David Edgar

Complete Homer

2 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I think if he were a domestic he would have been snapped up in a heartbeat ie Jonathan Spector.

Yeah he would have but Edgar has played in England majority of his career. With him more or less not having a club and coming off of an injury he will most likely work his way back into getting a contract for a European side then rather than an American side.

The prospect of going back to Ontario, being in on the ground floor of the CPL and playing in front of hometown fans has to have some appeal to a guy who is probably in his last few years of football.  A guy like Edgar could easily transition into coaching/academy type job after a year or two if he wants to continue in soccer.    

33 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

The prospect of going back to Ontario, being in on the ground floor of the CPL and playing in front of hometown fans has to have some appeal to a guy who is probably in his last few years of football.  A guy like Edgar could easily transition into coaching/academy type job after a year or two if he wants to continue in soccer.    

Maybe if it were any other player but even so if he does make that transition into coaching he will probably end up being one of Canada's assistant coaches for the CMNT especially if he retires from international and club play

2 hours ago, Tg11 said:

Maybe if it were any other player but even so if he does make that transition into coaching he will probably end up being one of Canada's assistant coaches for the CMNT especially if he retires from international and club play

Or maybe player coach for York or Hamilton, get his licenses, cut his teeth as an assistant down the road in the CPL etc.  Sort of the way Bent, Dasovic, Martin Nash and Pozniak have worked their way up into the CPL head coach conversation.  

On 3/14/2018 at 11:30 PM, soccer.shocker said:

His career is winding down either way. At his age that is a devastating injury and full credit to him for even getting back to where professional football is still an option. Whilst I agree going back to UK is better than USL if he doesn’t catch on with another MLS team, I think He’d be a nice captain / player coach for a nascent CanPL team and great for marketing the product so to speak. So, barring another MLS deal or UK $$, my hunch is just that he links up with those whom he knows well from MNT like JDG in Ottawa, Ledgerwood in Calgary etc. with an eye to CanPL for a season or two before he takes up coaching / GM / TV or something along those lines 

Quoting myself from a few months back about Edgar because hey why not. Still a while to go for CPL pre-season but I’ll bet he’s the first signing for one of the nascent clubs. 

3 hours ago, soccer.shocker said:

Quoting myself from a few months back about Edgar because hey why not. Still a while to go for CPL pre-season but I’ll bet he’s the first signing for one of the nascent clubs. 

Fully agree. I think post this USL run maybe he signs short term deal in Europe with a lower level league (maybe a Finland or Germany 3) before signing with CPL in the winter (assuming money is right).

Guys like him, Straith, Ledgerwood, Jackson and Haber are needed for the league and it might be key to some of their careers.

16 minutes ago, matty said:

Fully agree. I think post this USL run maybe he signs short term deal in Europe with a lower level league (maybe a Finland or Germany 3) before signing with CPL in the winter (assuming money is right).

Guys like him, Straith, Ledgerwood, Jackson and Haber are needed for the league and it might be key to some of their careers.

I'd add Issey to that list too

1 minute ago, Pottsy3 said:

I'd add Issey to that list too

Always curious about Issey. He's felt like a non-entity since going to Malaysia but he has been scoring it up there and could very well be a quality singing for the league. I also wonder if he wants to come back. He grew up in Japan and seems to enjoy life in Asia with his family but does seem to have desires for Canadian soccer and does come back from time to time.

But yea, Edgar...

On 6/20/2018 at 12:46 PM, Bison44 said:

Or might want to sign one last 6 figure contract. And that's probably not going to happen in North America.

11 minutes ago, A_Gagne said:

Or might want to sign one last 6 figure contract. And that's probably not going to happen in North America.

I think he's marketable for the CPL and a club might give him 100k. But I'd rather spend that on a creative player or a goal scorer. I think we can assume he would be among the best defenders in the league though if he were to sign in the CPL.

18 hours ago, A_Gagne said:

I don't think he'd get $100k (CAD) in Europe ATM. Maybe India. I think he could push for $80-100k (I think we'll see a lot of kids making in the $25k range but starting XI dudes making way more) from a CPL club and agree with @BradMack on his marketability for the league. 

2 minutes ago, shamrock said:

Sure he will. That is not a lot of money for a League 1 club. 

That's assuming he's desirable for a League 1 team. He might be but he's 31 and was just playing USL post-serious leg injury so I don't see it (would love to be wrong)

On 6/20/2018 at 6:46 PM, Bison44 said:

The prospect of going back to Ontario, being in on the ground floor of the CPL and playing in front of hometown fans has to have some appeal to a guy who is probably in his last few years of football...

There would need to be a K/W team for that and that appears unlikely if the Wilfred Laurier stadium is only available for soccer from May to August as a recent blog post about K/W United suggested. Agree that offering a coaching role is probably the way to entice older players like him that might still have options elsewhere.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

There would need to be a K/W team for that and that appears unlikely if the Wilfred Laurier stadium is only available for soccer from May to August as a recent blog post about K/W United suggested. 

Hamilton is awfully close and will hopefully attract some KW soccer fans in the first year or two (until they get their stadium situation sorted and engage us in a proper bitter rivalry). In the short term I'm sure David would feel right at home here in the Hammer.

Yeah he will most likely be coaching in the next 8 years in 2026 especially being on co-host nation Canada's coaching staff but right now here in the present I don't think he has all that much longer to play anyway. He maybe has like 4 or 5 years left before his career is over.

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

He did play 5 games for Nashville.  I caught one on youtube and he looked ok against USL players.  Whether he is 100% is hard to say, probably only he knows for sure.  

Not sure how long his contract was for there, but his signing had much higher publicity than his departure, if you look at the club's media reports.  He and his young family live in England, though, right?  So that's maybe where he wants to continue living and working.  At this stage of his career and coming off a very serious injury, you have to start looking at the other irons you have in the forge. 

25 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Not sure how long his contract was for there, but his signing had much higher publicity than his departure, if you look at the club's media reports.  He and his young family live in England, though, right?  So that's maybe where he wants to continue living and working.  At this stage of his career and coming off a very serious injury, you have to start looking at the other irons you have in the forge. 

I see what you did there.  : )