Jonathan David

Vince193

10 minutes ago, frmr said:

Would prefer West Ham.

I suspect so would he.  

Great to hear things heating up.  U is ya been quite a while since I cared a lot about summer transfer season but this one seems particularly interesting 🇨🇦.  David, Larin, Davies, Buchanan, Laryea, Kone - all on potentially big moves.   

56 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I do wonder if his fee has actually increased or decreased at all this season- we keep hearing rumours of him valued anywhere between 40-60M, and it seems people can't even decide which currency that's even in- I've seen figures in dollars, pounds, and euros. No clue how this works behind the scenes, but I wonder if a team like West Ham could get away with a lower fee because I assume they can pay Lille quicker than Italian teams can- ie if WHU offer a slightly smaller fee but pay LOSC in 18 months vs. if Juve offers to pay the fee over 3 years because of their financial situation.

Maybe.  But the holdup with Rice is that we want the money now and Arsenal want to take their sweet time with the payments.  That tells me we probably don't have a lot of cash laying around. Or there is FFP issues in the background.

8 minutes ago, jhoops__ said:

I’m sure David prefers London.  Not sure how’d he play under a manager like Moyes…they play some pretty unattractive football at times.

So does Juventus tbf. Neither are ideal really.

I don't prefer West Ham or Juventus ahead of Napoli or Spurs, but if those are the options part of me likes West Ham for the EPL and Europa League angle. My fear is that I can see them pushing for the top 6, but I could also see them fighting relegation, so that scares me. Juventus though scare me in the sense they have apparent cash issues, seem to be on the decline, plus they have no European football this season. They are the bigger club though and historically this would be an amazing move for a Canadian. He'd rejoin his buddy Weah as well. I feel like he would choose Juventus despite the EPL dream talk from him.

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

I don't prefer West Ham or Juventus ahead of Napoli or Spurs, but if those are the options part of me likes West Ham for the EPL and Europa League angle. My fear is that I can see them pushing for the top 6, but I could also see them fighting relegation, so that scares me. Juventus though scare me in the sense they have apparent cash issues, seem to be on the decline, plus they have no European football this season. They are the bigger club though and historically this would be an amazing move for a Canadian. He'd rejoin his buddy Weah as well. I feel like he would choose Juventus despite the EPL dream talk from him.

Is the Juve thing settled? Last time news I saw, which was last week, they were trying to wriggle out of the Conference League as part of some kind of plea bargain with UEFA. But were still in it at that point.

Taking that into account, I think Juve still would be the safer pick for David. And they were who all the Ital-Canadian guys I watched football with when I was younger supported.  So wouldn't hurt my feelings too much.

That all said, we (West Ham) will need to be successful pretty soon into the season or there is probably a new manager, one who might be more apt to play David with another striker, for instance.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 hour ago, jhoops__ said:

^ I worry about that attack of West Ham.   Bowen is alright and Paqueta too but not much after that…

56 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

Paqueta is a strikers dream tbf and as you said Bowen is alright but outside of that it is bleak though.

Depends how you play what's there.  

Antonio still drags people around; you make smart runs around him and there is always garbage to convert.

Scamacca is a smaller, smart strikers dream partner if he wants to be there and stays fit.

Said Benhrama is super tricky has a nice assist in him, needs a more consistent final ball.

Ings in his prime was a lot like David.  Still a very smart attacking player and could be like Cabella was at Lille, if they ever play together.

Pablo Fornals was part of the Spain U21 side that won the Euros a few years ago.  The Premier League was too fast for him initially, so Moyes converted him to a hardworking two way winger.  He is still a very nice attacking midfielder when given the chance especially in lower pace games like those in Europe.

Again how many of those David gets to play with under the current manager, is what would actually worry me.

Apparently, Man U. have not been "wowed" when scouting David live:

https://www.givemesport.com/man-utd-scouts-not-wowed-watching-striker-target-live-transfer-news/

I'm a huge David fan, obviously, but many of his goals were from the spot this past season. Still an amazing player, but I could see why some would have reservations if there's a cheaper option out there. 

24 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Apparently, Man U. have not been "wowed" when scouting David live:

https://www.givemesport.com/man-utd-scouts-not-wowed-watching-striker-target-live-transfer-news/

I'm a huge David fan, obviously, but many of his goals were from the spot this past season. Still an amazing player, but I could see why some would have reservations if there's a cheaper option out there. 

I like David also, but I agree with their assessment, he's a very streaky player, and he can go cold for months at a time, so it's hard to justify spending as much as what Lille wants. 

I believe if he had a better World Cup, all of the Champions League teams would be interested in him.

40 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Davidinho would be sold to Chelsea for 105M + 20M add ons, here we go!

Lol!  It's amazing what a Portuguese suffix can do!

I do agree that there is a nationally bias in those valuations but I also agree with the scouting assessments of him.

Still, fwiw, he was no. 10 on ESPN's list of top strikers.

The thing about David is that he often does not pass the eye test. So if you just tune in to see him play once or twice, you likely won't be impressed unless he scores a couple goals from open play or something, so that report is not surprising at all. The more you watch him though, the more you see the subtle things that he does well that are probably missed if you just tune in expecting to see a world-beating 25 goal scoring striker. And of course his stats speak for themselves.

7 minutes ago, frmr said:

The thing about David is that he often does not pass the eye test. So if you just tune in to see him play once or twice, you likely won't be impressed unless he scores a couple goals from open play or something, so that report is not surprising at all. The more you watch him though, the more you see the subtle things that he does well that are probably missed if you just tune in expecting to see a world-beating 25 goal scoring striker. And of course his stats speak for themselves.

That's similar to several other top current or all time strikers.  But we have seen enough of him in a Canada shirt where he looks master class and at other times looks in a rut with different areas of his game.

4 hours ago, jhoops__ said:

I think if he was English, German or Spanish the 50m price would be easily met…

Honestly, depends on the circumstances.  I looked at strikers who went for between 40-60 million Euros in the last 3 years or so.  There are some outliers (Haaland, Seb Haller probably overpaid at the time, slightly less so for Tammy Abraham, definitely Fabio Silva to Wolves - though a lot of that was for supposed potential) and older world class players (Lewandoski).  But there are a number in that price range that had as good a pedigree as David and/or were known quantities and had very strong contributions in better leagues.  I looked at Timo Werner (53 mill), Richarlison (58mill) Icardi to PSG (50 mill) and Gabriel Jesus (52 mill) .  

The lowest I have seen David being offered at is the equivilent of 47 million Euros.  That's a little low but not massively so.  Not sure there is a country conspiracy. We are still relatively early in the window as well, we will see who gets desperate once the season is really looming. 

More worried about him getting the right situation than how much he goes for.

30 minutes ago, Fresh Prince of MTL said:

He was ranked number 10 Striker on ESPN’s 100 list, the same one that had Davies as the best LB. Also, no USMNT players on the list. They may top our depth by a lot but our best are better than theirs.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/37949548/fc-100-best-strikers-2022-23

Even though there’s no chance in hell, I won’t lie- I looked at CMs for Eustaquio (might make the top 50).

I think a lot of these David leaks are just teams trying to drive the price down. EPL is still scarred from the Pepi sale, and for a player who has “no interest” it seems about half a dozen English teams have spent enough time on him to talk about it to the press.