Herdman new head coach

matty

You guys are absolute trash. Call yourselves fans whatever.

You've been waiting for this moment since he was hired. the eye rolling "sure he got us here" BS 

It probably hurt you more that it was Herdman that got us here then made you happy we even made it. 

You poor fools still can't get over it. 

Perhaps you would prefer a little Floro ball? Yeah maybe we should have started 9 defenders 

England didn't fire Southgate after his team lost to Croatia in the last World Cup, I don't see why we should fire Herdman for losing to Croatia with a Canadian squad.

Seriously, there are some people here that would probably be talking about how bad Herdman is, or how he has run his course, if we ended up making it to a quarter final and lost to Brazil.

He hasn't been flawless of course, but he seemed to get the tactics right against Belgium (but I still disagree with the penalty philosophy, but I know there are other managers who do the same), just didn't get the breaks that game, and then we got played off the pitch (after initially grabbing a lead mind you) against the reigning World Cup finalist.

2 hours ago, The Ref said:

The old nickname The Preacher I had given to Herman now come back to my mind.  At best I can praise him for getting us there with his preaching, but he run out of verbiage in Qatar and his lack of tactics and strategy did him in.  I don't expect the suits at the CSA to come up with anything better for 2026.

This is overblown. He is a fine, not great, tactical manager, and was better in that aspect than both Berhalter and Tata Martino in WCQ.

You can't play that many games that consistently just by "firing up the boys". He understands the game, even if he has some things to learn. Much more difficult playing your tactical hand when your opponent is holding aces.

2 hours ago, ob1 said:

You've been waiting for this moment since he was hired. the eye rolling "sure he got us here" BS 

It probably hurt you more that it was Herdman that got us here then made you happy we even made it. 

Perhaps you would prefer a little Floro ball? Yeah maybe we should have started 9 defenders 

Really? It's not cool the question a manager's tactics and such, where else in the world is that not a thing?

2 hours ago, ob1 said:

OB1, these aren't the droids you're looking for.

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

This is overblown. He is a fine, not great, tactical manager, and was better in that aspect than both Berhalter and Tata Martino in WCQ.

You can't play that many games that consistently just by "firing up the boys". He understands the game, even if he has some things to learn. Much more difficult playing your tactical hand when your opponent is holding aces.

You're replying to somebody who's been sitting on that post for at least 12-14 months. The Ref is like the CWNT sub-forum version of SpecialK. They're best ignored.

19 hours ago, ob1 said:

I do agree that he deserves full credit for getting Canada to the World Cup, and his accomplishments speak for itself.  On that basis, he has been the best Men's coach we ever had.  But that doesn't mean that he should be fully absolved for the results.   It's a team sport and the coach is part of the team win or lose.  In WCQ, I have never had any issues with whomever he has called up nor have i every had any issues with his starting lineups.  Same goes for his tactics and methods.   

What i think (just my opinion) he should have done is to use what worked well by referencing WCQ matches versus the US and Mexico as his point of reference.  Forget the rest.   If you can get a 1-1 draw in the Azteca, I would play that lineup because if that line up works at the Azteca, then there a better chance it will work at the WC.   Pounding Panama or ES..etc is not going to tell you anything about your team at the WC because there are no Panama's at the WC.

PS.:  I still hope he sticks around for 2026.  2022 wasa learning experience for everyone, Including teh coach

Edited by Free kick

I agree, some people here are the worst.

Fickle, Fickle fans.

Herdman goes from a genius for his tactics against Belgium to someone we should consider firing because of his tactics vs Croatia.

If anyone went into either of these games expecting a win, give your head a shake. 

Herdman has earned the opportunity to take us to 2026. And this is coming from someone who was against his initial hiring.

We are playing some of the best football we ever have as a nation. 

Edited by Razcal

15 minutes ago, Razcal said:

I agree, some people here are the worst.

Fickle, Fickle fans.

Herdman goes from a genius for his tactics against Belgium to someone we should consider firing because of his tactics vs Croatia.

If anyone went into either of these games expecting a win, give your head a shake. 

Herdman has earned the opportunity to take us to 2026. And this is coming from someone who was against his initial hiring.

We are playing some of the best football we ever have as a nation. 

Totally agree. People need to caml the f down.

Not only that, but these commentators obviously don't know much about the state of the game in this county. Which is fine on Twitter with all of these band wagon fans. They will get an education soon. 

You all realize that the CSA is incompetent and poor. Who we gonna get? Hart, or the guy from Hamilton's cpl club. Give me a fucking break. If you want to replace Herdman you need a been there done that coach. Those are expensive, and those do not take jobs in dysfunctional FAs. Having one Phonzie is not enough to loore one of those managers.

Now if we do well in 26 and develop more stars and hope that the CSA is a well run organization. THEN and only then can we hope a next level coach will come in.  

Hard lessons to learn but Herdman and the players will be better as a result of the Croatia game. It was a cold reality check. Perhaps they  were a bit giddy with all the positive press  received during WCQ and then the Belgium game. Some media saying we were going to progress out of the group prior to WC etc. Herdman needs to upgrade at least some of his staff in my opinion and  Cdn players need to progress to higher leagues. We need to double those numbers before 2026 especially our midfielders and defenders. Our talent is still thin. For now a good performance and result  v Morrocco will do just fine.

Herdman’s not getting fired, and I don’t think anyone on this board is proposing that.  The reality is there were no real expectations on him at this World Cup, no real pressure.   

The praise for him against Belgium was universal and deserved and the criticism for him against Croatia was universal and deserved.  That’s sports and that’s why we have this forum  

it’s pretty clear how important how even getting a draw in the first two games can change the dynamics as you are never out of it for the most part, thus the disappointment not to have made adjustments sooner against Croatia and maybe steal a tie. 

I agree with most, the game against Morocco is big for Canada soccer for other reasons that the average fan will have no clue.  Getting a result is important for our international reputation including helping our younger players not to be dismissed for club opportunities.   As most have shared we need more opportunities for our future players to develop and being a Canadian should not be a negative to overseas managers looking to take a chance and develop talent.  Somehow, someway we need to find a deeper pool especially at CB.  

On 11/28/2022 at 9:07 AM, VinceA said:

I think we're also all a bit raw because we got bounced in two games and are the second team eliminated after Qatar. That stings.

It stings to be the second team eliminated but this one of the first things that came to mind again after watching the US advance was:  Pots, Pots and damn pots again.   Being in pot 2 really has its benefits if you are a Concacaf team.   We, in pot 4, got Croatia from pot 2 and Morrocco from pot 3.    The US (from pot 2) gets Iran from pot 4 and Wales from pot 3.   The US (with two measly goals) didn't even have to play well in their three games in order to advance.   Iran is not very good.  Wales, whom I was cheering for because of the great story, don't have any talent besides one or two players and they get lucky by a combination or world events and a very favorable draw in the UEFA WCQ playoff.   I could say the same with Mexico who got Poland and the Saudi's.   what a difference.  

As co-host, Pots won't matter in 2026.   But that's why the WC draw is important, and it highlights the enormous advantage that pot 1 teams have in the World Cup.  

Edited by Free kick

15 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Despite my criticism of Herdman's decision, I'd rather he makes those mistake here than in 2026 and he has a track-record of recognizing his mistakes and adjust.

We'll have a much easier group in 2026, nothing less than round of 16* will be a disappointment.

*(I think there's going to be a round of 32 🙄)

Didnt adjust last game 

Herdman's #1 priority after this WC is figuring out how to get the best out of Davies and David. When you have players of that caliber, they have to excel in any system/tactical set up that is used. The only time where both were our best players for the majority of the game was vs Suriname. I don't think our team is good enough to play with 2 CMs at WC level. Take a look at the USA. They have 3 and each is better than our best mid at this point. David needs service through the middle and that is best achieved with an offensively gifted mid. 

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Herdman's #1 priority after this WC is figuring out how to get the best out of Davies and David. When you have players of that caliber, they have to excel in any system/tactical set up that is used. The only time where both were our best players for the majority of the game was vs Suriname. I don't think our team is good enough to play with 2 CMs at WC level. Take a look at the USA. They have 3 and each is better than our best mid at this point. David needs service through the middle and that is best achieved with an offensively gifted mid. 

And identifying as many high calibre new recruits as possible.  We need depth, depth, depth. Part of this will be about bringing young guys into the program so they can grow and get to understand our system (do we have one?) and what it will take to crack the NT.  

8 hours ago, canuckgbp said:

Minor correction. What he actually said when asked if he would be coach in 2026, he replied:

I will be tomorrow. I will be excited tomorrow, absolutely. Absolutely. You know, eleven years of work in this country. I’ve been pioneering, ya know, for a long period of time, and you’ll not find anyone as passionate as I am about this program or about these players, or about this staff. You’ll not find anyone as passionate, who wants to take the country to that next level. And you’ll not meet anyone that’s experienced this moment with this team, so.. and the learnings that I’ll take from this and into the next one.

The one thing you’ve seen from us is we always come back stronger. Ya know, in 2015 we finished 6th place in the women’s Olympics [World Cup]. 2016 we go back-to-back podiums in over a century. Three years later they take the gold medal. We came to this World Cup, Thierry Henry told me this team played them off the park. I’ll take that, because if that’s our foundation we’ve got a great four years ahead and I can’t wait to get after it.

You can certainly infer from the rest of his statement that he wants to continue to 2026 if something better isn’t offered to him, but he did not explicitly say “absolutely” to the question posed. Galindo should amend his tweet.