Jonathan David

Vince193

12 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I would argue that it could easily be MLS quality if they acquire enough top players.  They added Mahrez today and it looks like they are continuing to pursue quality players.  

It may not be ideal for the CMNT, but it seems more than a bit knee-jerk to say that JD should be exiled if he took the paycheck.   

Yeah but are these European stars actually going to play competitively? Just because there are a lot of massive names doesn’t mean the games themselves will matter. I get Messi went to MLS not because he wants to win Supporters Shield, but almost every other MLS player is playing for a transfer or playing because it’s the highest level they can reach. How is Jonathan David going to improve his game in Saudi Arabia? If he goes there, his talent and skill level will have capped while at Lille.

he won’t be exiled from the national team, that’s for sure. But this puts him firmly behind Larin, and if in 3 years a guy like Jebbison is playing in a top 5 league and David isn’t, then honestly, he wouldn’t even be our #2 striker. Hell, 10 Ike Ugbo goals in the championship would likely be more impressive than pretty much anything David could do in Saudi Arabia this year. 

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

Yeah but are these European stars actually going to play competitively? Just because there are a lot of massive names doesn’t mean the games themselves will matter. I get Messi went to MLS not because he wants to win Supporters Shield, but almost every other MLS player is playing for a transfer or playing because it’s the highest level they can reach. How is Jonathan David going to improve his game in Saudi Arabia? If he goes there, his talent and skill level will have capped while at Lille.

he won’t be exiled from the national team, that’s for sure. But this puts him firmly behind Larin, and if in 3 years a guy like Jebbison is playing in a top 5 league and David isn’t, then honestly, he wouldn’t even be our #2 striker. Hell, 10 Ike Ugbo goals in the championship would likely be more impressive than pretty much anything David could do in Saudi Arabia this year. 

With a player like David, who's proven what he could do in Ligue 1 and has an impressive goal-scoring record for the national team, I don't think we can make claims that this move jeopardizes his role for Canada. People like to say player X is firmly below player Y, well that's up to Herdman to decide

27 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I would argue that it could easily be MLS quality if they acquire enough top players.  They added Mahrez today and it looks like they are continuing to pursue quality players.  

I keep wondering if Saudi Arabia's time zone is a benefit or not. Are games early enough that they'd avoid clashing with games in the major leagues? If so, could be a benefit to drawing in TV viewers. 

Of course, I think we're all also wondering if this is the next "Chinese league": a major influx of players, who then all scramble to get out after learning what it's really like to live there.

26 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I don't understand this perspective at all. Most of these players are likely highly competitive. Any competitive person I know want to win at everything they do, not just competitions with a storied past

48 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Sky Sports is big but makes stuff up.

Maybe part wishful thinking on my part but I will still need more sources, not one bounced around Twitter.

Edit: Also not a bad way for Lille to drum up business if they are beginning to get antsy.

This would be my read on it. Most of the feedback from the rumor mill seems to be that XYZ major European club is interested, but not at Lillie's price tag. I'm also betting that he's a lot of club's plan B if their desired target doesn't pan out. What better way to get European clubs to up their bids then by scaring them with a big Saudi bid?

Edited by Wasp

4 minutes ago, Floortom said:

It would suck but hard to blame a young kid for getting a bag. He would still firmly be in our regular XI even if playing in Saudi league - dont kid yourselves.

Trust me. Seem's like some here aren't level-headed. 

I would hate this move, but reality is money talks. And I don't blame him for being given the opportunity to cash out. Even after the contract, he should be in his prime years.

Him going to Tottenham would be just as bad. In my honest Arsenal fan opinion.

33 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I don't understand this perspective at all. Most of these players are likely highly competitive. Any competitive person I know want to win at everything they do, not just competitions with a storied past

How many competitive people do you know who have been offered a once in a lifetime chance to play in a significantly worse league for generational wealth? You don’t go from competing for European trophies to competing for the title of the 19th best league in the world and keep the same edge. 

4 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Competitive. I don’t exactly like the idea of a brand new League out of nowhere potentially just buying their way into being a top league with zero regard for quality of play, but on the other hand, I watch the NBA, so I can’t talk much about that. 

It's been around since 1976. It's ranked #1 based on AFC league coefficients. 

I joked about this earlier in the thread, funny enough.

in all seriousness though, David is not going to Saudi. C'mon. This is the guy who said he couldn't see himself anywhere but the EPL and as a youth player didn't want to go to an MLS academy and instead chose to play at an amateur club until he moved to Europe.

I doubt he takes a bag now when he is so close to the top.

22 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I joked about this earlier in the thread, funny enough.

in all seriousness though, David is not going to Saudi. C'mon. This is the guy who said he couldn't see himself anywhere but the EPL and as a youth player didn't want to go to an MLS academy and instead chose to play at an amateur club until he moved to Europe.

I doubt he takes a bag now when he is so close to the top.

FWIW some of the comments on that tweet said that they’ve tweeted similar things about a ton of players that haven’t signed in KSA. I doubt there’s much to this- at least I hope. 

I definitely don't want him to go to the Saudi League, but why are people here acting like it's USL2 level or something and David would get dropped from CMNT selections? The Saudi National team is made up exclusively of players in that league, and they have qualified for 6 World Cups. Much better record than Canada, in arguably a more difficult confederation.

Anyway, I really hope he stays in Europe, but no need to exaggerate. 

17 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

How many competitive people do you know who have been offered a once in a lifetime chance to play in a significantly worse league for generational wealth? You don’t go from competing for European trophies to competing for the title of the 19th best league in the world and keep the same edge. 

He's far more likely to win trophies at Al Hilal than Lille. They're the top team in the country, and perhaps the top team on the continent. You may not value the trophies they compete for as much, but that doesn't mean everyone else feels the same. I think you're wrong to assume a player on a mid-table European club will 'actually play competitively' compared to one that's expected to win trophies every year in country and on continent.

I'm not too sure what you mean by generational wealth. Certainly there are younger people making more money than he would be. I do know a lot of athletes that have made career choices based on money though.

11 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

The reality is that the Saudi league quality will pass mls soon if it hasn’t and they will catch France in 5 years if they don’t stop the spending.

I think one could argue he could gain great experience playing with other high quality players with a Saudi club like Al Hilal, which could be good for his development. 

On the other hand, the recent trend is not sustainable and like all bubbles it will bust. Maybe David could do a quick in-and-out before it implodes. Maybe Saudi will catch France before it implodes. It's going to be a matter of when it implodes though, not if.

I dont think playing in Saudi would affect his ability with Canada. I just think it will affect Canadians watching him or caring about him in his club football career. That would be a negative because people following players club career enhances the profile and interest in our national team. Lucas Moura went to Sao Paulo today so I'd think that also helps the David to Tottenham happen 

12 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

The reality is that the Saudi league quality will pass mls soon if it hasn’t and they will catch France in 5 years if they don’t stop the spending.

In no way is that reality or a definite. They could just as easily turn into what the Chinese league has come after their spending spree of the last decade. 

Edited by king1010