skill set.  For that matter, isn't Gift Orban in the same mold?  (I.e. Smaller, speedy strikers who can play wide, dribble, link up and finish.)

Gift Orban is just an inch taller than David. So you are correct that he is not a prototypical #9 and would have the same challenges as some have raised re David. Btw Balogun is also just an inch taller than David, so all three are about the same height.

13 minutes ago, GasPed said:

I haven't watched the video, but I feel like Daizen Maeda (Postecoglu's striker at Celtic) is not that far from David's style and skill set.  For that matter, isn't Gift Orban in the same mold?  (I.e. Smaller, speedy strikers who can play wide, dribble, link up and finish.)

This crossed my mind as well. One video was saying Richarlison was playing the 9 in Postecoglu's system and, unlike Kane, wouldn't have to come back and collect the ball. It was another video where they were talking about Orban as a replacement. I am not familar enough with Orban to comment anything more than what you've said - all of that is my understanding of who Orban is as a player. 

Most importantly, he's similar and cheaper and for a squad who may want to spread the cash it Orban would make more sense than David.

The more I go down this rabbit hole the less I want David at Spurs. He should go where he's appreciated and the despondant Spurs fans are going to be hard to win over - that's my gut feeling. The fact I haven't seen many (any?) excited about David says it all. At least with Orban there is low expectations. 25-30M is cheap for Spurs - but 60M or thereabouts is expensive, even for them. Spurs are giving me bad vibes. 

The other thing I forgot to mention, which may be critical, is that some of these Spurs fan videos on Youtube are speculating the 100M for Kane may already have been spent - which would mean no investment for David (or anyone else substatial). 

Who knows if that's true or just tinfoil hat / paniced fans breathing into a paper bag kinda stuff

4 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

More seriously Spurs really do need a striker, Richarlison does not look any better than last year. (Long may it continue).

He's not a striker, much less a lone striker.

His best performances has been from LW or playing with a second Forward.

The faster they realize that, the better their return....but fack spurs. Long May it continue. 

3 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I am surprised the PSG links haven't gone anywhere. They could certainly use him if Mpappe and Neymar aren't both around.

They brought in another similar player, I think. Cannot recall who it was now but I think I posted it here somewhere. 

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

They brought in another similar player, I think. Cannot recall who it was now but I think I posted it here somewhere. 

Portuguese striker Ramos...and they are going to bring in Kolo Muani - French international. (Still lowkey trying to entice Mbappe with his friends) 

2 hours ago, Shway said:

Portuguese striker Ramos...and they are going to bring in Kolo Muani - French international. (Still lowkey trying to entice Mbappe with his friends) 

As stupid as a small sample size is, this is the effect of a good World Cup. David was invisible, and now he’s still at LOSC. Ramos came on for CR7 and scored goals and PSG swooped in to grab him. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Agreed.

A "weakened" PSG is head-and-shoulders above Lille and everyone else in Ligue 1 - at least on paper.

To be fair, PSG won the league last year by a single point over Lens which wasn’t exactly an on paper power house. Lille should’ve won their second matchup against PSG last year if it wasn’t for Messi’s beautiful last minute free kick goal. Not saying they can’t replace Neymar and Messi adequately and still run the table, but PSG is realistically the weakest top 5 league titan (city, Real/Barca, Bayern, PSG) and their star player is extremely mercurial, so it’s not completely out of the question for a team like Lille to challenge them. 

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

As stupid as a small sample size is, this is the effect of a good World Cup. David was invisible, and now he’s still at LOSC. Ramos came on for CR7 and scored goals and PSG swooped in to grab him. 

Very true. Alphonso should never have taken that penalty. I can't get over how selfish and disrespectful he was to not give it to David. That was David's job. Such a critical decision would could have very well changed the course of of the team and JD's career. 

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

To be fair, PSG won the league last year by a single point over Lens which wasn’t exactly an on paper power house. Lille should’ve won their second matchup against PSG last year if it wasn’t for Messi’s beautiful last minute free kick goal. Not saying they can’t replace Neymar and Messi adequately and still run the table, but PSG is realistically the weakest top 5 league titan (city, Real/Barca, Bayern, PSG) and their star player is extremely mercurial, so it’s not completely out of the question for a team like Lille to challenge them. 

Fair enough, but it's like saying Bayern lost a key player (they didn't, but entertain me for arguments sake) and so Eintracht Frankfurt should challenge for the title because Dortmund almost snuck past Bayern last season. That's how I see it. 

In fact, crazy as it sounds, PSG may be helped by shipping out Mbappe and/or Neymar. The biggest criticism is they are not a "team" and getting those big personalities out of the door could lend itself to greater cohesion. I haven't taken a deep dive into Lille, Lyon, Nice, Lens, or any of these other challengers, nor have I looked into who PSG has lost/gained, but I am willing to bet they are still head and shoulders above the rest on paper, even if they lose the superstars. 

Edit: But again, point taken. It's paper talk and things can easily come to the wire. I guess I just don't have any more or less hope for Lille than I would any other season. I think the year Lille won was a rarity.

Edited by Obinna

17 hours ago, RojitoTO said:

Very true. Alphonso should never have taken that penalty. I can't get over how selfish and disrespectful he was to not give it to David. That was David's job. Such a critical decision would could have very well changed the course of of the team and JD's career. 

Not sure selfish is the word to use.  Confident maybe.  Good players have to be that way. You need to learn to win.  Maybe it helps Canada in 2026

52 minutes ago, Ruud said:

Not sure selfish is the word to use.  Confident maybe.  Good players have to be that way. You need to learn to win.  Maybe it helps Canada in 2026

My thoughts exactly. If someone else took it (like David), people would be saying “Why didn’t Davies take it, he’s supposed to be the golden boy of the generation, good players step up in big situations and he shy’d away etc etc”. Hindsight’s 20:20

13 minutes ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

My thoughts exactly. If someone else took it (like David), people would be saying “Why didn’t Davies take it, he’s supposed to be the golden boy of the generation, good players step up in big situations and he shy’d away etc etc”. Hindsight’s 20:20

Not too many people who actually know the Canada team  would be saying that, though.