Herdman new head coach

matty

2 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

A bit scared Herdman didnt bring Biello with him but brought everyone else.  Makes me question what he thinks about his coaching.  Good chance with the mess the CSA is now that interim becomes a permanent hire.

Biello surely knew he'd get interim.  It's a good deal and test for him.

1 minute ago, blueseeka said:

I think we are kidding ourselves, if we believe there will be any real budget for a decent coach. CSA skipped booking a game in the September window. There is no budget. The rumor had been Forge's coach, if he stepped down

They literally have the amount they were spending on Herdman, who had just re-upped his contract. 

Now they can either use that budget to try and find a better tactician, or save some money and maybe support the program in other areas (either with more youth camps or by meeting the players wage demands).  The interesting thing for me will be if the players use this to push for more $$$, knowing full well that it would handcuff the CSA in terms of the calibre of coach they can recruit.  

3 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

A bit scared Herdman didnt bring Biello with him but brought everyone else.  Makes me question what he thinks about his coaching.  Good chance with the mess the CSA is now that interim becomes a permanent hire.

Biello is more of a CSA-guy than a Herdman-guy.  He may have seen the chance to step out of his shadow and make the next big step.   I wouldn’t read anything into that.  

31 minutes ago, VinceA said:

We made a Men's WC for the first time in decades and we seem worse off.

Seem to be, from a hardcore fan perspective.  Realistically, the unionizing of the players, the gender equity, the labor deals  all of this off the field stuff needed to happen eventually and success on the field pushed this stuff to the forefront.  And its messy, a lot of it has already happened at bigger soccer nations..we are just catching up.  CSA needed to grow to meet the demands of the better national teams, it all wasnt goign to happen without growing pains,

Just like it took awhile for the MLS clubs to move the CMNT needle, CPL will eventually as well. This round of world class talent and recent on field success will help create the interest/investemnt and momentum to push the program forward if we dont fuck it up.  Its not about one guy, one miracle worker.  We have players now all over top leagues, winning trophies and bringing that confidence/experience back to the national team camps, passing it on to younger players.  This was all happening before Herman came over, and it should continue on after he is gone.  He did a good job motivating and helping to instill belief in the players and together they pushed us further and quicker than we all dreamed off.  So now go cash the big cheques at TFC, see if they will still buy the "die for the shirt" routine after seeing how it ended with CMNT.  

Interesting that De Vos thanks these folks:

“I would like to thank Simon, Eric, Alex and Cesar for their immense contributions to the game in Canada,” said Jason deVos, interim General Secretary. “Having worked closely with these individuals behind the scenes, I have experienced first-hand the value they have brought to Canada Soccer. I want to thank them for the countless hours they have given to Canada Soccer and wish them all the best in their new endeavors.”

but not Herdman who instead is thanked by Crooks. Probably another accidental public relations gaffe on his part rather than an intentional slur, but who knows.

https://canadasoccer.com/news/john-herdman-departs-canada-soccer-mens-national-team/

As someone with a soft spot for TFC, I’m happy.

But as someone who is a fan of the national team, I’m very happy. 

My biggest concern is if the CSA hiring committee is smart enough to sort out a decent gaffer from the vultures and hacks who want an easy in to coaching at a World Cup. 

Edited by Califax

4 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

CSA press release August 2024   "after an exhaustive international and domestic search over the past 12 months, we are pleased to announce that Mauro Biello has been appointed as head coach for the CMNT to 2026."

Wonder what Stephen Hart is up to these days? The CSA could probably afford his services and he has lots of experience. Nah, should maybe stop with the satire before we give them any ideas. Marc dos Santos would be my more serious bad hire that might actually happen suggestion. Until the CSB thing gets sorted it's going to be difficult to attract any strong candidates.

56 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

They literally have the amount they were spending on Herdman, who had just re-upped his contract. 

Now they can either use that budget to try and find a better tactician, or save some money and maybe support the program in other areas (either with more youth camps or by meeting the players wage demands).  The interesting thing for me will be if the players use this to push for more $$$, knowing full well that it would handcuff the CSA in terms of the calibre of coach they can recruit.  

If the players use this to push for more money, they are quite dense.  

Herdmans on around 750k (no real reference for this but I think thats been said on this site). Hire another coach for 500k which is quite the reduction. 250k left over. Thats 5k a player assuming 25 men and 25 women are fighting for this pot. If the players are fighting for only 5k, we have some serious issues. 

30 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

“I would like to thank Simon, Eric, Alex and Cesar for their immense contributions to the game in Canada,” said Jason deVos, interim General Secretary. “Having worked closely with these individuals behind the scenes, I have experienced first-hand the value they have brought to Canada Soccer. I want to thank them for the countless hours they have given to Canada Soccer and wish them all the best in their new endeavors.”

but not Herdman who instead is thanked by Crooks. Probably another accidental public relations gaffe on his part rather than an intentional slur, but who knows.

https://canadasoccer.com/news/john-herdman-departs-canada-soccer-mens-national-team/

It's just the way the press release is written, I'd think. It means nothing. And besides - isn't Crooks the senior? Wouldn't be surprised if it was De Vos thanking Herdman but Crooks thanking the other departees.

32 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

If Crooks is head of the CSA over DeVos, then I would have expected her to thank the head coach.  I don't think there is anything to read into here.

44 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

The sky is falling, the sky is falling 

This will be a good thing

...except there's a very good chance that it will be a bad thing.

...and literally nobody is treating this as if the sky is falling—just that in the current state of Canada Soccer, most (reasonable) people do not have much confidence that they will be able to afford or attract a better replacement.

Other than those two small points, your post is bang on.

21 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

If the players use this to push for more money, they are quite dense.  

Herdmans on around 750k (no real reference for this but I think thats been said on this site). Hire another coach for 500k which is quite the reduction. 250k left over. Thats 5k a player assuming 25 men and 25 women are fighting for this pot. If the players are fighting for only 5k, we have some serious issues. 

I think $465k is the figure that’s been mentioned. 

46 minutes ago, Vasi said:

We have no money, but we are able to dangle a world cup and coppa appearances. We might be able to attract a decent up and coming candidate. 3 years is not much for someone good to use as as a stepping stone. 

I don't know. That almost seems like the perfect amount of time. A major tournament (the Copa) where expectations will be low, followed by the high profile job of a host team with a number of blue chip players. After that, if they've done well they can get a bigger pay day elsewhere.