Herdman new head coach

matty

- i think Borjan wasn't injured he went back to Europe to sort out his club situation. St. Clair had a good match against the USA but its clear he still has a way to go to be considered a number one for internationals. Fingers crossed on Crepeau's recovery. 

- Great to see Ahmed, Millar, and Schafelburg take their opportunity. Hopefully, Herdman rewards them by showing more confidence to play them in the future when more of the vets come back. It's too bad that Cornelius was injured, I think he would have really established himself as a starter in this tournament. 

- My biggest disappointment was the team not taking Sirois, Chorneire, Waterman, and McNaughton. I think they deserved the opportunity to showcase themselves. 

- And Yes, Brym should be nowhere near the National Team. 

1 hour ago, MrR said:

Isn't Davies a LB?

My point! I think the pk selection in regular time has been weird, Davies shouldn't have taken it and having Larin take one just to try to get his hat trick is questionable to me, of course hindsight is a great thing!

20 minutes ago, MrR said:

No one is arguing here, even if some of the topics are frustrating and polarizing, we're all on the same side.  It's ok to see things differently and express them.   

Are you referring to the 9 minutes he played in Eredivisie when it was not a top 5 league?

21 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Aren't the league rankings based off performance from clubs in European competition? That is not a good barometer for how good a league is. 

It's a great barometer of how good the top third (at max) is of each league.  Some of the lower top league stuff I have seen in Portugal is fairly poor, for instance.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

I don't see or understand the problem with Herdman saying he wanted to play the US. Wanting to play 1 team instead of the other, might not have anything to do with what you think is the easier game. What's wrong with wanting to play the best to see how you measure up, or wanting to play in a full stadium instead of an empty one. I was one of the few that was disappointed we drew the Belgium Group at the WC, instead of the German one for these reasons. Agree that saying you took the foot off the gas against Cuba was stupid though.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

They'll have the interview up later, but download the Herdman interview from Sportsnet 650 Halford and Brough show. Pretty interesting. He goes through the Croatia game in detail, on his thought process in it.

Agreed. Halford and Brough asked some thoughtful and open-ended questions that led to some interesting answers. Here is the link. It is the first 25 minutes or so. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/halford-brough-morning/canmnt-head-coach-john-herdman/

1 hour ago, johnyb said:

Agree that saying you took the foot off the gas against Cuba was stupid though.

So we agree that Herdam said something stupid in November 2022 with his infamous "F Croatia" quote.

And we also agree that Herdman again said something stupid 2 days ago with his "taking the foot off the gas" quote.

And yet, some on this board continue to say that he is still learning???

I don't see that Herdman has learned anything about shooting off his mouth, and I don't expect he will change in the foreseeable future. No wonder the CSA is broke and having trouble drumming up sponsorship $$$s. What corporation is going to want to be associated with a little guy who spouts off his mouth unnecessarily in public with shite like "F Croatia?" What a shame that we are struck with Herdman just as we are getting ready to co-host the World Cup Final in 2026, and especially so at a time when we are blessed with a golden generation of players. Pity!

If this type of behavior is not just cause for the termination of his contract, then what is?

Perhaps a good portion of that $5,000,000.00 interest-free loan from FIFA could be used to hire a proven coach. That would be the very least the CSA could do for the long-suffering Canadian soccer fans!

Edited by MrR

1 hour ago, johnyb said:

I don't see or understand the problem with Herdman saying he wanted to play the US. Wanting to play 1 team instead of the other, might not have anything to do with what you think is the easier game. What's wrong with wanting to play the best to see how you measure up, or wanting to play in a full stadium instead of an empty one. I was one of the few that was disappointed we drew the Belgium Group at the WC, instead of the German one for these reasons. Agree that saying you took the foot off the gas against Cuba was stupid though.

Sure, but whats wrong with shutting your mouth...give the reporter some bland platitudes?  He tries to play the media and these little things are slanted to make him look smarter than he is...hint at 5-D chess going on when its really just a slickster trying to cover his own ass.  The Cuba win wasnt good enough and he should either say nothing or man up and say it wasnt.  Say we were hoping to avoid the US until semis, but i guess its a rematch asap, big toothy smile for the cameras.  Dont give them an extra excuse to be fired up in front of the home crowd.  

Quick comment on Herdman:

When I saw the starting line up against the States I was pretty disappointed. Here we go again, I thought. JH being stubborn playing Bombito. I figured maybe it's more of wanting a physical midfielder to disrupt things and less about commitment to his Bombito-pet-project. Seems to have been the case, fortunately, and everyone came out of this praising Herdman for getting the tactics right and so will I. 

Takeaway - Herdman has balls. Won't always get it right, but he's not a coward. I can appreciate that. 

Edited by Obinna

6 hours ago, Soro17 said:

Agreed. Halford and Brough asked some thoughtful and open-ended questions that led to some interesting answers. Here is the link. It is the first 25 minutes or so. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/halford-brough-morning/canmnt-head-coach-john-herdman/

Thanks for posting.    Really good questions asked!!   He mentions several times the need:  For players playing in tier one leagues and the need for tier one player.   I agree fully with this and he is the first manager we have had that keeps mentioning this.  In the past, few of our managers ever raised this and they just regarded the tier two and tier one all in the same. 

18 minutes ago, VinceA said:

It's easy to say we need tier one players. It's another to actually get them there.

Of course.  I am not disputing that but I am disputing is the notion that there has to be some urgency to consider or call up some of these talents from lower tiers and that we need to look at them or we need have camps just to see how these players are playing etc etc.   The national teams, for any countries,  are not places where you go to assess and evaluate and figure if you are a good player or not.   You should be already a good player in order to be on the national team.   Its a place for tier one player and to figure out if you can or how you fit these tier one players into a national team.   

In otherwords,   These should be goals for NT players and you shouldnt't expect to be automatic call up if you are player in second div's and not progressing for example.

Edited by Free kick

On 7/11/2023 at 6:51 AM, costarg said:

No one is arguing here, even if some of the topics are frustrating and polarizing, we're all on the same side.  It's ok to see things differently and express them.   

Are you referring to the 9 minutes he played in Eredivisie when it was not a top 5 league?

Here you go again. Wrong for the second time. First off you said, and I quote: "Exactly, Brym nor Fraser have played in any of the leagues you listed." Then you back-track by conceding that Brym did indeed play for Sparta in the Eredivisie, one of the top 5 leagues in the Wikipedia list. You then proceed to disclose that Brym played 9 minutes. How did you arrive at that number? Were those minutes played in the August 14th match against AZ, or minutes in the August 21st match against Ajax? Or did you just make up that number in a feeble attempt to save face after it became evident you were arguing a losing argument? Remember, we're all on the same side. 

8 minutes ago, MrR said:

Here you go again. Wrong for the second time. First off you said, and I quote: "Exactly, Brym nor Fraser have played in any of the leagues you listed." Then you back-track by conceding that Brym did indeed play for Sparta in the Eredivisie, one of the top 5 leagues in the Wikipedia list. You then proceed to disclose that Brym played 9 minutes. How did you arrive at that number? Were those minutes played in the August 14th match against AZ, or minutes in the August 21st match against Ajax? Or did you just make up that number in a feeble attempt to save face after it became evident you were arguing a losing argument? Remember, we're all on the same side. 

These days, it is quite easy to see minutes from any of the decently ranked Europe countries and (at least) their top couple leagues.

Go to transfermarket, search for Brym, on his page scroll down to Career Stats, find the "Eredivisie," click on the "2" link under appearances and it shows you:  he played  7 minutes in 1 match and 2 in another, and was on the bench a couple of other times.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

9 minutes ago, MrR said:

Does the fact that Brym got sent to the second tier after barely playing for Rotterdam somehow defend your argument? He’s not proven anything at that level at all. You’re grasping at straws

On 7/11/2023 at 7:34 AM, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

It's a great barometer of how good the top third (at max) is of each league.  Some of the lower top league stuff I have seen in Portugal is fairly poor, for instance.

I stand corrected. I was wrong. Thanks for the info.

• 3 weeks later...

I know there are numerous issues with the program but if Priestman is his protégé and clearly his favored successor then should we be worried about how far Herdman can take our boys when it comes to playing top teams and the tactical prowess needed to succeed?