Herdman new head coach

matty

13 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

Big John fan but he’s a passion merchant and that wears off quick when you’re with the same group every single day for months on end. This will be a disaster.

Yeah, will be interesting to see if he can manage the day-to-day responsibilities of club football instead of having months in between sessions to meticulously plan.

I'm not saying it's the end of the world, but it feels like something major has just happened. 

The board has gone from striking gold to Herdman to trading it for Dogecoin. 

I can't wait to hear what the players have to say and what the board has to say... 

I 99 per cent blame the board, but l'll say this though as things progress...

Could the players maybe be sick of him and not getting the message anymore? They did what they had to do. Did the Croatia messaging and game fracture them?

I get the feeling things are even worse with the CSA than we've seen.

The fact John was straight up calling them out for their "I'm poor" schtick should have been the writing on the wall. He's fed up with their way of conducting business, and was done with putting up with it for over a decade.

I can see how wanted to amp things up for the sport in this country with the men (he said as such when he took the job) and then to actually deliver and get us to a World Cup and then be met with "actually we can't do anything because of the deals we signed and our poor leadership choices"

I can't blame the guy.

We made a Men's WC for the first time in decades and we seem worse off.

24 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

Big John fan but he’s a passion merchant and that wears off quick when you’re with the same group every single day for months on end. This will be a disaster.

Also wonder how well selling passion to players with large ego's/non-Canadian background will work. Like with that work with Insigne, Bernardeschi? 

I guess it's possible that he now has license to build the team he sees fit and those type players won't even be considered.

Edited by mpg_29

Also departing Canada Soccer will be Assistant Coaches Simon Eaddy and Eric Tenllado, Lead Scout, Alex Dodgshon, and Head of Performance, Dr. Cesar Meylan.

Canada Soccer also announced today that Mauro Biello has been appointed to serve as interim Head Coach. Biello has served as an Assistant Coach with the Men’s National Team since March 2018. Herdman will work with Biello through the month of September to ensure a seamless transition.  

The search for the new Men’s National Team Head Coach will begin immediately.

I was probably one of the biggest Herdman detractors when he got "hired". But I will happily eat crow. Herdman did a fantastic job in WCQ, and deserved all the praise he got leading Canada to the World Cup for the first time in decades.

However, from the finals onward Canada have not looked great. I am not sure what it is exactly, but I think a change makes a lot of sense for both sides. Assuming Soccer Canada can find a good replacement of course...

So, from a firm "anti-Herdmanist", thank you John for your historic work with the CMNT and good luck in the future.

for Soccer Canada: please please please do due diligence and find a good replacement! Our golden generation is coming into its prime, and getting OUT of the group stage at the 2026 World Cup should be the EXPECTATION!

25 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

Maybe.  Might be exactly what the teams needs to start the turnaround.  Emphasis on "start".

He's going to get lots of runway so he'll get the chance to build a team around his visions.  We're going to see how that all works out aren't we?

Wonder who he's bringing with him.

I would think that there are a number of reasons for this decision.

1) Herdman may have lost the players and hit his limits with the MNT over the past year.

2) He likely feels his is not being supported by CSA and is being given limited resources that will also hinder his success with the MNT.

3) This is a great transition for him into the club level.  It may not work for him, but this is a great stepping stone for him.  Even for as bad as TFC is, it feels like it can't get any worse.

4) Herdman's reputation earned over the past 5 years is still strong despite some hiccups this past year.

5) Likely a pay raise.

As a Toronto FC fan, I'm excited for this hiring.  Although his tactics do seem to have limitations, I feel like MLSE is going to give him all the tools to succeed.  As a CMNT, I am nervous.  I do feel that it may have been time for a new coach.  However, I am nervous about the quality of coach we can hire given our current state, both financially & off-field issues.  Hopefully we can recruit a coach like Christiansen or Callaghan.

I bet both are happy to be rid of each other.

Despite being warranted, I can see the CSA bristling at his criticism after getting leveraged for a new contract with the New Zealand fiasco so soon after the World Cup.

And that the fact that he's jumping ship to TFC says that despite his record, his profile remains niche and he doesn't have many suitors.

His stock can only go down with the Canada MNT, in my opinion. He needs to go now or accept being long-term MNT manager.

22 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I was probably one of the biggest Herdman detractors when he got "hired". But I will happily eat crow. Herdman did a fantastic job in WCQ, and deserved all the praise he got leading Canada to the World Cup for the first time in decades.

However, from the finals onward Canada have not looked great. I am not sure what it is exactly, but I think a change makes a lot of sense for both sides. Assuming Soccer Canada can find a good replacement of course...

So, from a firm "anti-Herdmanist", thank you John for your historic work with the CMNT and good luck in the future.

for Soccer Canada: please please please do due diligence and find a good replacement! Our golden generation is coming into its prime, and getting OUT of the group stage at the 2026 World Cup should be the EXPECTATION!

Not much point in me rephrasing what you wrote, so…

All of what he said.