Jonathan David

Vince193

If he is going to an EPL team I would prefer he goes to an established team, Burnley as good as they are in The Championship are likely to struggle next season as we have seen with Forest, I just think a more secure environment would be best for him! Of course that doesn't mean he couldn't get onboard with a promoted team and form a great strike partnership with the right player, I just think a club like Villa would be a better destination if he is in fact on his way to the EPL!

12 minutes ago, gator said:

If he is going to an EPL team I would prefer he goes to an established team, Burnley as good as they are in The Championship are likely to struggle next season as we have seen with Forest, I just think a more secure environment would be best for him! Of course that doesn't mean he couldn't get onboard with a promoted team and form a great strike partnership with the right player, I just think a club like Villa would be a better destination if he is in fact on his way to the EPL!

It was a half a joke, I posted earlier that they showed Kompany at the Lille game watching.  No idea who he was actually there to see.  

Burnley will be an interesting one to watch.  A friend we met here's dad played for them years ago so wish them well but all I have seen in recent memory was Sean Dyche-ball - which is utilitarian but not exciting. Kompany will be a different story, though he will need to sign or replace a lot of players he has on loan.  

Dunno how or why he'd go to Burnley, newly promoted sides don't make 50M+ investments for one player, given there's a chance they go back down and David will assuredly have a relegation release clause. He's too good for Burnley.

1 hour ago, phresh said:

Dunno how or why he'd go to Burnley, newly promoted sides don't make 50M+ investments for one player, given there's a chance they go back down and David will assuredly have a relegation release clause. He's too good for Burnley.

I really hope it doesn't happen and partially playing devil's advocate but:

Teams like Fulham, Villa and Leeds, who consider themselves Premier League clubs have spent big after coming up.  In the £25-35 million range for individuals ( to be fair) but well over £100 collectively a few times. 

I think it was/ will be with David, a question of whether the player and  his people want to go rather than whether the teams are willing to pay.

That all said.and it's early days but I can think of worse managers than Kompany for David to work with.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Every reply to this is some premier league fan whining that David is doing this in a farmers league, he was “terrible” at the World Cup, he plays for a terrible nation, next Nicolas Pepe, etc.

God I hate premier league fans. So many are so insufferable. 

19 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Every reply to this is some premier league fan whining that David is doing this in a farmers league, he was “terrible” at the World Cup, he plays for a terrible nation, next Nicolas Pepe, etc.

The Leaf Fans of Soccer

1 minute ago, gigi riva said:

The Leaf Fans of Soccer

« Anyone who doesn’t play for Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City or Chelsea is a farmer, and every player who isn’t European or from like 5 select South American or African countries is also a farmer. As well as a penalty merchant. They’re all dele ali »

26 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Not to get all tinfoil hat, but I do sometimes wonder if some of that noise is astroturf given how much money is on the line. Clubs trying to drive down the price of potential targets by negging their social media buzz; or manufacturing assent among their own fanbase when they don’t plan to sign someone; or agents of players trying to drive the same fan pressure in one direction or another. From a competition standpoint, none of that buzz should affect who gets signed, but competitiveness is only one element sadly. Their are more Chris Kleins out there than we know.

That having been said, Hanlon’s Razor still applies, and most of these idiots are just idiots.

Edited by footballfreak

25 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

It's Twitter though...there is no minimum IQ requirement to participate and give your "expert" view on a guy who you've maybe seen play 37 seconds in your lifetime lol

54 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

To be fair, if you only watched us and David at the World Cup and have seen many Nicholas Pepes from various leagues come through... It is not unreasonable to have such an opinion.

It is by definition an ignorant one but there is lots in the football world I am ignorant of.

I guess my point is, it is not just Twitter where I have heard similar opinions expressed. A multi-decade season ticket holder in England has no reason to know David like this supporter of a Premier League team.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

« Anyone who doesn’t play for Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City or Chelsea is a farmer, and every player who isn’t European or from like 5 select South American or African countries is also a farmer. As well as a penalty merchant. They’re all dele ali »

If it wasnt for Middle Eastern Oil money I wonder  where The EPL would be amonst the other leagues 

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Not just fans.

This is a league that has just 6 English managers, the EPL, they don't even have the talent to manage their own teams. 6, and one, Lampard, is provisional. In fact there are more fired English managers of EPL this season than working.

The English aren't good enough to manage the clubs in their own league, it is the only league in the world like that, excepting the joke leagues. So of course, you are not going to expect fans are smart enough to have a very good grasp of what's going on either. The only thing I like about EPL fans is how they trash-talk rival teams, which keeps everyone a bit more straight up.

Makes me wonder why we have an English manager because that is not really a formula for success in world football in any context whatsoever.

It ends up feeding stupidity all around, like in Canada, where it's forced fed. Before the WC, the One Soccer pundits giving us the bit about there's this player who is the best in the world, a magician, so afraid to play against him (De Bruyne), then oh, he's old, he used to be good, maybe, we should be able to control him (Modric), or the nonsense about some guy who we must fear, but who has been dead as a player, dead, flat-lining for years (Hazard). 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

9 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

If it wasnt for Middle Eastern Oil money I wonder  where The EPL would be amonst the other leagues 

All stats, parameters and comparisons have it behind La Liga, and that is the case for nearly 30 years. The only piece of data that alters that is "they have more money and pay more". 

I am not saying you can't like it more, it is a question of taste. I know plenty of people in Spain who prefer FIBA basketball to the NBA.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

All stats, parameters and comparisons have it behind La Liga, and that is the case for nearly 30 years. The only piece of data that alters that is "they have more money and pay more". 

Disagree. EPL is simply wayyyyy more entertaining, and overall has more quality players than La Liga. The money is a result of that. It’s only in recent years that Atletico joined the pot that solely consists of Barca and Madrid.

So I do wonder what those stats, and parameters are? Cards given which slows down the speed of the game, to which they call La Liga more technical?

For example if La Liga is a higher level, why is that we see guys who leave the league and come to the EPL struggle where vice versa it’s rarely an issue (Hazard cashed out, and lost care vs his actual quality)

EPL has more international players in their league, and less domestic players which again speaks to the quality.

If this was a conversation a decade ago when Spain was winning everything club and country then I would agree.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I am not saying you can't like it more, it is a question of taste. I know plenty of people in Spain who prefer FIBA basketball to the NBA.

This speaks to culture.
“In Russia there are many people who prefer KHL hockey to the NHL.”

Or In England there many people who prefer Rugby super league to the NFL.”

It’s a moot point.

1 minute ago, Shway said:

Disagree. EPL is simply wayyyyy more entertaining, and overall has more quality players than La Liga. The money is a result of that. It’s only in recent years that Atletico joined the pot that solely consists of Barca and Madrid.

So I do wonder what those stats, and parameters are? Cards given which slows down the speed of the game, to which they call La Liga more technical?

For example if La Liga is a higher level, why is that we see guys who leave the league and come to the EPL struggle where vice versa it’s rarely an issue (Hazard cashed out, and lost care vs his actual quality)

EPL has more international players in their league, and less domestic players which again speaks to the quality.

If this was a conversation a decade ago when Spain was winning everything club and country then I would agree.

This speaks to culture.
“In Russia there are many people who prefer KHL hockey to the NHL.”

Or In England there many people who prefer Rugby super league to the NFL.”

It’s a moot point.

You can't just say it, you have to prove it factually.

Compare Golden Ball winners. Players in top World Cup teams. Head to head finals in Europe, three totally different stats.

La Liga has had the best players in the world for almost thirty years, Golden Balls, Golden Boots. Podiums for the Golden Ball. And that is even when the EPL has far more press, propaganda, media hype, so in spite of all that, those who vote for the best players in the world vote overwhelmingly for La Liga players. 

No player in EPL until Haaland, who may win it, was ever at the level of Romario, Stoichkov, Rivaldo, Figo, Zidane, Cristiano, Messi, the list goes on. La Liga kills EPL in great players.

But take another argument, more recent, factual, not your bogus fanboy stuff. Take the final four teams in the World Cup, England and Spain not amongst them. Which league had the most players on those four teams, nice cross section? La Liga by far, and that hasn't changed. EPL is not even a clear second. I have the stats but you won't want to hear them. 

All parameters say the best players are in La Liga. And the best teams. Not just the top sides, Real Madrid and Barcelona, the next tier too.

All head to head matches in European finals, to limit ourselves to critical tests, are overwhelmingly in favour of La Liga teams, even Europa League. It is not even close. In European Cup/Champions, only one English win, in 1981, against, 5 for Spain. In UEFA/Europa League, since the very start, the only English win was Liverpool over Alavés, I remember it very well, 5-4. Four wins by Spain teams, in this century Sevilla over Middlesborough, Atlético over Fulham, Sevilla over Liverpool, Villareal over Manchester United. 

We can go to more stats if you want, it is neverending.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Not just fans.

This is a league that has just 6 English managers, the EPL, they don't even have the talent to manage their own teams. 6, and one, Lampard, is provisional. In fact there are more fired English managers of EPL this season than working.

The English aren't good enough to manage the clubs in their own league, it is the only league in the world like that, excepting the joke leagues. So of course, you are not going to expect fans are smart enough to have a very good grasp of what's going on either. The only thing I like about EPL fans is how they trash-talk rival teams, which keeps everyone a bit more straight up.

Makes me wonder why we have an English manager because that is not really a formula for success in world football in any context whatsoever.

It ends up feeding stupidity all around, like in Canada, where it's forced fed. Before the WC, the One Soccer pundits giving us the bit about there's this player who is the best in the world, a magician, so afraid to play against him (De Bruyne), then oh, he's old, he used to be good, maybe, we should be able to control him (Modric), or the nonsense about some guy who we must fear, but who has been dead as a player, dead, flat-lining for years (Hazard). 

Since the inception of the EPL No English manager has won a Championship,  The Most succesful manager is actually a Scot  Alex Ferguson. 

50 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You can't just say it, you have to prove it factually.

Interesting metrics you are presenting, but my go to would be the UEFA member association coefficient. It used to be La Liga, but England is firmly on top at the moment, garnering more points than Spain in 4 of the last 5 years.

image.png.7f4372378ada1f1a64157b097e6658a6.png

Edit: I am just noticing that one of the years are still in progress, so that might not be confirmed yet (I'm not bothering to look up who is still remaining in those competitions).

Edited by Kent

I am not the biggest supporter of the EPL . I do like it do not get me wrong , but I think it is a bit overrated  but then again I have always prefered Serie A and La Liga. The one thing I have always admired about the EPL is there marketing stategy and how they made there league such a International global brand . When the EPL began in 1992 English Soccer as a whole due to all the violence on the terraces etc was at its lowest point , To go from that too where they are now in maybe less then ten years is amazing