Jonathan David

Vince193

It is tricky for Lille. His value has fallen. Do they hold on and bet on him regaining form, having a good showing at WC and sell him in January? Or cut their losses and sell now, hoping for a buyer willing to take the risk that his loss of form is temporary / result of poor support around him? 

From a buyer's perspective, is he the key goal scorer on a ligue 1 championship team or a struggling striker on a lower half ligue 1 team? 

ESPN are confirming that Erling Haaland will be joining Manchester City.  So that's one of the two biggest #9's that is now off the market.  The other is Mbappe. This could help JD when his hits the market in the summer window

Edited by Free kick

5 minutes ago, Mitchryan11 said:

JD is a streaky scorer he isn't going to a top team 

I think you're right.   He is not in the same Stratosphere as Haaland and Mbappe.  But someone (a mid size or slightly big club) could get left without a chair when the music stops and that might help JD.

Edited by Free kick

La Liga teams that would be a good fit:

Real Madrid

I keep insisting on this. Jovic and Mariano do not work and they need someone in that profile who will actually work. Then you have Ancellotti talking about coaching Canada, so he must have seen him play. Then if they sign Mbappe they still need CF cover for Benzema. 

The only other teams that could afford him, Sevilla, Barça, Atleti, won't buy him don't think. He's overpriced at 35 million, say, for all the rest.

10 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

La Liga teams that would be a good fit:

Real Madrid

I keep insisting on this. Jovic and Mariano do not work and they need someone in that profile who will actually work. Then you have Ancellotti talking about coaching Canada, so he must have seen him play. Then if they sign Mbappe they still need CF cover for Benzema. 

The only other teams that could afford him, Sevilla, Barça, Atleti, won't buy him don't think. He's overpriced at 35 million, say, for all the rest.

Jonathan David to Real Madrid considering how loaded they are with talent, I mean would David get any playing time? It would be similar to Pulisic at Chelsea 

6 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Jonathan David to Real Madrid considering how loaded they are with talent, I mean would David get any playing time? It would be similar to Pulisic at Chelsea 

Just have to look at all the minutes Mariano and Jovic have gotten in the last few seasons, with almost zero benefit to the club. Jovic has played 14 league games, started this past weekend, and has a single goal. Mariano has half that many appearances and no goals. 

David would start getting late subs and covering for Benzema, and if he has any production at all would raise his minutes, unlike the two duds they have now.

9 hours ago, Lansdude said:

What mid-table prem teams need scoring?

My broken record answer is West Ham but we need a different kind of striker and he needs a different system if he plays as a forward. On the other hand he would get some kind of Europe, probably. 

I wonder if he could be a part of a Man U ship-out-stars-and-gamble-with-some-new -young-talent move.  Honestly have not paid attention whether Ajax were continuing to do that under Ten Hag. 

Wolves and Brighton are the top-half teams that really struggled for goals. 

- Wolves, as much as I hate their reliance on an agent, is a decently run club.  Jimenez has really not come back fully yet but I would love to see them together until they play us.  They have the Portuguese (surpise, surprise) kid who they paid over 40 mil for, don't think he has scored this year. Wonder if they are willing to risk that again for someone with the wrong agent. 

- I like Potter and his willingness to try things at Brighton.  Troussard's goals might leave and Maupay might be an interesting partner, but not sure they have the cash. 

- Newcastle will have money and their only centre forward scoring at all is the oft-injured and now aging Wilson. St Maximim though is a bit like a better Ikone and Bamba - not in love with a pass. 

Palace have a couple youngish centre forwards and probably a lack of funds. 

Leicester need to replace Vardy at some point but do have Daka and Iheanacho.

Villa seem pretty set. 

14 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

My broken record answer is West Ham but we need a different kind of striker and he needs a different system if he plays as a forward. On the other hand he would get some kind of Europe, probably. 

I wonder if he could be a part of a Man U ship-out-stars-and-gamble-with-some-new -young-talent move.  Honestly have not paid attention whether Ajax were continuing to do that under Ten Hag. 

Wolves and Brighton are the top-half teams that really struggled for goals. 

- Wolves, as much as I hate their reliance on an agent, is a decently run club.  Jimenez has really not come back fully yet but I would love to see them together until they play us.  They have the Portuguese (surpise, surprise) kid who they paid over 40 mil for, don't think he has scored this year. Wonder if they are willing to risk that again for someone with the wrong agent. 

- I like Potter and his willingness to try things at Brighton.  Troussard's goals might leave and Maupay might be an interesting partner, but not sure they have the cash. 

- Newcastle will have money and their only centre forward scoring at all is the oft-injured and now aging Wilson. St Maximim though is a bit like a better Ikone and Bamba - not in love with a pass. 

Palace have a couple youngish centre forwards and probably a lack of funds. 

Leicester need to replace Vardy at some point but do have Daka and Iheanacho.

Villa seem pretty set. 

Give me Manchester United, West Ham or Crystal Palace out of those teams

11 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Disagree with this bit, as Ikone and Bamba are nowhere near as effective as him. Yea he likes to dribble but those guys do a lot of dribble, dribble turnover. I actually think he would benefit from a player like ASM, because although he likes to dribble, he does get the ball into key areas majority of the time, and that is where David likes to pop up.

Newcastle is the only prem team I would like to see him at.

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

Disagree with this bit, as Ikone and Bamba are nowhere near as effective as him. Yea he likes to dribble but those guys do a lot of dribble, dribble turnover. I actually think he would benefit from a player like ASM, because although he likes to dribble, he does get the ball into key areas majority of the time, and that is where David likes to pop up.

Newcastle is the only prem team I would like to see him at.

Agree to disagree, I guess.  I said he was a better version of them because his final move/ball comes off more often.  They had/have their wonder runs/goals just less often.  He still runs into blind alleys and a loses the ball a lot or ignores his teammates a lot.  5 goals and 4 assists is not a great return for someone playing, especially recently, with a lot of talent. 

On 4/28/2022 at 8:45 AM, narduch said:

I don't think people realize how lazy scouting can be sometimes in this sport. Even at the highest levels.

They will see 17 goals and former Ligue 1 winner and ignore the drought.

Those highlight reel goals for Canada back in January help his case too. 

When you say "lazy scouting" are you referring to fanbases speculating on targets or real behind-the-scenes scouting reports that the Director of Football operations will see. Legitimately curious if you have further insights here. 

9 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

When you say "lazy scouting" are you referring to fanbases speculating on targets or real behind-the-scenes scouting reports that the Director of Football operations will see. Legitimately curious if you have further insights here. 

I'm talking about actual football club directors. 

This is my own speculation based on following the sport.

Besides not all teams rely on advanced stats

Lille have to either lower their asking fee, get a new Mgr, play making mid + another striker or loan David to a team where he can flourish. He's not going to improve his stats with the status quo. Lille moved a lot of their better players and mgr over the past 2 yrs to Everton, AC Milan and Athletico Madrid ...their replacements have been poor. Plus Yilmaz has been awful  this yr.

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Barça also has lazy scouting. It poaches players from Sevilla, or looks at leftovers from certain London teams, then complements with quality coming up from the academy. But there is rarely anything creative. And if it is, they give up on it too early because they don't have the solid scouting to stay with it, like what happened to the Nice centre back Todibo, who is a premium player. Ter Stegen is maybe the only exception of the current squad where the staff went out and found very specific characteristics and signed for them, regardless of who or where or what.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Also the recommendations/hawking of agents (multiple and various) are a huge part of "scouting" for teams who want to do things on the cheap, or managers/organizations who have arrangements. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford