Herdman new head coach

matty

3 hours ago, VinceA said:

Who would even replace Herdman. This job must not be very enticing right now.

Realistically It would be someone like Wheeldon jr or Smyrniotis who would be willing to come in. I can't even think of a big time Canadian coach right now. Maybe Marcina?

Where for art thou Robert??

It's time.

Johannes Nicolaas van 't Schip is finally coming home.

2 hours ago, Atlantic said:

Alen Marcina (San Antonio)

Frank Yallop (Monterrey Bay)

Kevin McKenna (Assistant @ FC Köln)

Michael Kim (Assistant @ South Korea NT)

Outside of Marcina I’m not fond of making any of those guys the coach of the CanMNT. I wouldn’t mind going rouge and getting a younger coach from Europe but we are broke so that’s likely off the table 

Smyrniotos?

I feel like Smyrniotos is the guy TFC needs, but will never be the guy TFC hire.

Toronto is so rich in terms of soccer talent. And who better to tap into the local market than him?

But alas, they'll go on now and hire some random American. 

The guy(s) running things at the top are the problem, not the coaching. They want to be LA Galaxy North - then tried to be NYRB North - then pivoted back to being LA Galaxy North again...except much worse. 

If it wasn't for the Bez era this club would have an embaressing history. 

3 hours ago, Atlantic said:

Outside of Marcina I’m not fond of making any of those guys the coach of the CanMNT. I wouldn’t mind going rouge and getting a younger coach from Europe but we are broke so that’s likely off the table 

You know that it would be Mauro Biello for at least a year or until a new search selects another coach in a year or two. I would not mind an experienced Mexican coach or an accomplished coach from another Concacaf country in the event Herdman resigns.

4 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

You know that it would be Mauro Biello for at least a year or until a new search selects another coach in a year or two. I would not mind an experienced Mexican coach or an accomplished coach from another Concacaf country in the event Herdman resigns.

Thomas Christiansen would be a great hire IMO but honestly why would he leave what he's building with Panama?  

31 minutes ago, Obinna said:

But alas, they'll go on now and hire some random American. 

Seems like it. Right?

However, it'll be either a Euro, a Latin American, or a Cancon type, in that order.

They went all-in Phil Mickelson style on an American, a very high profile one at that, so I don't think that will be happening this time around.

Edited by BearcatSA

7 hours ago, Atlantic said:

If we're talking CMNT alumni, I wonder if Jim Brennan would be interested. 

13 hours ago, Atlantic said:

Thomas Christiansen would be a great hire IMO but honestly why would he leave what he's building with Panama?  

This would be my #1 choice. He's done an amazing job with Panama, but we co-host  & have a WC spot locked up in 2026. Plus the CMNT has way more high end talent vs Panama. If he can get Panama to perform the way they have over the last yr, think what he could do with this Cdn squad. I'm sure he's not getting paid anywhere close to what JH makes.

48 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Herdman to TFC - Smyrniotis to the NT.

I don't think Smyrniotis is the right fit for the NT. He doesn't have any international experience, aside from Champions League games in CONCACAF with Forge. I think he should stay in the club game for now, be it CanPL, MLS, or elsewhere. 

If we actually had a functioning youth program I would suggest Smyrniotis for a coaching role, however. That would be a good way to get into the international game. 

Speaking of Herdman doing dual duty with Canada and TFC (not going to happen, btw), I think this could be something a CPL coach could manage. Smyrniotis would obviously be top of the list. I would trust him with an U-20 Canada squad, for instance. That preps him for international football and maybe to take the reigns of the Senior national team down the road. 

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I don't think Smyrniotis is the right fit for the NT. He doesn't have any international experience, aside from Champions League games in CONCACAF with Forge. I think he should stay in the club game for now, be it CanPL, MLS, or elsewhere. 

If we actually had a functioning youth program I would suggest Smyrniotis for a coaching role, however. That would be a good way to get into the international game. 

Speaking of Herdman doing dual duty with Canada and TFC (not going to happen, btw), I think this could be something a CPL coach could manage. Smyrniotis would obviously be top of the list. I would trust him with an U-20 Canada squad, for instance. That preps him for international football and maybe to take the reigns of the Senior national team down the road. 

Yup. 3 yrs to go to WC 2026 and the first time co-hosting the Mens WC in Canada. There is no time to experiment. JH is no guru re tactical proficiency but at this stage continuity is more important given the state of affairs at the CSA and the issue with the players.

48 minutes ago, badname22 said:

I mean, Michael Findlay does have experience in CONCACAF with Grenada so…..

/s

I remember my favourite part of Floro's tenure was when Findlay took charge of the game against Ghana (That featured the return of Cavallini, and the debuts of Froese, Trafford and Hoilett) and we looked better than anything Floro had put on display in the two years prior.

edit: Also the highlight of that game was Marcel de Jong being like "fuck it I'm gonna score" and scored one of the best goals I've ever seen a Canadian score in an international match.

Edited by VinceA

3 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Yup. 3 yrs to go to WC 2026 and the first time co-hosting the Mens WC in Canada. There is no time to experiment. JH is no guru re tactical proficiency but at this stage continuity is more important given the state of affairs at the CSA and the issue with the players.

I would argue that JH has some tactical proficiencys that get overlooked.  

All throughout qualifying, we defied stats like xP goals for and against. Is it luck that we were consistently outperforming the expected stats, or is it more likely that we created our own luck by maximizing our strengths and minimizing our weaknesses. Look at how our terrible lack of quality defenders was actually a strength during qualifying.  

Everyone always says JH is clueless because he didnt go with 3 cm vs croatia. It implies we lost due to his formation. Thats such a false narrative. We lost because they were so much better. You can also say that his choice to not go with 3 cm was injury/fitness dependent. Its not JH fault he had no CM to choose from. So besides not picking 3 cm for croatia, I dont see an example of a weak tactical performance. I do see a few examples of good tactical performances such as away vs mexico and usa.