Herdman new head coach

matty

37 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Just a start: in all scenarios in our NT past Buchanan commits a penalty away to El Salvador, m.62, with the match tied. 2-3 points just there.

In no scenario in our past did we not get more and darker cards for the Doneil corner kick "brawl" m 45 vs Panama at home. Or the mess after the game with Richie complaining about spitting. Same game, 90% of linesmen call the ball out on the Davies goal. 

We got away with countless timewasting maneuvers with both Borjan and Crepeau.

We got breaks and arguably, not one single iffy call against over the entire 14 games. Oddly, until we were already qualified (Kaye, who every Costa Rica commentator said deserved a straight red earlier at m. 17 anyways).

Ya Sure we had some breaks during qualification  but We earned our spot in Qatar getting a point at Azteca and on nthe road vs USA was well earned . But I guess People are just want to whine and talk about negativity ,  And  yes I do agree with a lot of people That Herdmann is not the greatest strategist but he did do something that I personally have waited many years for  by getting us to a World Cup. 

11 hours ago, rightback said:

I don't understand the enthusiasm for Marsch. I followed his term at Leeds pretty closely and thought he was a disaster.

If Herdmann goes I would kill for the Frenchman Herve Renard as our NT Manager , Love to see the French system in place in this country , Plus a lot of Female Soocewr Fans I know Would not mind it either  lol

17 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I think you are overestimating it greatly. 

Especially since the majority of CONCACAF federations are not Spanish- speaking.  Over 75% of the federations are Caribbean remember and only a handful of those are prevalently Spanish-speaking.

So of the 40 confederations, I would say a dozen, maybe 15's,  first language is Spanish. You can count them and correct me.

6 of the top ten, though. And this is when it is more relevant, holding camps and press conferences away and scouting and in-match in these types of nations in particular. 90% of our Confederation should be of little or no concern to us, tbh.

This is part of why a guy like Osorio, even with uneven performances, was more valuable than ever in Spanish speaking situations like away to Azteca. I wouldn't devalue the importance of Spanish at the high end of our Confederation.

Edited by nolando

10 hours ago, Atlantic said:

Finances aside (which I understand you can’t forget about), I wonder what level of coach Canada could get with the current crop of players and auto-WC status for 2026. Are long-time journeyman still our level or could serious and in their prime managers be tempted? Again, in the theoretical scenario that we aren’t broke and can offer reasonable wages.

Finances are certainly an issue, but if we're being open-minded.... most pro coaches aren't worried about putting food on the table.  It's not exactly like coal mining where the mine closes and your family starves and you need to make major decisions.  I think coaching Canada can be a very enticing project for a young coach, even with little money involved.

If I'm a young coach and I'm looking at options... you give me 3 random countries, Nigeria, Italy, and Canada.   Pretty confident I'd go with Canada when you factor in everything.

Nigeria: Salary probably higher, but not sure if you'll even be paid.  Team isn't as strong as what the country is used to, so lots of frustration there which tends to lead to short tenures.

Italy: You can probably easily retire if you wanted to after even a short stint with Italy, and you might want to after that kind of pressure.  The talent is at an all-time low, success extremely unlikely for a team that is used to being a powerhouse.  Tempers and patience also at an all-time low.

Canada: No pressure (outside of us freaks), golden generation in the making, salary probably the lowest of the three, however you're confident you will get paid.  Any success and you know the jobs will line up for years.  You'll always be the guy that brought a nobody to success.

It's a great longterm investment with no pressure for someone that is looking for a project with exciting prospects that is already halfway done.

Where do i apply?

3 minutes ago, nolando said:

90% of our Confederation should be of little or no concern to us, tbh.

That is a strange statement to be honest.  (Setting aside the top 4 - ie. 10%) we don't get very far in our tournaments if we don't take Jamaica, El Salvador, Honduras, Curaçao, Haiti etc. seriously.  Certainly should be more of a concern than whether a coach speaks a language other than the one understood by the entire team. 

But I was just correcting UT, when he said the majority of Concacaf's federations were Spanish-speaking.  

45 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I'm not sure if someone already posted about it, ( aside from @badname22 ) but our "go to" guy as interim head coach Michael Findlay is the new Bermuda coach.

So we can't even bring him back for a few months!

He did an excellent job with Grenada, taking them to the Gold Cup. I met him at our first Mauritania game with Floro, iirc, he was doing av support. Turns out I have friends from Vancouver that know him and his wife well (not sure his marital status though). He's a pleasant guy.

44 minutes ago, costarg said:

Finances are certainly an issue, but if we're being open-minded.... most pro coaches aren't worried about putting food on the table.  It's not exactly like coal mining where the mine closes and your family starves and you need to make major decisions.  I think coaching Canada can be a very enticing project for a young coach, even with little money involved.

If I'm a young coach and I'm looking at options... you give me 3 random countries, Nigeria, Italy, and Canada.   Pretty confident I'd go with Canada when you factor in everything.

Nigeria: Salary probably higher, but not sure if you'll even be paid.  Team isn't as strong as what the country is used to, so lots of frustration there which tends to lead to short tenures.

Italy: You can probably easily retire if you wanted to after even a short stint with Italy, and you might want to after that kind of pressure.  The talent is at an all-time low, success extremely unlikely for a team that is used to being a powerhouse.  Tempers and patience also at an all-time low.

Canada: No pressure (outside of us freaks), golden generation in the making, salary probably the lowest of the three, however you're confident you will get paid.  Any success and you know the jobs will line up for years.  You'll always be the guy that brought a nobody to success.

It's a great longterm investment with no pressure for someone that is looking for a project with exciting prospects that is already halfway done.

Where do i apply?

Italy pays you 5x Canada minimum.

1 hour ago, costarg said:

Canada: No pressure

However, the guy that led us to the World Cup and is tight with the higher ups like De Vos is employed just down the road, and if things don't turn out at TFC as he had hoped for by the end of the 2025 MLS season, he might just as easily pull what Nick Saban did with the NFL's Dolphins, bail, and then get  re-installed as NT coach if his successor is viewed to have not shown enough in his run from now until then.  (What defines "enough" would be open to much debate as we get Zambrano: the Sequel)

Taking this job with a big carrot being a guaranteed place in the World Cup to show off your talents to other suitors when your contract expires at tourney's end might end up being a big bait-and-switch.  So the way I see it, that individual definitely needs to be taking us to a much higher level and not a similar plane as Herdman following our WC qualification.

15 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

However, the guy that led us to the World Cup and is tight with the higher ups like De Vos is employed just down the road, and if things don't turn out at TFC as he had hoped for by the end of the 2025 MLS season, he might just as easily pull what Nick Saban did with the NFL's Dolphins, bail, and then get  re-installed as NT coach if his successor is viewed to have not shown enough in his run from now until then.  (What defines "enough" would be open to much debate as we get Zambrano: the Sequel)

Taking this job with a big carrot being a guaranteed place in the World Cup to show off your talents to other suitors when your contract expires at tourney's end might end up being a big bait-and-switch.  So the way I see it, that individual definitely needs to be taking us to a much higher level and not a similar plane as Herdman following our WC qualification.

I hope there is pressure.  There better be pressure.  But it will require getting rid of some of the excuses. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Just read on a TFC fan forum from a supposed insider that Herdman to TFC is happening for sure.

So I wonder what the hold up is on the announcement.

Seems to be a combination of Jummah and Shabbat.

And for everyone else, how long is the TFC supporter fast supposed to last?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

23 hours ago, costarg said:

Anyone else feel like they'd prefer if we weren't automatically qualified for the 2026 WC?  I think we could use those qualification games to up our tempo and experience in "real" games.  I'm not feeling all warm and fuzzy from this "free ride".  We need the competitiveness and tests.

No, but that's why qualifying for the Copa is so important. Some real games against the kind of competition we need and haven't been able to book.