Herdman new head coach

matty

17 hours ago, Atlantic said:

Were you a Sunderland academy player and John cut you as a kid? I can’t understand how you can dislike someone who’s brought us the farthest we’ve come in men’s football. 

I just don't agree with the cult of the personality.

If we use the TSN panel as a guiding metric (and like whether you them all individually or not, they know the game) Herdman has gotten the tactics wrong in 2 of our 3 matches.  I still support him but it is definitely less than ideal.  Like many of our players,  he hasn’t taken this opportunity to raise his stock and make a statement.   

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

If we use the TSN panel as a guiding metric (and like whether you them all individually or not, they know the game) Herdman has gotten the tactics wrong in 2 of our 3 matches.  I still support him but it is definitely less than ideal.  Like many of our players,  he hasn’t taken this opportunity to raise his stock and make a statement.   

My positive is he has shown a willingness to learn.  This was a harsh schooling, hopefully taken as such.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Maybe the performance against Belgium was what did us in -in the sense that it made Herdman think we could get away with a 2 man midfield.

I am a bit confused why our press/counter press never really returned? I take the 2nd half against Morocco to be more score effect.

Credit to the TSN panel - they are offering some very fair and full critical analysis of Herdman.  Becky even noted he still needs more experience coaching the Mens game (even though some rejected the idea that there could be any difference way back when he was appointed).   Questioning whether or not his motivational techniques can be sustained over the long term (for another 4 years). And frank analysis of the tactical missteps.  

I truly wonder moving forward if Canada respects him enough to take that leap- do “top tier” players want a manager that has no experience outside of Canada’s national teams, and the NZ women? Thinking about CR’s comments about the Man U manager, and some of the concerns about Southgate’s lack of experience, not to mention some of the managers that players like David and Davies have played for (hell, CF Montreal’s contingent have a great manager too), I wonder whether his words ring hollow to players who have excelled at the club game- somewhere Herdman has 0 experience. 

Herdman didn't have a great tournament. 2nd worst team behind the host. He may be a motivator but he's no tactician. I know we were in a tough group but seeing sides who I believe have inferior players get results (Costa Rica and Australia) shows that if you are setup correctly on the field things can happen. I know he got us here but looking at the talent this generation has by concacaf standards its not really that surprising.

Edited by dennis

7 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Maybe the performance against Belgium was what did us in -in the sense that it made Herdman think we could get away with a 2 man midfield.

I am a bit confused why our press/counter press never really returned? I take the 2nd half against Morocco to be more score effect.

I would question not pressing as well or at least some form of gegenpress.  Maybe missing young fit midfielders.  But we certainly should from the top.

Hirschfeld, Stalteri, McKenna, Devos, Brennan, Hutch, De Guzman, DeRo, Radzinski never really got close to the Hex, let alone the World Cup. So I'd say yes, qualifying, winning the group, conceding only 7 times, results in Mexico and the US, are all very surprising. I don't think motivation is the problem with John.

3 minutes ago, dennis said:

Herdman didn't have a great tournament. 2nd worst team behind the host. He may be a motivator but he's no tactician. I know we were in a tough group but seeing sides who I believe have inferior players get results (Costa Rica and Australia) shows that if you are setup correctly on the field thinks can happen. I know he got us here but looking at the talent this generation has by concacaf standards its not really that surprising.

He is a tactician, he just got blinded by the Belgium game and the fact he didn't trust the other midfielders which led to two poor formations that next two games. Ideally he'll learn from this like he did at the end of 2019 in that USA game.

8 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Belgium's own players said they are slow.

That's why it worked, but the failure is all on Herdman, he didn't adjust, and he was so arrogant.

I think people are underestimating the talent on this team, I think most of us on this forum could have coached this team to the world cup 😜

At the World Cup we needed more than a glorified cheerleader.

1 minute ago, SoCalTransport said:

Belgium's own players said they are slow.

That's why it worked, but the failure is all on Herdman, he didn't adjust, and he was so arrogant.

I think people are underestimating the talent on this team, I think most of us on this forum could have coached this team to the world cup 😜

At the World Cup we needed more than a glorified cheerleader.

John Candy No GIF by Laff

I don't why we went away from our ability to play in transition. Herdman thinks we need to play this high line and possess the ball, but it's why we lost with simple balls over the top. I would say this is a learning experience, but he did the exact same thing when we played the US in 2019. This democratic concept of letting the players decide how to play hasn't worked, and needs to stop.

Edited by PopePouri

4 hours ago, VinceA said:

image.png.7ebf65ad153936b6b2a8313b78852e7d.png

This is all I wanted John, was it that hard to do?

Yep, maybe Buchanan in for Laryea and sub players in accordingly, the main issues to me were not having Davies at LWB, David was played way to deep and I know he is more effective behind a strike partner but not that far and trying to play a 2 man midfield vs Croatia was madness!

5 hours ago, VinceA said:

image.png.7ebf65ad153936b6b2a8313b78852e7d.png

This is all I wanted John, was it that hard to do?

Yup.  Thats the lineup alright.   If you want lose, you will bench the player who has been the best for you the whole world cup, you will continue to play a player who seriously struggled and looked bad in last game, and you will pair two players up front who have proven that in WCQ that they cant develop chemistry / play together and when paired together produced poor results. 

If you want to lose, Yes, that's the lineup you want   

Sorry!! And i dont mean to be critical.   I know a lot people post their lineup choices and we are all entitled to our opinion.  Thats fair.  But I couldn't resist commenting on this one.   Have we not learned anything from the past year and a half watching WCQ and WC games.  

Edited by Free kick

6 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Yup.  Thats the lineup alright.   If you want lose, you will bench the player who has been the best for you the whole world cup, you will continue to play a player who seriously struggled and looked bad in last game, and you will pair two players up front who have proven that in WCQ that they cant develop chemistry / play together and when paired together produced poor results. 

If you want to lose, Yes, that's the lineup you want   

Sorry!! And i dont mean to be critical.   I know a lot people post their lineup choices and we are all entitled to our opinion.  Thats fair.  But I couldn't resist commenting on this one.   Have we not learned anything from the past year and a half watching WCQ and WC games.  

We ended with three losses and no points so I mean what do you want exactly? If we lose with the 3-5-2 it's probably not as egregious as the Croatia 4-1 and we don't get over pressured by Morocco early on.

Bench who? Buchanan? Sure he can go in for Laryea but I also don't mind saving weapons on the bench against tired legs. We blew our attack load early for the most part at this WC and it didn't work at all.

I'm not certain the team could absorb pressure for long periods and counter effectively to the point where it's an obvious tactical decision. Also Henry and Kennedy being out probably prevented a "back four"?

The defensive midfield situation was sort of "uncertain". Eustaquio was hurt. Hutch (39), Kone(20), Kaye hasn't played a lot this year, and Piette is good against certain teams ..maybe he could have came been on in the Croatia game I dunno. Fraser is also there but he hasn't played a lot either.

33 minutes ago, VinceA said:

We ended with three losses and no points so I mean what do you want exactly? If we lose with the 3-5-2 it's probably not as egregious as the Croatia 4-1 and we don't get over pressured by Morocco early on.

Bench who? Buchanan? Sure he can go in for Laryea but I also don't mind saving weapons on the bench against tired legs. We blew our attack load early for the most part at this WC and it didn't work at all.

Buchanan was our best player.   Atiba really showed his age in this WC and we see now why he is not getting any minutes at the club level.   We were terrific in WCQ when either of David and Larin started.  

I could see an argument for my last point but certainly not the first two.  Some of our best games in WCQ were when Atiba was not available.  Look, the guy is a legend and we need to respect everything he has done.   But even wayne gretzky in his final year in the NHL was not very good.

Also, players prefer to start rather than come off the bench.  Its harder to make an impact coming off the bench so no coach "saves weapons on the bench".  What kind of message are you sending when you ask your best performer to come off the bench? 

Edited by Free kick