Jonathan David

Vince193

15 minutes ago, rydermike said:

In terms of sacrificing a midfielder to play Larin, David drops so deep, he can almost be another midfielder for us. If Hutch isn't good for next match, maybe drop Eustaquio back, bring in David for an AM role with Larin as a striker. 

I feel we lost a little bit of control when we brought Larin on but I guess that’s a risk you take in certain situations to get the extra attacker in the box. 

6 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

David can totally disappear in games for Canada. It happened in WCQ. 

I don't think the style we play really helps though. The attacking hardly ever comes up through the middle.

I think this is the biggest issue for David. He is not a pure #9 that looks for crosses into the box. Larin is better at that due to his height advantage, but David does a lot more. He is very good at executing a high press which caused Belgium a lot of problems. We should have had secondary scoring today from others who had good chances as well. It wasn't just David

16 hours ago, InBorjanWeTrust said:

He was better than Liam Millar 

In the Spanish player ratings neither Millar nor Osorio got rated at all, because they did not play enough minutes. Which is sensible, even though either could have made an impact to merit a rating.

Meaning: let's not ask someone given late minutes to be compared to someone who started and was in the mix from m 1 on a team that shot over twenty times. David does not make chances for himself, and does not aggressively look to get into the mix and battle it out. In the air he's weak as well. He is also interfered with by Davies, he's better if Alphonso is not goofing around somewhere in the midfield.

Larin does not help him either, because he forces him to be somewhere where Cyle is not. 

I would have liked to see Liam take someone on, take full responsibility, there are moments he plays too comfortably and that was 10 m of urgency. I did not really notice Oso, don't think Kone helped us as we lost shape with Atiba out...in fact our entire shape was lost with most of those subs. 

8 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

If David scored the penalty he should have taken, no one would be complaining about his performance :D

he's a goal scorer... given the opportunity, he will score goals

I rationalise the penalty thinking that the player best prepared for the possible failure was Phonzie, so that was leadership. He is the guy most capable of bouncing back, IMO. Any other would have handled missing far worse.

BTW, Courtois I understand has stopped 5 of 9 penalties he's seen this year, stopped 3 in a row for Real Madrid earlier in the season.

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I would have liked to see Liam take someone on, take full responsibility, there are moments he plays too comfortably and that was 10 m of urgency. 

Is he that kind of a game changer on this stage?  Or is it a glass celing?  As much as I see Buchanan as more athlete with skills than true footballer at this point of his development, his explosive burst on his own 1 v 1 is a big time threat a team needs to police with a double team.  Not sure I get that same vibe from Millar.  Hoillet can be lethal on the left cutting in with that bending right footer and can also draw/sell fouls in dangerous areas, which is equally important

My biggest issue is when Eustaquio isn't out there.  There is a noticeable difference when he is not on the pitch against this level of opposition particularly at this time of year.

On 11/24/2022 at 2:46 PM, InglewoodJack said:

I thought Liam had some pretty feisty runs in what little time he had on the ball. He looked Tajon-esque at times.

You don't need ratings from anywhere to know that Millar did nothing wrong with the time he had.  He ran hard down the wing and got the ball into the box a number of times.  They were bunkered well and had lots of men back so defended those crosses.  He could have tried to beat a couple more guys and take speculative shots but that is a lot more wasteful. 

I love him but objectively David had a bad game. He made poor decisions, he had 7 shots in the box and I don't believe any forced any real save from the keeper and his passing was hit and miss. He can and will come back better.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

33 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

You don't need ratings from anywhere to know that Millar did nothing wrong with the time he had.  He ran hard down the wing and got the ball into the box a number of times.  There were bunkered well and had lots of men back so defended those crosses.  He could have tried to beat a couple more guys and take speculative shots but that is a lot more wasteful. 

I love him but objectively David had a bad game. He made poor decisions, he had 7 shots in the box and I don't believe any forced any real save from the keeper and his passing was hit and miss. He can and will come back better.

Millar fit like a glove when he came on.

He's a problem-causer for the opposition which is exactly what he needs to be on this team.

I think lost in some of the Phonzie criticism is that this isnt the first time David has let someone else take it.  We love that even-keel temperament meaning he theoretically doesnt get that down when things are going his way -- a trait that will hopefully help him bounce back Sunday -- but its also likely why he doesnt seem to have that selfish confidence to grab the ball and say 'No, this is mine'

Did an interview after our games and the English sites have done stories on it over the last few days.

On English club links:

"What happens after I do not know, we will have to see. The Premier League is the best league in the world and I think every player would want to play there some day."

On our performance:

"Any player who plays at the World Cup, no matter what the outcome, you become a better player, you learn from it, and it helps you grow,

The future is bright, despite the three losses. 

There are some good things we take and learn from to try and do better in the future. 

What makes the difference at the highest level is the smallest things, not finishing our chances and not holding onto scorelines.”

One example of a source:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11493977/Man-United-target-Jonathan-David-hails-Premier-League-best-league-world.htm

Something I wish Herdman did with David, manage him like Gent used to do. David was actually an excellent attacking midfielder who became good as a striker but Gent would swap him position when he went into droughts.

My point is that he's an excellent playmaker and we have attacking depth, would be worth revisiting that for the National Team looking at our lack of midfielder depth 

I just wanna see Jonathan leave Lille and if he does in transfer window, then I really want him in the Premier League or in La Liga. 

As far as Premier League clubs where he would fit into: Arsenal, Manchester United, Brighton Hove & Albion, Newcastle

But for La Liga the clubs he could fit in at: Real Madrid, Valencia or Atletico Madrid

On 12/4/2022 at 1:37 PM, Ansem said:

Something I wish Herdman did with David, manage him like Gent used to do. David was actually an excellent attacking midfielder who became good as a striker but Gent would swap him position when he went into droughts.

My point is that he's an excellent playmaker and we have attacking depth, would be worth revisiting that for the National Team looking at our lack of midfielder depth 

We talk a lot about CM, and CB lacking depth….but what about ST depth?

Whos next after Larin(28) and David?

Akinola? 😳

8 minutes ago, Shway said:

We talk a lot about CM, and CB lacking depth….but what about ST depth?

Whos next after Larin(28) and David?

Akinola? 😳

Ugbo.  Jebbison if he commits (and I think he ultimately will).  

Another possibility for the future is Brym - and hopefully CPL will have graduated some striking talent that can impact the national team (Pepple, Pacius, De Rosario, etc).  

Other possibilities in addition to Ugbo and Jebbison:

Jacen Russell-Rowe - I'm really excited to see what he does this upcoming season.  Really hoping he stays in MLS.
Richie Ennin - He usually plays wide left, but he might be able to fill this role.
Lowell Wright - I'm nervous about the amount of playing time he'll get with VWFC, but I thought he looked really good with the U20 team.

None are ready now but hopefully soon.

After that, there are a bunch of prospects that would need to move up a level or two over the next 2 years to be competing for a spot in addition to Pepple, Pacius, De Rosario mentioned above:

Jules-Anthony Vilsaint
Ronan Kratt
Hugo Mbongue
Tiago Coimbra
Marcus Caldeira

No idea if any of those five will hit but have heard good things about all of them.

I think we really need a big body that can win some balls in the air to play with David.  Really hoping that one of these guys turns into that.

Just now, El Hombre said:

After that, there are a bunch of prospects that would need to move up a level or two over the next 2 years to be competing for a spot in addition to Pepple, Pacius, De Rosario mentioned above:

I'll be surprised if Pacius or De Rosario make the leap. Pacius is a good finisher, but I don't see him having enough all around game to step up to more than maybe a back-up MLS striker. Quickness and control just isn't there. I could be wrong, but it would be a pleasant surprise to me if he progresses further than that.

15 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Jacen Russell-Rowe - I'm really excited to see what he does this upcoming season.  Really hoping he stays in MLS.

Forgot about him.  I definitely rate him and think he could be one of the next “surprise” Canadians to attract attention.  Last season he was either doing fairly well with the Crew or tearing it up in Next Pro.