Herdman new head coach

matty

Sid Sexeiro gave one of the most notorious anti-CSA rants when they hired John Herdman and got rid of Zambrano, after a while one just doesn't take his rants seriously anymore (and as such I won't bother to click the link). Why should he be any more "correct" this time round than he was with the previous coaching rant?

3 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Sid Sexeiro gave one of the most notorious anti-CSA rants when they hired John Herdman and got rid of Zambrano, after a while one just doesn't take his rants seriously anymore (and as such I won't bother to click the link). Why should he be any more "correct" this time round than he was with the previous coaching rant?

In 2019, prior to a Caps-TFC match on TSN, then employee Jack condescendingly implied that the Caps would never be able to compete with the big boys in this league so the fans should just take satisfaction in lower league style minor successes.  Jump to now, and he is talking about how the a quality of MLS is down, that "a ridiculous amount (sic) of teams make the playoffs" (which really, has always been the case) and generally sent out a negative vibe about the league.

He reminds me of a car salesman I knew who, when working for Toyota, regularly talked trash of domestic producers like Ford, got laid off but then went to work for Ford and starting trashing Toyota products as overrated.

These media types have agendas, like so many others, and those agendas can change over time, depending on who is signing the cheques for them.

Edited by BearcatSA

In fairness to KJ, I recall he was fairly critical of the MLS playoff format (or rather, the regular season format) when he was on TSN, so I think he's been fairly consistent on that particular point. But yes, there is almost always a certain level of bias in sports reporting when there is a network influence to it, with rare exceptions (like Neil Davidson working for the Canadian Press).

Speaking of consistency, I just watched the Herdman press conference and one of the few straight answers he gave was to whoever cleverly asked him whether he was going to change his tune about encouraging Canadian players to leave MLS teams and head for Europe now that he's the coach of an MLS team and as he & Manning apparently stated a desire to have five National team players on TFC in the near future. His answer was that he wasn't going to change his tune, which seems inconsistent with the five national team players objective, although he did focus on youth development in his answer so there may be a way to reconcile the two.

23 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I was thinking about that deal, too.  I wonder what some of her teammates felt about it.  

Christine Sinclair has pulled in 7 figures for her promos with A&W and Subway. No way she gets those deals because she plays for Portland, she gets those deals exclusively because of her involvement with CWNT. Perhaps the CSA should get a cut from those deals.

Not sure if this was posted before...I certainly didn't see it. Despite the headline, I think their comments - especially Laryea's - add more fuel to the fire that the timing was right from a national team perspective for Herdman to move on.  I also don't recall anyone claiming that he'd lost the locker room "completely" (although maybe that is the question that the reporters are asking), just suggestions that the cracks were beginning to emerge and things were starting to head in that direction. And given that "Brotherhood" and Astronaut-inspired motivation is Herdman's bread and butter, probably better for this move to happen now rather than for it to get progressively worse since he's not likely to compensate with brilliant tactics or more "Let's Go Fuck Argentina!" comments.

https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/sam-adekugbe-richie-laryea-fire-back-at-reports-john-herdman-lost-canmnt-s-locker-room-1.2001643

11 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Not sure if this was posted before...I certainly didn't see it. Despite the headline, I think their comments - especially Laryea's - add more fuel to the fire that the timing was right from a national team perspective for Herdman to move on.  I also don't recall anyone claiming that he'd lost the locker room "completely" (although maybe that is the question that the reporters are asking), just suggestions that the cracks were beginning to emerge and things were starting to head in that direction. And given that "Brotherhood" and Astronaut-inspired motivation is Herdman's bread and butter, probably better for this move to happen now rather than for it to get progressively worse since he's not likely to compensate with brilliant tactics or more "Let's Go Fuck Argentina!" comments.

https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/sam-adekugbe-richie-laryea-fire-back-at-reports-john-herdman-lost-canmnt-s-locker-room-1.2001643

Very balanced and respectful comments from the two players and balanced reporting from "TSN.ca Staff", although the headline doesn't really reflect the contents. 

Edited by jonovision

7 hours ago, johnyb said:

Christine Sinclair has pulled in 7 figures for her promos with A&W and Subway. No way she gets those deals because she plays for Portland, she gets those deals exclusively because of her involvement with CWNT. Perhaps the CSA should get a cut from those deals.

Grosso isn't the CWNT face of BMO for being with Juventus ladies, either.  I'm just really curious as to how that really goes over with her teammates.  Maybe the veteran likes of Fleming and others are totally cool with it and if so, that speaks volumes about them.

12 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Laryea basically called out CMNT fans for not being realistic which is what we have seen on this forum. Some on here are quite upset at our "current form" but have no perspective on our opponents quality and our squads true quality. 

23 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Has Sid Sexeiro fully transitioned yet? I'm so grateful I live in Vancouver and I can almost fully ignore his nonsense 

1 hour ago, Bigandy said:

Laryea basically called out CMNT fans for not being realistic which is what we have seen on this forum. Some on here are quite upset at our "current form" but have no perspective on our opponents quality and our squads true quality. 

Think that's a misleading description, if this is the quote being referred to:

... “We have a very good group at the national team. I would not use the word lost, but I think people started putting the national team at a higher and higher standard, which is normal. I think we want to make this a footballing country. So to say he’s lost the room … after we’ve gone to a World Cup, finished top of the group for qualifying, went to a Nation’s League final … I don’t know if people are being very realistic with that.

“I get it from a fan perspective. You want the national team to grow and grow and grow, and I think that’s what it needs to do. … Maybe this will be a breath of fresh air for John getting a new environment, and a new environment and breath of fresh air for all the guys on the national team as well.” ...

What he was calling out was the "lost the room" narrative.

14 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Grosso isn't the CWNT face of BMO for being with Juventus ladies, either.  I'm just really curious as to how that really goes over with her teammates.  Maybe the veteran likes of Fleming and others are totally cool with it and if so, that speaks volumes about them.

I think if you look in most countries it’s not news that the women’s teams tend to be more internally unified. The nature of the women’s game means everyone is a lot more used to showing solidarity, because they’re always having to fight for resources, respect, etc. from everyone else. So I don’t have much trouble believing that Grosso’s teammates are happy to see one of them getting a deal.

26 minutes ago, Colonel Green said:

I think if you look in most countries it’s not news that the women’s teams tend to be more internally unified. The nature of the women’s game means everyone is a lot more used to showing solidarity, because they’re always having to fight for resources, respect, etc. from everyone else. So I don’t have much trouble believing that Grosso’s teammates are happy to see one of them getting a deal.

Hopefully that is indeed the case.  But as we have see with the Zambrano affair and the Herdman saga (and many, many others), supposed insiders sit on such negative stories until the aftermath of an event.  

1 minute ago, BearcatSA said:

Hopefully that is indeed the case.  But as we have see with the Zambrano affair and the Herdman saga (and many, many others), supposed insiders sit on such negative stories until the aftermath of an event.  

Okay, now I get your point about Grosso! 😄 Yes, and a good point!

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think that's a misleading description, if this is the quote being referred to:

... “We have a very good group at the national team. I would not use the word lost, but I think people started putting the national team at a higher and higher standard, which is normal. I think we want to make this a footballing country. So to say he’s lost the room … after we’ve gone to a World Cup, finished top of the group for qualifying, went to a Nation’s League final … I don’t know if people are being very realistic with that.

“I get it from a fan perspective. You want the national team to grow and grow and grow, and I think that’s what it needs to do. … Maybe this will be a breath of fresh air for John getting a new environment, and a new environment and breath of fresh air for all the guys on the national team as well.” ...

What he was calling out was the "lost the room" narrative.

He was calling out the fact that people are putting CMNT at a higher and higher standard to unrealistic expectations. Yes he used the locker room as an example but his justification was the performances and accomplishments of the match results. Its a bit of both. 

You can extrapolate further. What are the reasons people are saying JH lost the dressing room.... because results havent been going our way and/or reports of player unrest that so far has been denied by every player who has publicly spoke and reaffirmed with social media posts thanking JH.  Im sure it wasnt all roses and daisys as motivational coaches cant live on that forever, but I think laryea talking about results, dressing room harmony and unrealistic fan expectations means he was referring to all of them...

23 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Fleming is a real introvert, so she wouldn't be fussed about it. 

Grosso has also earned it as she has become a football social media star since she joined Juventus. Within CWNT, she is only behind Huitema. She was ranked #2 in Neilsen's Biggest BreakThrough Players in terms of Influencer impact over the past year ending May. 

On the pitch, she was named Serie A's midfielder of the year.

Edited by red card

On 9/1/2023 at 6:45 PM, red card said:

Fleming is a real introvert, so she wouldn't be fussed about it. 

Grosso has also earned it as she has become a football social media star since she joined Juventus. Within CWNT, she is only behind Huitema. She was ranked #2 in Neilsen's Biggest BreakThrough Players in terms of Influencer impact over the past year ending May. 

On the pitch, she was named Serie A's midfielder of the year.

You can see that she is very marketable.

On 9/1/2023 at 1:23 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

So the Fraser Valley, and VFC, ARE in Vancouver, glad you finally cleared that up.

You must be a fan of that glutton Sidney Sexeiro. He's transitioned from Vanilla Ice to Michelle Obama but when soccer comes  all of a sudden he's Portuguese and he instantly thinks he's Fernando Santos. The only thing that guy has to do with soccer is he often gets mistaken for a ball

Oh and by the way I don't live in the Fraser Valley but good try

Edited by SpursFlu

9 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

You must be a fan of that glutton Sidney Sexeiro. He's transitioned from Vanilla Ice to Michelle Obama but when soccer comes  all of a sudden he's Portuguese and he instantly thinks he's Fernando Santos. The only thing that guy has to do with soccer is he often gets mistaken for a ball

Oh and by the way I don't live in the Fraser Valley but good try

WTF are you blabbing on about .I wish we had more people like Sid  commenting on Soccer here in this country 

15 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

WTF are you blabbing on about .I wish we had more people like Sid  commenting on Soccer here in this country 

He was cool 10 years ago but nowadays he just comes across like a bully. He just says whatever as loud as he can to get attention. Seems like he's got some anger issues to me

Edited by SpursFlu