David Edgar

Complete Homer

19 hours ago, A_Gagne said:

Likely this was his plan all along. Get half a season of games in to get back to fitness, and prove he's healthy and still got it, and then look to sign either back in MLS or the UK. Positive move IMO

stragetic

I'd be curious to see where he goes next.  There was only a brief mention on Nashville's Twitter feed about the end of his short term deal.  Interesting, because at the time of his signing, they didn't say anthing about it being a short term thing.   However, the summer window is his best chance to get one more major pay day somewhere and it wasn't going to be in USL and probably not MLS.  It didn't look like he featured in the last couple of matches for which he was available.

• 4 weeks later...

Reading the article he wants to be in our squad in 2026 even though he will be 39 by that time. He will be too old to make the squad but if he can maintain the way he plays even at that age then yeah I would have him in the team but only coming off of the bench.

8 minutes ago, Tg11 said:

Reading the article he wants to be in our squad in 2026 even though he will be 39 by that time. He will be too old to make the squad but if he can maintain the way he plays even at that age then yeah I would have him in the team but only coming off of the bench.

Raphael Marquez style.

Just now, Obinna said:

Raphael Marquez style.

Yeah he can be that for Canada but most likely by that time either he will be the captain of the 2026 squad or Alphonso Davies will be...it will most likely be Davies with the captain's armband

You guys are pretty optimistic.  With his recent injuries and the fact that he hasnt been able to pick up a new team isnt promising.  I thought for sure he would have at least stuck around with a USL team...I sure hope he finds somewhere to play and doesnt have to wait until CPL starts in the spring.  Although he would make a heck of a first signing for someone to build around, York..I am looking in your direction.  

2 hours ago, Tg11 said:

No disrespect to Edgar and he is only saying he will not rule out the possibility but when players are playing at that age in a national team it either means the team is extremely weak in their position or they were exceptional superstar players with enough skill to overcome their physical decline as they age. One would certainly hope that by 2026 the former will not be true for us and while he has been a good steady player for us he was far from a superstar player even by Canadian standards in his prime before the injuries. Can't knock his enthusiasm to play for Canada but at 31 coming off a major injury and without a club he may have a hard time making the current roster let alone the roster in 2026.  

5 hours ago, Grizzly said:

No disrespect to Edgar and he is only saying he will not rule out the possibility but when players are playing at that age in a national team it either means the team is extremely weak in their position or they were exceptional superstar players with enough skill to overcome their physical decline as they age. One would certainly hope that by 2026 the former will not be true for us and while he has been a good steady player for us he was far from a superstar player even by Canadian standards in his prime before the injuries. Can't knock his enthusiasm to play for Canada but at 31 coming off a major injury and without a club he may have a hard time making the current roster let alone the roster in 2026.  

Yeah I agree with this wholeheartedly

1 minute ago, matty said:

imma say i'm 90% sure he'll be a cpl 2019 player

After playing for so long overseas in Europe I think he is just used to that and wouldn't settle for playing in CPL

9 minutes ago, Tg11 said:

After playing for so long overseas in Europe I think he is just used to that and wouldn't settle for playing in CPL

He's the type of player the league needs and may be able to get a higher paying gig in it than say League 2 (assuming ownership are looking to spend on national team talent).

I find it really dumb that some fans want the CPL to do well but do not seem to want any national team players in it.

Edited by matty

8 minutes ago, matty said:

He's the type of player the league needs and may be able to get a higher paying gig in it than say League 2 (assuming ownership are looking to spend on national team talent).

I find it really dumb that some fans want the CPL to do well but do not seem to want any national team players in it.

Yeah if he went to the CPL yeah sure he could thrive and get a high paying gig but same could be said if he went to any other European league like let's say Scottish Premier League, Belgian League, Eredivisie or if he were to go to America and play MLS. I argue that in MLS he would actually get playing time and solid money because let's face it he most likely would.

6 minutes ago, Tg11 said:

Yeah if he went to the CPL yeah sure he could thrive and get a high paying gig but same could be said if he went to any other European league like let's say Scottish Premier League, Belgian League, Eredivisie or if he were to go to America and play MLS. I argue that in MLS he would actually get playing time and solid money because let's face it he most likely would.

Your posts kill me. ?

Its like someone told you this board is a competition and we need an answer to every thread.  Your posts remind me of someone bullshitting on a test they never studied for - just a circular thought with no substance that references the question a few times.  You don’t need to have a reply to every thread my friend! 

Edited by Keegan

4 minutes ago, Tg11 said:

He's also 31 and recently returned from a major injury and was playing league 1 I believe before he left. I am very doubtful any of the leagues you listed (other than maybe SPL) would look at him. Mls also is unlikely to want him (the league is trying to shift away from his sort of signing).

1 minute ago, matty said:

He's also 31 and recently returned from a major injury and was playing league 1 I believe before he left. I am very doubtful any of the leagues you listed (other than maybe SPL) would look at him. Mls also is unlikely to want him (the league is trying to shift away from his sort of signing).

Then why shouldn't he go to SPL

2 minutes ago, matty said:

I think if he were a domestic he would have been snapped up in a heartbeat ie Jonathan Spector.

1 minute ago, Tg11 said:

Then why shouldn't he go to SPL

It’s not that simple, there are dozens of factors. Probably the best one is why would Edgar want to go there and why would a SPL team want him at this time? I think with CPL coming on board you’re going to see a fraction of the Canadians in Scotland.. obviously guys like Arfield and Wotherspoon excluded.