Herdman new head coach

matty

17 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

There is still the audit by the federal government to come and talk of future federal funding being contingent on following advise that will be provided in its aftermath.

Many years ago, there was a suggestion that each kid playing soccer in Canada would have $5.00 added to their club fee and that money would go toward national programs. The provincial associations flipped out and it never went anywhere.

A kid playing soccer pays between $200.00 and $600.00 per year depending on age and level. A five dollar add-on to play for camps and proper scouting and friendlies now seems like a great idea. Are there not almost one million kids playing soccer in Canada each year?

49 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Had the team had a strong run in Qatar, that might have been the best time for him personally to make a move within the men's game, when his cachet was probably highest.  However, his CV has had a few setbacks which warrant scrutiny but there is still a spin/narrative that can be put in place to Herdman-splain them away, and that would be ditto for a less than satisfying results at the Copa.

You never know...maybe he bails.  But he needs to bail to get to a comparable or better gig, men's or women's game.

Guy was probably seeing dollar signs after the Belgium match and then he went out and (his words) F'd it.

38 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

...A kid playing soccer pays between $200.00 and $600.00 per year depending on age and level. A five dollar add-on to play for camps and proper scouting and friendlies now seems like a great idea. Are there not almost one million kids playing soccer in Canada each year?

Was it an extra loonie or a toonie that Holger wanted? It's been a while. A registration levy increase proposal appeared to be what led to the provincial SA presidents expressing a lack of confidence in Nick Bontis and he resigned soon thereafter. Suspect Jason Devos would not have been dropping the about as subtle as a sledgehammer veiled threat about bankrupcy that spurred Victor Montagliani & Co at FIFA into suddenly finding $5 million to loan them interest free if the CSA could use that as their fiscal escape route.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

23 minutes ago, theaub said:

Guy was probably seeing dollar signs after the Belgium match and then he went out and (his words) F'd it.

Hubris?  Then he got into a sausage fight with Croatia and went with with two ailing central mids against the world's best midfield threesomes.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

There is still the audit by the federal government to come and talk of future federal funding being contingent on following advise that will be provided in its aftermath.

Thank you for giving me a glimmer of hope that some day, hopefully in the not too distant future, we will be blessed with a CSA that is more competent than what we have been subjected to since 1957.

1 minute ago, BearcatSA said:

Hubris?  ...

Don't know to what extent you have ever played or coached the game competitively but it's an emotional rollercoaster when you throw everything you have to give at a game. Probably just a case of speaking his mind way too candidly when it would have been better to avoid microphones for a few more minutes until he had regained his composure. As the Croatian manager pointed out at the time it suggested he was a little out of his depth in professional terms.

5 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Don't know to what extent you have ever played or coached the game competitively but it's an emotional rollercoaster when you throw everything you have to give at a game. Probably just a case of speaking his mind way too candidly when it would have been better to avoid microphones for a few more minutes until he had regained his composure. As the Croatian manager pointed out at the time it suggested he was a little out of his depth in professional terms.

Provinces objected likely because they wanted to scoop that money.

1 minute ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Don't know to what extent you have ever played or coached the game competitively...

You're right on that point.

And the Croatian manager was right, too.

But to some posters on here, saying such comments has little bearing on the opposition's mindset coming into a game.  Hubris might not quite be the right word but perhaps a little mindful pausing may have helped, or may not.

3 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

Provinces objected likely because they wanted to scoop that money.

For sure as they have their pet projects to push as well.

The Ontario Soccer Centre in Vaughan used to be the subject of much ire in London, Ont. soccer circles as we were helping to pay for its construction through registration levys and receiving zero benefit from it so the local district association figured out a way to stop kicking up registration fees for recreational players to the OSA so more money could stay in London rather than subsidizing soccer in the GTA.

The provincial associations are one step closer to the grassroots and know the sort of backlash there can be from the clubs that collect the registration money and that there's a danger of killing the golden goose if you start to be too greedy.

Do full-time professional clubs in Canada contribute to the development of soccer in Canada? Would the ticket-purchasing supporters of the 3 Canadian MLS clubs and the 8 CPL clubs oppose a 1% or 2% tax levied on top the cost of their tickets? No one seems to object to the service charges imposed by Ticketmaster, &c.

It would also be a great way to get prompt attendance numbers published at the same time.

Edited by MrR

1 hour ago, MrR said:

Do full-time professional clubs in Canada contribute to the development of soccer in Canada? Would the ticket-purchasing supporters of the 3 Canadian MLS clubs and the 8 CPL clubs oppose a 1% or 2% tax levied on top the cost of their tickets? No one seems to object to the service charges imposed by Ticketmaster, &c.

It would also be a great way to get prompt attendance numbers published at the same time.

who is this expert that has joined the forum?  get thee to a provincial soccer board voting meeting!

ah, but what do I know...I am also a forum newbie.  just happened upon this place, and hoped to see a Brian Budd shrine, and when I found it, stayed to see what else was on offer.

Edited by eramosat

On 7/5/2023 at 9:29 AM, MrR said:

Denial - it is so easy for someone like yourself to avoid discussing the real point of a post by simply employing the tactic of deflection. My post simply pointed out that Herdman is not arguably the most successful  coach we have ever had, and that is an undisputed fact.

Holger Osieck - 1 Gold Cup

Bev Priestman - 1 Olympic gold medal

John Herdman - 2 Olympic bronze medals & a 31st place World Cup finish

Tony Waiters - a 24th place World Cup finish.

And the best counter argument you can come up with is: Is this a bit? Are you a troll? I have so many questions. 

I don't even know why I took the bait. Ugh

I feel like you have a blind spot here. You are talking as if "arguably" means "undisputed". An argument can be made that John Herdman is our most successful coach. Among the things that have already been pointed out, he also made it to a Nations League final (though didn't win) and I can't find the stats at the moment but doesn't he have the most wins all time? Likely the highest or one of the highest win percentages as well (not counting guys that only managed a game or two).

If a reasonable person can make a case for someone being the best/most successful, that makes them arguably the best/most successful. Just like you may believe very strongly that one of Pele or Maradona or Messi or Ronaldo are the best ever to play the game, but can still admit that they are all arguably the best to ever play the game, because there is an argument for each of them.

Edited by Kent
People changed to person.

3 hours ago, Kent said:

I feel like you have a blind spot here. You are talking as if "arguably" means "undisputed". An argument can be made that John Herdman is our most successful coach. Among the things that have already been pointed out, he also made it to a Nations League final (though didn't win) and I can't find the stats at the moment but doesn't he have the most wins all time? Likely the highest or one of the highest win percentages as well (not counting guys that only managed a game or two).

If a reasonable people can make a case for someone being the best/most successful, that makes them arguably the best/most successful. Just like you may believe very strongly that one of Pele or Maradona or Messi or Ronaldo are the best ever to play the game, but can still admit that they are all arguably the best to ever play the game, because there is an argument for each of them.

No blind spot here. I know what the word "arguably" means. But thank you for bringing it up, because clearly there are some on this board who don't seem to understand its meaning. Case in point, the following posts "how did that fucking crack head ..." or "Go back to your bridge troll" are not one-offs. There are even those who show their support for this kind of shite by hitting the little blue heart button. All because some people have the audacity to argue that the CSA keeps fucking up, or that Herdman is not the messiah that some make him out to be. Why can some one not argue that Herdman's trophy shelve is still empty. That's right, it's a fact: Herdman: ZERO THROPHIES WON. I argue that it is pathetic when some one who has never won anything in his life, goes on spouts off about winning a World Cup with Canada in 2026, with the faint hope that such a statement will save his job for another 3 years. You may argue whatever view point you like, but let's agree to argue with a bit of respect?

6 minutes ago, MrR said:

No blind spot here. I know what the word "arguably" means. But thank you for bringing it up, because clearly there are some on this board who don't seem to understand its meaning. Case in point, the following posts "how did that fucking crack head ..." or "Go back to your bridge troll" are not one-offs. There are even those who show their support for this kind of shite by hitting the little blue heart button. All because some people have the audacity to argue that the CSA keeps fucking up, or that Herdman is not the messiah that some make him out to be. Why can some one not argue that Herdman's trophy shelve is still empty. That's right, it's a fact: Herdman: ZERO THROPHIES WON. I argue that it is pathetic when some one who has never won anything in his life, goes on spouts off about winning a World Cup with Canada in 2026, with the faint hope that such a statement will save his job for another 3 years. You may argue whatever view point you like, but let's agree to argue with a bit of respect?

Where is your respect to herdman and the CSA? You can criticize them, just like many do on the board. However, you spew hatred against them and refuse to give credit to them for their positives. Youre only posts on here are extremely negative and targeted, even when youre presented evidence to the contrary. Thats why I call you a troll. 

20 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It was probably one of the biggest moments of his life- kid comes from nothing, grinds his way through one of the most non traditional career paths in the game, takes a scrappy team all the way through to the World Cup and plays the second best team in the world in a game we should’ve won? His adrenaline level was probably medically dangerous at that point. 

I guess with sports it’s all about acting like you’ve been there already, but I don’t totally fault him for saying that stuff. 

3 minutes ago, MrR said:

image.thumb.jpeg.9fee56f77b497cf9454670dd06a8703f.jpeg

Go back to your bridge you troll. 

Another poster wants to engage and provide evidence against your claims and instead of having a dialogue about his credentials, you post this.  

Your a troll. 

Just like the last time you appeared a couple years ago and everyone called you a troll then. 

Edited by Bigandy

1 minute ago, MrR said:

image.thumb.jpeg.9fee56f77b497cf9454670dd06a8703f.jpeg

That's our national coach on the cover of a national newspaper. If that's not a national embarrassment, than the 4-1 shite-kicking that followed surely was. How can anyone argue that I need to show some respect for him. It's not like there's a big line-up of clubs and national associations with money that are trying to sign our messiah to a fat contract

2 minutes ago, kacbru said:

Respect is earned and you deserve none. What a joke.

100% its a joke. 

I looked at @MrR past post contributions. Every single post he has ever made has been to try to discredit Herdman (with the odd attack at CSA). In 2021 he started a thread that atiba should replace john and the general consensus is that this guy was a troll back then. Hes now come out of the woodworks again to try and spread negativity. 

He doesnt ever post about the team, tactics, selections etc. Its only to spread negativity on the board. 

8 minutes ago, MrR said:

That's our national coach on the cover of a national newspaper. If that's not a national embarrassment, than the 4-1 shite-kicking that followed surely was. How can anyone argue that I need to show some respect for him. It's not like there's a big line-up of clubs and national associations with money that are trying to sign our messiah to a fat contract

Go back to your bridge you troll 

7 hours ago, MrR said:

Seriously, just don’t engage him.  Keep posting and bring your own perspective.