Jonathan David

Vince193

36 minutes ago, kacbru said:

Arsenal fans are almost as neurotic as Voyageurs.

Heh!  I consider myself more apathetic than neurotic as an Arsenal fan.  Ever since Kroenke got ownership, the team has been run more to boost profits than win championships.  Although I did grind my teeth a bit watching Kroenke hoist the Super Bowl with the L.A. Rams.  Too bad he isn't as dedicated towards winning in the EPL.

2 hours ago, rkomar said:

Heh!  I consider myself more apathetic than neurotic as an Arsenal fan.  Ever since Kroenke got ownership, the team has been run more to boost profits than win championships.  Although I did grind my teeth a bit watching Kroenke hoist the Super Bowl with the L.A. Rams.  Too bad he isn't as dedicated towards winning in the EPL.

If only Arsenal had draft picks to trade…

I have a feeling David is going to put up some big numbers. When David was at Gent he put up big numbers in his second season, but I think that was down to him having to pick up the slack from his injured Ukraniane teammate. That's when we saw David dropping back into midfield, floating out to the flanks to create, etc. Not sure we'll see the exact same thing, but if they keep losing players it makes me think he's gonna have to find the game, either by design or necessity.

Edited by Obinna

The longer this goes on the more I think David is in a good spot. If he’s the team’s only bright spot, especially after missing out on a desired transfer this summer, I hope that all opens the door for him to have a massive year. Between the season and the World Cup, these next 5 or so months are going to the most important ones maybe in his entire career, and a player of his level should absolutely seize the opportunity and break out. He’s looked excellent in preseason for what it’s worth 

If someone is paying that amount of money for Onana then 50 million for David isn't unrealistic. One is only paying for potential while David is a young, proven goalscorer.

Also although Onana is 20 he turns 21 in 2 weeks. There is actually only 19 months difference between the two. David has 135 pro games to Onana's 57.

4 hours ago, narduch said:

This one doesn't even make any sense.

I know he is young but he was hardly a stand out last season.

Not sure it will happen, rumours are that David Sullivan does not  want to pay the wages Onana wants for a player that, as you say, was not even an automatic starter for a mid table French team.

All that said, I would take him. Insurance against Rice leaving and allows Soucek to play further forward and ghost in the box.  Not my money though.

3 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

I haven't been following but other than a new manager, have they beefed the squad up in any meaningful way? 

I guess one way to look at it, David will be the centerpiece this season? 

I'm not the most familiar with Euro based leagues but they have been adding players that are mostly journeymen as far as I can tell.

I still worry they will battle relegation 

15 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

I guess one way to look at it, David will be the centerpiece this season? 

The question is the center of what piece? Lille were difficult to watch even when they won Ligue 1 and last year was way worse. Their brightest and best players (other than David) have moved over the past 2 seasons. I'm not sure what Lille's plan is re David. He is a player that needs  a supporting cast around him to succeed. If they want his value to increase they need to improve the quality of the squad around him. I just hope the new manager can work some magic and have them play an attacking style of football

Edited by Kadenge

Im not too worried about David staying. I am kind of excited about what he and Fonseca can do. Fonseca has been desperate to get another crack at management at the top flight and has been in the running and missed out on some big jobs in the Premier League and elsewhere the past couple of years. He is a very attacking, free flowing coach so they should be fun to watch.

The big questions is whether they have or will replace the pieces they lost. Big holes left by Botman, Sanches, Celik, Yazici and Onana looking like they are gone next. They haven't brought in anyone big. Bayo looks decent, the brazillian mid might be a sneaky signing and Cabella is likely the new Ben Arfa and a stop gap. The rest look like sub standard replacements, but that is generally what Lille do. They sell big, sign cheaper players with potential and repeat the process. 

Folks worrying about what Lille have not brought in should remember: if you know you are going to have X from transfers, and Lille has brought in quite a bit, then you are likely going to use it to spend. But spending cheaper and developing, following on the same model as previously.

I doubt Lille will be at all threatened with relegation, basically because there are far more teams with lesser rosters in Ligue 1. Not saying I like the model, but if they are able to bring in 4-5 key pieces, adding a loan or two, they'll be fine. 

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Folks worrying about what Lille have not brought in should remember: if you know you are going to have X from transfers, and Lille has brought in quite a bit, then you are likely going to use it to spend. But spending cheaper and developing, following on the same model as previously.

or most of the transfer money goes to pay Lille's supposed over bloated debt?

46 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

or most of the transfer money goes to pay Lille's supposed over bloated debt?

It's a mystery to me how few people understand debt, I'm seeing this with comments on Barça lately. 

When they sell, first off, they are rarely paid in lump sums, few clubs will buy that way: they pay off over a period of years. Lille did not just get 15 million for Renato Sanches (I don't know the case, I'm speaking normally). 

Then the mere fact of unloading a premium player reduces your running cost in salaries, which might enable you to reschedule some debt. Or sign someone new. Or meet financial fair play which looks at running costs, spending and debt. 

Then, if you buy low and sell high, as Lille do, you don't renounce that as it's the business model. You take the margin afforded by knowing you have income over various years, from selling and reduced costs, and buy with it. Or seek out quality player  loans, which gives you coverage in certain positions without any initial outlay. 

Anyways, better keep past debt at lower interest rates than precipitate new debt at higher rates. 

I might be totally wrong, as I'm middle class and no great financial genius. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's a mystery to me how few people understand debt, I'm seeing this with comments on Barça lately. 

When they sell, first off, they are rarely paid in lump sums, few clubs will buy that way: they pay off over a period of years. Lille did not just get 15 million for Renato Sanches (I don't know the case, I'm speaking normally). 

Then the mere fact of unloading a premium player reduces your running cost in salaries, which might enable you to reschedule some debt. Or sign someone new. Or meet financial fair play which looks at running costs, spending and debt. 

Then, if you buy low and sell high, as Lille do, you don't renounce that as it's the business model. You take the margin afforded by knowing you have income over various years, from selling and reduced costs, and buy with it. Or seek out quality player  loans, which gives you coverage in certain positions without any initial outlay. 

Anyways, better keep past debt at lower interest rates than precipitate new debt at higher rates. 

I might be totally wrong, as I'm middle class and no great financial genius. 

I am also no financial genius, but as someone who has worked for three different companies that went bankrupt, I can assure you that too much debt is crippling at best, and fatal at worst.  If Lille's notorious debt load is indeed massive, then they need to deal with it, and pronto.  A fire sale might be in their best interests in the short term--they might not have better options, to be frank--but that means the team might have to struggle for several years until they get their finances in order.  IF this is indeed the case with Lille, then I worry that David will be surrounded by a very poor supporting cast. Sure, maybe he'll be a bright star among the dross, but this is a team sport and the best players almost always shine the most when they've got quality around them. I don't know how the team is shaping up in the off season, but I am a bit anxious for David at the moment.

Edited by The Beaver 2.0

42 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

I am also no financial genius, but as someone who has worked for three different companies that went bankrupt, I can assure you that too much debt is crippling at best, and fatal at worst.  If Lille's notorious debt load is indeed massive, then they need to deal with it, and pronto.  A fire sale might be in their best interests in the short term--they might not have better options, to be frank--but that means the team might have to struggle for several years until they get their finances in order.  IF this is indeed the case with Lille, then I worry that David will be surrounded by a very poor supporting cast. Sure, maybe he'll be a bright star among the dross, but this is a team sport and the best players almost always shine the most when they've got quality around them. I don't know how the team is shaping up in the off season, but I am a bit anxious for David at the moment.

Debt is only crippling if a-you have to pay it back now or soon, or on a schedule that's too short, b-if you don't or can't generate revenue, and C-if you don't have assets. 

David's record transfer amount from Gent to Lille has been broken.

Leeds target Charles De Ketelaere joins AC Milan - New record sale of the Jupiler Pro League | Transfermarkt

quote: "The transfer of Charles De Ketelaere to AC Milan is completed. On Tuesday evening, the 'Rossoneri' as well as Club Brugge confirmed the agreement, which set a new benchmark in the Belgian Jupiler Pro League. According to media reports, the Serie A club will pay an initial transfer fee of €32 million, potentially rising by another €3 million in add-ons. Never before has a player left the Belgian top flight for a higher amount. Previously, Jonathan David had held the record since he left KAA Gent for LOSC Lille for €27 million in 2020."