Herdman new head coach

matty

It's a long thread so I may have missed it, but while Herdman had additional assistant coaches and such, he was also the one knocking on doors to find sponsors for the team, additional coaches, etc. My point there being that while his spending may have increased he was also working on the funding for it.

13 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

It's a long thread so I may have missed it, but while Herdman had additional assistant coaches and such, he was also the one knocking on doors to find sponsors for the team, additional coaches, etc. My point there being that while his spending may have increased he was also working on the funding for it.

Difficult to argue with the extra expenses when the first World Cup qualification for 36 years was the end result. That should have led to a cash bonanza, but someone, for the sake of the argument let's call him Victor, signed over key sponsorship and broadcasting revenue streams to CSB for a fixed annual fee...

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Bottom line is that most modern pro athletes are smart enough (and have been strongly advised) not to burn bridges.  Herdman is gone and it does no one any good to bitch about internal locker room issues. I don’t think you can take bland statements, tweets (“X’s”?) etc at face value.  Just like hockey players give canned answers to interviews, social media coordinators post platitudes that will not offend anyone.  You may get the occasional kernel of truth but mostly it is just pablum.   

15 minutes ago, GasPed said:

That is quite the thing to say when the player you're referring to has just given you hearty thanks and well-wishes.  Wow.

One thing Herdman excels at is casting himself in a positive light.  It has been an ever present feature throughout his tenure.  I fully expect that all of his statements about this parting will continue this trend.  

That dig towards Phonzie and the talk of Herdman leaking info to the media. I can't help but wonder about that bizarre article during the world cup written about Alphonso flashing with jewelry, him having more money than some of the other players and it being an issue. Kinda makes you think.. where did all that come from?

Edited by SpursFlu

9 hours ago, red card said:

Also can throw in player billboards, Canada House, doc series & enhanced family/friends package for both men & women World Cups. 

There was also quite of bit of extra Celebration Tour spends such as getting rings for the players. 

Puts the whole Iran/Panama fiasco into a whole different light.

There are times when "Keeping up with the Jones" just doesn't work.

40 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

"individuals with deals that challenge the culture"  ...what was Herdman referring to? Disparity in player incomes?

My guess would be Davies not being part of team sponsorships because he had his own with obvious non-compete clauses. 

Or at least that's part of it.

I just remember it being a slightly big deal who was actually in the Gatorade ad. 

38 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

"individuals with deals that challenge the culture"  ...what was Herdman referring to? Disparity in player incomes?

I assumed it was Davies reserving the rights to his image and not wanting the CSA to use his image - or something like that. Someone else who followed more closely can correct if that's not entirely accurate, but I do remember something along those lines being an issue and I assumed that's what was being referred to. 

It could be player incomes, I guess, but if I think of the core players last cycle and their incomes, I think about someone like Miller on the lower end, but he was making 200-300k USD. I know careers are short, but that seems like a very comfortable salary for me living in a place like Montreal, where real estate and rents are not in a hyper bubble like Toronto or Vancouver.

On the other end of the spectrum Davies was making 5M euros and David was making around 3M euros, I think. Obviously that's night and day in the difference, but the main thing is those lower end guys were probably making enough to be comfortable, so if it's on income alone I find it hard to imagine an issue.

Maybe though it was something with promotional deals falling through because of someone like Davies and that could have added an extra 50k in someone like Miller's pocket (totally making up numbers here) and as comfortable as you may be getting paid 200-300k USD you'd probably be a little upset not to get that extra 50k (or whatever the amount could have been).

15 minutes ago, Obinna said:

the main thing is those lower end guys were probably making enough to be comfortable, so if it's on income alone I find it hard to imagine an issue.

Isn't it very well documented that compensation was an issue? I thought that was largely what the players dispute with CSA was largely about

21 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I assumed it was Davies reserving the rights to his image and not wanting the CSA to use his image - or something like that. Someone else who followed more closely can correct if that's not entirely accurate, but I do remember something along those lines being an issue and I assumed that's what was being referred to. 

It could be player incomes, I guess, but if I think of the core players last cycle and their incomes, I think about someone like Miller on the lower end, but he was making 200-300k USD. I know careers are short, but that seems like a very comfortable salary for me living in a place like Montreal, where real estate and rents are not in a hyper bubble like Toronto or Vancouver.

On the other end of the spectrum Davies was making 5M euros and David was making around 3M euros, I think. Obviously that's night and day in the difference, but the main thing is those lower end guys were probably making enough to be comfortable, so if it's on income alone I find it hard to imagine an issue.

Maybe though it was something with promotional deals falling through because of someone like Davies and that could have added an extra 50k in someone like Miller's pocket (totally making up numbers here) and as comfortable as you may be getting paid 200-300k USD you'd probably be a little upset not to get that extra 50k (or whatever the amount could have been).

I think anyone on the NT who went to Qatar ( especially the top dozen ) are making enough money from their contract that wages playing for Canada are not as significant as it would have been 5-10 years ago.  I think it has more to do with they are now a WC squad and generally considered a top 3 squad in the region.  They want to be recognized for it.  The standard of level has now increased and their pay should be reflective of that.

31 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

My guess would be Davies not being part of team sponsorships because he had his own with obvious non-compete clauses. 

Or at least that's part of it.

I just remember it being a slightly big deal who was actually in the Gatorade ad. 

Pretty sure Davies' deal with BMO and his reported refusal to wear the CIBC provided practice kit were part of it.  Plus, wasn't it he who got the first image rights allowance from CSA causing sinclair to wonder where that was all her career?  Then of course there's the WC prize money issue where he said he would donate his while some players fought tooth and nail for all they could get. 

9 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Pretty sure Davies' deal with BMO and his reported refusal to wear the CIBC provided practice kit were part of it...

^^^think this part is actually problematic for anyone trying to spin his actions as not being anti-CSB deal unlike the other players. Check out what's just below the left shoulder on every CanPL jersey this season, if you don't get what I am talking about. He may have been looking after numero uno in a way others on the roster or coaching the CMNT viewed as selfish but BMO wasn't the bank that signed on the dotted line with CSB and the CSA and the player that CIBC would have most wanted wearing the training kit would have been him.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

^^^think this part is actually problematic for anyone trying to spin his actions as not being anti-CSB deal unlike the other players. Check out what's just below the left shoulder on every CanPL jersey this season, if you don't get what I am talking about. He may have been looking after numero uno in a way others on the roster or coaching the CMNT viewed as selfish but BMO wasn't the bank that signed on the dotted line with CSB and the CSA and the player that CIBC would have most wanted wearing the training kit would have been him.

Im confused by this? 

If hes sponsored by bank 1, he cannot endorse bank 2. It has nothing to do with CPL or CSB. 

Just like Ronaldo is sponsored by nike, wont feature in an adidas commercial. 

23 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Im confused by this? 

If hes sponsored by bank 1, he cannot endorse bank 2. It has nothing to do with CPL or CSB. 

Just like Ronaldo is sponsored by nike, wont feature in an adidas commercial. 

I agree.

But we haven't had anything remotely close to Ronaldos or their deals in the Canadian Soccer scene before.

People can honestly correct me on this but isn't it fairy uncharted territory?

Edit -  And fairly as well ( bloody autocorrect.)

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford