Jonathan David

Vince193

On 4/22/2023 at 2:52 PM, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Lille coach Fonesca linked with West Ham next season.

Just saying...😉

Most recently, since it's relevant for you (not David), heard today that Xabi Alonso is being rumoured to replace Moyes. 

Since he was signed for Bayer Leverkusen they've gone from being in relegation to pushing for a Champions League spot. 

3 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think he’s earned a transfer directly to the premier league, no? Feel like he might be too much for a championship team at this stage of his career

Not outside the realm of possibilites we catch Chelsea at this stage. He was linked with them fairly recently and was "flattered," so why not.  We have a better chance of Europe as well, I would say. 

(See what a week, couple of 3+ goal wins, and a draw with league leaders will do for a supporter's confidence😉)

More seriously it would take a different manager for me to really want David, emotions aside, at our club. Ings, proven in the Premier League, is a poor man's David at this point and he has struggled - Antonio does much better in the system. 

And  David deserves Champions League, Italy would be great - a reason to watch Serie A again and a few clubs on the rise. Whether then can pay his price is another thing.  

16 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Not outside the realm of possibilites we catch Chelsea at this stage. He was linked with them fairly recently and was "flattered," so why not.  We have a better chance of Europe as well, I would say. 

(See what a week, couple of 3+ goal wins, and a draw with league leaders will do for a supporter's confidence😉)

More seriously it would take a different manager for me to really want David, emotions aside, at our club. Ings, proven in the Premier League, is a poor man's David at this point and he has struggled - Antonio does much better in the system. 

And  David deserves Champions League, Italy would be great - a reason to watch Serie A again and a few clubs on the rise. Whether then can pay his price is another thing.  

In all honesty, I think I would rather David on West Ham than Chelsea. I'm willing to write off both teams' seasons as anomalies, but at least if he goes to WH and stumbles, they basically have to play him, whereas with Chelsea he can get replaced by whatever random kid they choose to spend 95M on in January for reasons. Based on how terrible they are this year, you have to think that they'd consider anything less than Champions League group stage as an utter failure next year, and a french star failing to bring his EPL team to glory has the makings of a situation that could turn David's tenure in England quite short.

I think Italy could work. Funny enough, one of the most successful transfers in recent memory is Osimhen from Lille to Napoli. Lille got 70M for him, turned around and signed David like two weeks later. Osimhen is now set to leave Napoli, and arguably the best available replacement for him is none other than Lille's Jonathan David.

12 hours ago, red card said:

Last 3 Canada penalties weren't taken by David. 2 were saved.

Think it was mentioned on the broadcast last game that David is indeed the designated penalty-taker. He “gave it” to Larin. 

I personally don’t like that. David should just always take them. Doesn’t matter if his strike partner is on a hat-trick. It’s his duty. Letting others take them has the potential to create too many conflicts in high pressure situations. Always makes me cringe when teammates argue over who’s taking the PK. 

As many thought, it was naive of Herdman to have his young team decide who takes them based on “who’s feeling it”, especially in a World Cup. 

8 minutes ago, cronaldo7 said:

Think it was mentioned on the broadcast last game that David is indeed the designated penalty-taker. He “gave it” to Larin. 

I personally don’t like that. David should just always take them. Doesn’t matter if his strike partner is on a hat-trick. It’s his duty. Letting others take them has the potential to create too many conflicts in high pressure situations. Always makes me cringe when teammates argue over who’s taking the PK. 

As many thought, it was naive of Herdman to have his young team decide who takes them based on “who’s feeling it”, especially in a World Cup. 

The difference between David and Larin’s probability to convert a penalty, especially in one isolated case is negligible, especially when you consider Larin was on two goals and has been on complete fire for the last 3 months. If he makes it and gets a hat trick, that’s an incredible moral boost for the team and everyone is excited for one of their leaders to score a hat trick. If he misses, then we still win the game. Win win situation.

4 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

The difference between David and Larin’s probability to convert a penalty, especially in one isolated case is negligible, especially when you consider Larin was on two goals and has been on complete fire for the last 3 months. If he makes it and gets a hat trick, that’s an incredible moral boost for the team and everyone is excited for one of their leaders to score a hat trick. If he misses, then we still win the game. Win win situation.

Sure but it creates a bad precedent. Just like when Phonzy wanted it in Nations League a couple years ago at BC Place (because “he was home”) and Cyle gave it to him. 

I personally think it’s kiddie-stuff (I know it happens even at top clubs all around the world) but just can be frustrating to watch and imo, like I said, sets a bad precedent.

Also, seems like David is a “nice guy” and may give away more than his fair share to pleading teammates. 

23 minutes ago, cronaldo7 said:

Sure but it creates a bad precedent. Just like when Phonzy wanted it in Nations League a couple years ago at BC Place (because “he was home”) and Cyle gave it to him. 

I personally think it’s kiddie-stuff (I know it happens even at top clubs all around the world) but just can be frustrating to watch and imo, like I said, sets a bad precedent.

Also, seems like David is a “nice guy” and may give away more than his fair share to pleading teammates. 

But you said it yourself- it happens at big clubs, it’s not setting a precedent, it’s how teams work- you let the hot hand take the shot. It’s not like Davies can’t score, he’s still a good PK taker.

6 minutes ago, jonovision said:

If I was a player I might prefer a perennial CL team to a lesser EPL side. As a fan I'd prefer PSG as I don't find EPL interesting.

Woah I liked your post, then had to unlike it lol.

EPL haters...I don't know. Because I barely watch any TV and watch all kinds of football leagues (wife hates it) there's just way to much quality on every team in the EPL, and then you get to watch in multiples games. I don't know how people don't like it. Matter of fact, what's your reason? 

(I actually think Ligue 1 is wrongfully stated as a farmers league, because there's a lot of quality in it)

I think PSG would be go for him based on they are annually in the UCL, and what they are trying to change with Messi and Neymar eventually leaving. I think Mbappe playing with David would be massive for his game, as his positional awareness is on another level for his age. 

So for me, if its PSG I would prefer that move over the likes of "West Ham". Even Newcastle doesn't seem ideal with their strikers finally meshing.

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

Woah I liked your post, then had to unlike it lol.

EPL haters...I don't know. Because I barely watch any TV and watch all kinds of football leagues (wife hates it) there's just way to much quality on every team in the EPL, and then you get to watch in multiples games. I don't know how people don't like it. Matter of fact, what's your reason? 

(I actually think Ligue 1 is wrongfully stated as a farmers league, because there's a lot of quality in it)

I think PSG would be go for him based on they are annually in the UCL, and what they are trying to change with Messi and Neymar eventually leaving. I think Mbappe playing with David would be massive for his game, as his positional awareness is on another level for his age. 

So for me, if its PSG I would prefer that move over the likes of "West Ham". Even Newcastle doesn't seem ideal with their strikers finally meshing.

Most fans, myself included, really can't tell the difference in quality between a top-league and a near-top-league. It comes down to culture and marketing, and I find the packaging of EPL to be off-putting. 

Also, I don't consider "don't find it interesting" to be the attitude of a hater.

Edited by jonovision