Should Christine Sinclair retire from the CWNT?

Robert

1 hour ago, Colonel Green said:

Sinclair was on the field and front-and-center for the only good half that the team played in Australia.

I'm all for a farewell match for Christine, however, the Republic of Ireland ain't Jamaica.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Alex Morgan announced her retirement yesterday. She was the main player that I thought had any chance to threaten Sinclair's 190 goal record. I just double checked the list of top scorers all time and Maysa Jbarah is another that has a chance, if she plays and is productive long enough. She is at 137 goals from 133 games (the only player with 100 goals and more than a goal per game average). She is turning 35 years old later this month.

Wikipedia lists the dates of her goals, but only have 102 out of her 137, it might be missing the goals earlier in her career. Anyways, if the latter part of their list is accurate, Maysa scored 7 goals in 2022, 3 in 2023, and 6 in 2024 so far.

She would need to score a bit more than 10 per year to reach 190 by the age of 40, or a bit more than 5 per year to reach 190 by the age of 45. It's a longshot, but I'm not aware of anyone else who has a better shot. I'm thinking if Sinclair's record survives Jbarah's career, it will probably last forever, or until there is a big change (like goal scoring becomes a lot more common, or there are a lot more international games, or athletes are able to play into their 60's or something).

It probably helps Jbarah that Jordan is not a strong team.  Like in Sinclair's case, there would be less pressure to push her out for someone younger.  I think that Morgan didn't have that luxury, and the same for any other player from a strong footballing country.

I am on the fence on who was the greater scorer, Sinclair or Wambach.  They had different advantages and disadvantages, and ended up being only a few goals apart in the end.  Personally, I think they were pretty much equal, and in a separate class from everyone else.  Not only did they score the most, they did it against the top teams in the world.  Players like Jbarah may come close in their totals, but they would have done it against weaker opponents on average.  So, I think it is unlikely that anyone else will join the top GOAT class, unless they are another freak of nature like the first two.

3 hours ago, rkomar said:

It probably helps Jbarah that Jordan is not a strong team.  Like in Sinclair's case, there would be less pressure to push her out for someone younger.  I think that Morgan didn't have that luxury, and the same for any other player from a strong footballing country.

I am on the fence on who was the greater scorer, Sinclair or Wambach.  They had different advantages and disadvantages, and ended up being only a few goals apart in the end.  Personally, I think they were pretty much equal, and in a separate class from everyone else.  Not only did they score the most, they did it against the top teams in the world.  Players like Jbarah may come close in their totals, but they would have done it against weaker opponents on average.  So, I think it is unlikely that anyone else will join the top GOAT class, unless they are another freak of nature like the first two.

Yeah, the more mature the women's game gets, the less likely the record will be broken. Like, Jbarah for example scored 7 goals in a 20-0 win over Iraq. As the world takes the sport more seriously there should be fewer opportunities like that to wrack up insane numbers.