Herdman new head coach

matty

33 minutes ago, frmr said:

...except there's a very good chance that it will be a bad thing.

...and literally nobody is treating this as if the sky is falling—just that in the current state of Canada Soccer, most (reasonable) people do not have much confidence that they will be able to afford or attract a better replacement.

Other than those two small points, your post is bang on.

It's not that complicated. If they're allowed to spend the money without equally paying someone to coach the women's team.

If they have to obey by some nonsensical equal pay formula with the women's team then they'll have no money and they have to hire Biello or someone with that profile. And then just hope it works. 

I'm not sure what the ransom note says? What do they have to do to get the media off their backs? Maybe hire a woman or something because clearly people just buy whatever the media pours down their throat and that sets the tone for the CSA to be able to create revenue.

Either way I'm good. Create a budget and hire the best coach within that budget and then we all have to live with that

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, trc2014 said:

A bit scared Herdman didnt bring Biello with him but brought everyone else.  Makes me question what he thinks about his coaching.  Good chance with the mess the CSA is now that interim becomes a permanent hire.

That's not my read personally. Biello may have just prefered to stay and be the interim head coach. It's not a bad gig considering the timing. He'll get to lead the team into some big games and with how slow the CSA is he may actually get to lead them into Copa America, should we qualify.

I assume Neville remains as well?

This seemed inevitable so I guess that's why I am not too upset at the news. I made peace with it already. Change can be good and he had a whole slew of staff members, so if he's only taking those individuals I feel okay with things in the "interim". 

I hope we take some inspiration from the states after they lost their coach and had an interim themselves. Big difference is that USMNT were not saddled with a bunch of off field issues.

Either way, we move on. Thanks John and good luck at TFC!

I also geniunely and sincerely thank him for leading us to World Cup qualification, an absolutely tremendous accomplishment, as well as for his terrific work in leading the CWNT before that.  I truly wish for him all the very best with TFC for the next several years.

Thanks, John!  Looking forward to having you join the rest of us in cheering on the team during the 2026 World Cup!

26 minutes ago, Obinna said:

That's not my read personally. Biello may have just prefered to stay and be the interim head coach. It's not a bad gig considering the timing. He'll get to lead the team into some big games and with how slow the CSA is he may actually get to lead them into Copa America, should we qualify.

I assume Neville remains as well?

Funny there hasn't been any mention of Phil in the press, has there?

Just now, Gian-Luca said:

I thought Phil Neville was specifically only contracted for the two summer tourneys (Nations League & Gold Cup). They wouldn't have to announce that he was leaving if he's not under contract.

I expect to see him at TFC before I see him with Canada again, but I'm not sure I expect to see him at either.

Maybe he can get an assistant coaching gig in the Saudi league. 

Think what you want about his coaching ability, but its a pretty damning look at the CSA that a coach just left a guaranteed world cup at home to join the most dysfunctional and craptastic team in MLS. 

Also have to wonder who was more responsible for all tye dual Nats saying they stay in contact - Herdman or CSA.

Anyways, as was mentioned, excited for Cochrane 2.0 where they search the high seas for a year to find the guy in the waiting room

Herdman ain't getting any younger and let's not remember 1 shocking fact. John Herdman has never managed a football club in his life.

I know he's a decent coach and I know he's got ambition. I think he's strategic also. I'm no tfc fan but they've got resources to turn it around. If he can pump and dump tfc in the next 3 years he could be in line for something in England but from where he's standing right right now he was never going to get a big gig in Europe or England.

Edited by SpursFlu

I'm very grateful for the honest discussion they had on Onesoccer.  I could tell there was something up after KJ immediately went after Herdman following the Nations League loss.

I agree with his overall sentiment. We just get way in to our feelings when it comes to these things. Coaches come coaches go. It was interesting to hear them say that there are definitely some players who are happy he's leaving. I also really liked how they took several shots at a certain report for Bell media

5 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm very grateful for the honest discussion they had on Onesoccer.  I could tell there was something up after KJ immediately went after Herdman following the Nations League loss.

I agree with his overall sentiment. We just get way in to our feelings when it comes to these things. Coaches come coaches go. It was interesting to hear them say that there are definitely some players who are happy he's leaving. I also really liked how they took several shots at a certain report for Bell media

Yeah very honest and truthful. 

i love KJ and thought tonight was a very good night with very good reporting and opinions except:

the World Cup was by no means a failure, we were out classed and that narrative needs to end. Second, KJ himself said it at the time that we were not expected to win these games.

finally, them going after Rick and TSN, and seemingly saying John was feeding info is bs. Rick is one of the best in the business and they are right that tsn isn’t investing, the CSB is siphoning… 

all this being said, no one should be surprised that the players turned on John. Glad it is being told as is.

It just really fell apart around the time of New Zealand.

15 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Yeah very honest and truthful. 

i love KJ and thought tonight was a very good night with very good reporting and opinions except:

the World Cup was by no means a failure, we were out classed and that narrative needs to end. Second, KJ himself said it at the time that we were not expected to win these games.

finally, them going after Rick and TSN, and seemingly saying John was feeding info is bs. Rick is one of the best in the business and they are right that tsn isn’t investing, the CSB is siphoning… 

all this being said, no one should be surprised that the players turned on John. Glad it is being told as is.

It just really fell apart around the time of New Zealand.

Well I respectfully disagree.

I dont think the World Cup performance was a disaster but I thought it to be a disappointment 

But one other point was interesting. KJ saying certain players were very frustrated with the negative reporting and felt it was a distraction.

I'm going by memory but did they say since they qualified the record has been 7-17? Pretty bad

The said what I've speculated for a while and that this move freed up a lot of money for the CSA. I believe they'll save money and upgrade 

Edited by SpursFlu

26 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Well I respectfully disagree.

I dont think the World Cup performance was a disaster but I thought it to be a disappointment 

But one other point was interesting. KJ saying certain players were very frustrated with the negative reporting and felt it was a distraction.

I'm going by memory but did they say since they qualified the record has been 7-17? Pretty bad

The said what I've speculated for a while and that this move freed up a lot of money for the CSA. I believe they'll save money and upgrade 

How so ? 

Morocco never got the respect the deserved and went to the semi finals, were we really supposed to be Croatia ? Belgium we did everything but score and that game was a shock to the world.