Herdman new head coach

matty

2 hours ago, MrR said:

The bottom line is: Canada got the win it needed to advance with St. Clair in goal. And BTW, St. Clair's boner was nothing compared to Borjan's limp-dick assist on Hakim Ziyech's goal at the World Cup.

No. It's not the "bottom line" at all. He almost cost us the goal difference to get through the group, while you cite a Borjan error in a game where we had nothing to play for.

Any more set phrases you want to work on?

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

No. It's not the "bottom line" at all. He almost cost us the goal difference to get through the group, while you cite a Borjan error in a game where we had nothing to play for.

Any more set phrases you want to work on?

Goal difference didn't factor into the equation, as the other game did not end in a draw. I'd say conceding a goal in the 93rd minute against Guadeloupe was a lot more costly to Canada not topping the group. What a way for Borjan to end his international career on Canadian soil. In his last 10 competitive matches for the CMNT Borjan's record is:

1) 13-06-2022  a 2-1 loss vs Honduras (Nations League)

2) 23-11-2022  a 1-0 loss vs Belgium (World Cup)

3) 27-11-2022  a 4-1 loss vs Croatia (World Cup)

4) 01-12-2022  a 2-1 loss vs Morocco World Cup)

5) 25-03-2023  a 2-0 win vs Curacao (Nations League)

6) 28-03-2023  a 4-1 win vs Honduras (Nations League)

7) 15-06-2023  a 2-0 win vs Panama (Nations League)

😎 18-06-2023  a 2-0 loss vs Unites States (Nations League)

9) 27-06-2023  a 2-2 draw vs Guadeloupe (Gold Cup)

10) 01-07-2023 a 0-0 draw vs Guatemala (Gold Cup)

Total - 3 wins, 2 draws, 5 losses, 13 goals for, 14 goals against

Despite the negative numbers, he's still Herdman's #1 choice. Go figure.

Edited by MrR

4 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Don't know if I'm #HerdmanOut after a good performance this game but the rest of the tournament was bad. And I just don't like how he keeps putting guys out of position.

He's earned his place. More to learn, more yet to do, but he got the guys to the brink vs. the Yanks in a very solid performance with many fringe players. He stays!

Look, before the match, about 95% of the posts on the board had us getting annihilated. We took the game to penalties. If you're going to shit on him when we do badly, at least have the common decency to give credit when we do well. We had mostly our B team players and they took the American B team to the brink. There's no shame today.

4 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

He's earned his place. More to learn, more yet to do, but he got the guys to the brink vs. the Yanks in a very solid performance with many fringe players. He stays!

Slow progress I think.

He wanted to see players and play a system this tournament I think.  He got players to give everything for an important game again. 

4 hours ago, MrR said:

Goal difference didn't factor into the equation, as the other game did not end in a draw.

So St. Clair gets credit for the goals Canada put past Cuba, and also for the game Canada wasn't even involved in not ending in a draw? I'm not saying Borjan should necessarily be the starter ahead of St. Clair (2021 form Crepeau would probably get my vote if he was available in that form), but I hate the "just win baby" attitude, especially for a single player in such a huge team sport, let alone one that only plays on one side of the ball.

St. Clair played outstanding today, but he absolutely made a bad play on conceding the penalty against Cuba. I don't remember any bad plays by Borjan in his Gold Cup games this tournament. Yes, the Morocco assist was embarassing, I will concede that.

1 minute ago, Kent said:

So St. Clair gets credit for the goals Canada put past Cuba, and also for the game Canada wasn't even involved in not ending in a draw? I'm not saying Borjan should necessarily be the starter ahead of St. Clair (2021 form Crepeau would probably get my vote if he was available in that form), but I hate the "just win baby" attitude, especially for a single player in such a huge team sport, let alone one that only plays on one side of the ball.

St. Clair played outstanding today, but he absolutely made a bad play on conceding the penalty against Cuba. I don't remember any bad plays by Borjan in his Gold Cup games this tournament. Yes, the Morocco assist was embarassing, I will concede that.

Dude, you're quoting a complete fuckwit. Leave him be and hope that he just goes away after a while.

Maybe Herdman’s comments about prep time are more true than we thought.  A lot of new players this camp and we clearly got better as the tournament progressed.  My opinion of him since the World Cup has been hot and cold.  I’m just making this comment to spark a debate because I don’t think its necessarily true.

Just now, Corazon said:

Maybe Herdman’s comments about prep time are more true than we thought.  A lot of new players this camp and we clearly got better as the tournament progressed.  My opinion of him since the World Cup has been hot and cold.  I’m just making this comment to spark a debate because I don’t think its necessarily true.

It's peaks and valleys with him right now. I don't know what to make of his decisions and whatever friendlies or NL games we play up until Copa America I don't think will sway my opinion one way or another. I'm not mad at him, nor am I happy, but I'm also not indifferent.

12 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I think he did a good job in this game.   When you consider the talent he didnt have,  the outcome of this game against the US looks well on him.  Most importantly for me, he showed that he can coach a team that is unheralded and has very little fire power and play a style that " CLOSES THE BARN DOOR" when you have to to.   That shows a certain flexibility in his approach.  

I am more impressed by how he coached in this game than in any of the games in Qatar.  

Edited by Free kick

I'm a Herdman supporter but wasn't that performance and approach what you would expect from any competent manager? I remember thinking it was odd to not hear him yelling "hunt!" on the sidelines, but what else are you supposed to do when you are the underdog away?

(I still maintain we weren't that much on an underdog, just a bunch of MLSers doing MLS like things, good and bad).