Herdman new head coach

matty

11 minutes ago, Obinna said:

The English tabloids are critical of England, sometimes to the point of being unhelpful, but it ultimately comes from a desire to be a winner.

The Canadian soccer media, or at least the ones running with this, do not seem to be coming from the same place, at all.

I don't know about that.

The news gutted me. Canada Soccer seems unable to stop shooting itself in the foot.

But to clean up the mess you can't sweep it under the rug. That's what the media is doing. Making sure Canada Soccer doesn't hide the mess.

Then on the other hand you have Drogba's response. His laugh said it all. 

49 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Then we are just talking past each other, aren't we? I am making a criticism of our handling on this specific issue, because other countries if confronted with this specific issue wouldn't behave like this. Then your response is that we aren't the only country whose media want to make their own teams look bad. Well duh, that's obvious and was never my point.

I mean, it’s literally what you wrote here:

Better question: why is our media want to make our national teams look bad? Drag our opponents through they mud for all our care, but why are we eating ourselves.

We are far from a football nation...

13 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I don't know about that.

The news gutted me. Canada Soccer seems unable to stop shooting itself in the foot.

But to clean up the mess you can't sweep it under the rug. That's what the media is doing. Making sure Canada Soccer doesn't hide the mess.

Then on the other hand you have Drogba's response. His laugh said it all. 

Put me on the Drogba side of the argument. I don't support the drones, but they seem to be common enough not to worry about the so-called mess. Saying we will no longer engage in this practice, then moving on from it to more positive things, is enough for me. It's laughable we are beating this dead horse, imo.

I still think a more developed soccer nation would have moved on from this by now, maybe switching gears to the potential transfer of Cornelius to Marseille, or where David will end up next season. It's all about click though, and negativity sells, especially for us self-loathing Canadians.

I can here the ignorant comments now:

"see....this is why we suck at soccer...had to cheat with drones just to make the world Cup"!

1 hour ago, RS said:

I mean, it’s literally what you wrote here:

Better question: why is our media want to make our national teams look bad? Drag our opponents through they mud for all our care, but why are we eating ourselves.

We are far from a football nation...

I see where the confusion came from in that case.

Cheers!

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

The English tabloids are critical of England, sometimes to the point of being unhelpful, but it ultimately comes from a desire to be a winner.

The Canadian soccer media, or at least the ones running with this, do not seem to be coming from the same place, at all.

I still feel CSA brought this upon themselves, it's not just TSN doing this for clicks and shits and giggles.  CSA was a toxic shit house for years.  They got away with too much gross incompetence.  Good on the media for not turning a blind eye and ignoring it.  Use those idiots as examples for a better future.

I want to chip on the question of spying rivals in sports. 

There are sports where it could make a big difference, like NFL/CFL, a bit of basketball, then any sport involving a direct rivalry between two rivals, and especially forms of fighting: fencing, judo, boxing. 

I am pretty sure that most teams at the Olympics try to go see a rival spar or train in boxing, or judo, fencing, because especially in the early rounds you may have never seen that welterweight from Mongolia or Kenya; same with that Korean fencer, someone who's a junior you haven't seen in judo from Georgia. I think even federation officials who are allowed to be in a building will film a rival on a phone, or do a report. Then, in later rounds, most top athletes have seen each other, they are in international competitions that are filmed, and there are less surprises.

I think it is clear the advantages are marginal to minimal in soccer. Almost everything you can figure out by watching game videos, and a lot of things you should figure out in the first 15 minutes of a match. Only set plays could be an issue, and here it is reaching to think a team practicing near post in a session you filmed will go near post in the match against you. Maybe they'll mix it up, maybe they're training to defend short corners, who knows, it is all very thin ice. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

In Spanish they are calling it "espionaje", which lends a gravitas to our efforts that I like, at least it doesn't make us look like them cheap two-bit small town spies.

I'm sure the casual or intern in charge of that scripting job for the CBC would screw up those words, as well.

I'm not sure why people think the media's job is to play along with a conspiracy plot. 

Especially one as ill-conceived as this one. Who the heck let's 17 players know this ... and who knows how many staff. 

And in restricted airspace?!?

Edited by nfitz

10 hours ago, Obinna said:

Put me on the Drogba side of the argument. I don't support the drones, but they seem to be common enough not to worry about the so-called mess. Saying we will no longer engage in this practice, then moving on from it to more positive things, is enough for me. It's laughable we are beating this dead horse, imo.

I still think a more developed soccer nation would have moved on from this by now, maybe switching gears to the potential transfer of Cornelius to Marseille, or where David will end up next season. It's all about click though, and negativity sells, especially for us self-loathing Canadians.

I can here the ignorant comments now:

"see....this is why we suck at soccer...had to cheat with drones just to make the world Cup"!

I've never managed a soccer team but when this scandal came out, I asked myself why. What did you gain that you couldn't get from watching game footage? Then I heard pros like Jimmy Brenan saying the same thing. So in my mind, the culprits were just damn stupid. But then two possibilities occurred to me..

1) The culprits were lazy and could not be bothered to go through days and days of footage.

or 

2) They were short-staffed and couldn't afford to hire people to gleam through mountains of tape. So they took a shortcut.

Edited by Sal333

11 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm not gutted at all. I accept the punishment but I don't really care. Dont use a drone because it's not really worth it should be the lesson learned 

I wasn't gutted by the punishment. I was gutted by the stupidity of the culprits. I should have been clearer in my original post.

Edited by Sal333

18 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I've never managed a soccer team but when this scandal came out, I asked myself why. What did you gain that you couldn't get from watching game footage? Then I heard pros like Jimmy Brenan saying the same thing. So in my mind, the culprits were just damn stupid. But then two possibilities occurred to me..

1) The culprits were lazy and could not be bothered to go through days and days of footage.

or 

2) They were short-staffed and couldn't afford to hire people to gleam through mountains of tape. So they took a shortcut.

Do you even need to go through mountains of footage though? You could probably just watch their most recent match? Hell maybe even just one half of the most recent match? That's like an hour or two of general observation?

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

Remember Herdman always bragged about how hard he worked and how many hours he spent working. 

It makes a lot more sense now

Exactly - Herdman was obsessive to the most minute detail. Even if there was a one in a million chance of finding something valuable in these drone sessions he was going to take it.

you see this a lot in certain coaches. They obsess about everything - often that’s why they’re successful. But they convince themselves that things that actually don’t matter, do matter. 

12 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm not gutted at all. I accept the punishment but I don't really care. Dont use a drone because it's not really worth it should be the lesson learned 

But just how stupid does one have to be to get caught doing it though?

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

or 

They have months and months between games at times to go over video and break it down. Yes during a tournament or international break the turnaround is quick in games, but again with all the prep time available beforehand your homework should be done or scouts should be at the next opponents match previously 

7 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

They have months and months between games at times to go over video and break it down. Yes during a tournament or international break the turnaround is quick in games, but again with all the prep time available beforehand your homework should be done or scouts should be at the next opponents match previously 

The only thing I can think of is:

1. The people involved with this weren't the brightest

or 2. They were getting away with it with relative ease up to that point so "why not?"