Herdman new head coach

matty

I dont want to pile on Herdman when things are bleak, but come on.  You've been to WC, Olympics, Gold cups etc, this isnt your first rodeo.  Dont tell us you are learning....end of the game you go directly to the other coach and shake hands.  You want Canada to be a proper football country, earn respect, then act like a proper manager.  You've made a goof with your post game last time, no biggie but you should make a point of showing your not a total ass and give gongrats to your opponent after losing.  

5 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I dont want to pile on Herdman when things are bleak, but come on.  You've been to WC, Olympics, Gold cups etc, this isnt your first rodeo.  Dont tell us you are learning....end of the game you go directly to the other coach and shake hands.  You want Canada to be a proper football country, earn respect, then act like a proper manager.  You've made a goof with your post game last time, no biggie but you should make a point of showing your not a total ass and give gongrats to your opponent after losing.  

3 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

I’m confused. 

As in another thread, Herdman should have gone to have shaked his hands but the Croatian coach making a fuss about it isn't exactly good form either. If that was representative of Dalic's general attitude after his win Herdman might very well have some serious extenuating circumstances here...

Edited by phil03

Hmmm, I wonder why the Croatian coach might not have a good attitude with regards to Herdman.  What could it be.......hmmmmm.   Listen, Herdman beaked off and in the end it was us who got F'd and it looks like he didnt stand up and search the other coach out.  Just bad form, and he has been around in international ball a long time, he should know better.  

6 minutes ago, phil03 said:

As in another thread, Herdman should have gone to have shaked his hands but the Croatian coach making a fuss about it isn't exactly good form either. If that was representative of Dalic's general attitude after his win Herdman might very well have some serious extenuating circumstances here...

Iduno what happend. But Dalic is known as being a fussy little b. I have Croatian friends who find him arrogant. But he does a good job for them.  

Just now, VinceA said:

I'm a little worried for 2026 as stats generally say you shouldn't give a coach more than one cycle. 

What does everyone else think?

This maybe unfair. But perhaps Herdman was who we needed to make our first World Cup. But we'll need an even better manager to get to the next level 

9 minutes ago, Vasi said:

Iduno what happend. But Dalic is known as being a fussy little b. I have Croatian friends who find him arrogant. But he does a good job for them.  

Then all the more reasons for him to shut up since he probably has a fair few incidents in his own background...

10 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Hmmm, I wonder why the Croatian coach might not have a good attitude with regards to Herdman.  What could it be.......hmmmmm.   Listen, Herdman beaked off and in the end it was us who got F'd and it looks like he didnt stand up and search the other coach out.  Just bad form, and he has been around in international ball a long time, he should know better.  

Again, not denying that Herdman did wrong here but two wrongs don't make a right. Players mentioned the f**k up comments, for which Herdman did his mea culpa for, is fair but when you win and its hard for the other person you don't go around saying how the other person is a bad looser for being upset about it unless they really put it in your face, that's being the epithomy of being a sore winner. Not seeking Dalic doesn't rise to that. If he think Herdman showed bad form again and need to learn then he need to look at his own form first and learn himself.

Edited by phil03

7 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I'm a little worried for 2026 as stats generally say you shouldn't give a coach more than one cycle. 

Herdman is a builder. We need him to build the structure a bit more. Then we get a better coach. For the 30 wc. 

Im afraid if he goes now the clowns at the CSA will fuck it all up and our team will become a tire fire after 26. That is my biggest fear. 

Edited by Vasi

Nobody gets a free ride--nor should they--just because they performed well in the past. Herdman's job is safe for the moment, but he will need to grow as a person, tactician, and manager AND get results on the field with our lads. If he does that, if we see steady progress, then he's earned the job.  Plain and simple.

Herdman coached us to finishing first in the region during qualification, including some massive moments.   He also coached us to what should have been a win against Belgium except for some poor finishing.  One somewhat weak game against Croatia (and some minor missteps off the field) and suddenly we are looking for a new coach for 2026?  Not for me.  If our core group of young guys gets to grow with Herdman over the next 4 years, we will build to something even more special.    

5 minutes ago, VinceA said:

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

This maybe unfair. But perhaps Herdman was who we needed to make our first World Cup. But we'll need an even better manager to get to the next level 

Óscar Tabárez's 2nd stint as Uruguay coach lasted 15 years, which including 3 WC cycles + tournaments, 5 Copa America tournaments, 1 Confederations Cup tournament, and 1 Olympic football tournament.

Now, is John Herdman comparable to Tabárez? A stretch perhaps, but Tabárez started a process with Uruguay. Who's to say this can't be the start of a process for us too.

Screenshot_20221127-150135_Chrome.jpg

Haven't you heard? the CSA doesn't have the money to pay for a better coach. Seriously though, there are certain areas of our team that are weak. Other than David, who has been poor, we do not have any forwards that are playing regularly for their club AND scoring. We also need an upgrade at CB, which could happen with more experience for Kamal or not. Vitoria is probably retiring.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

1 hour ago, Vasi said:

Herdman is a builder. We need him to build the structure a bit more. Then we get a better coach. For the 30 wc. 

Im afraid if he goes now the clowns at the CSA will fuck it all up and our team will become a tire fire after 26. That is my biggest fear. 

Agreed. In this situation, I'll go with a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.  Things are not broke, by any stretch, and do not need fixing.  The various complaints are justifiable, but pretty minor in comparison to the results overall, and certainly in terms of disqualifying Herdman from continuing.

Jeeze, i can't believe some of the posts in this forum. Many members are one or two beers away from pulling out the pitch forks and going after Herdman. That's unbelievable.

I joined this forum just before we started our WC qualifications and the consensus on this board was we were not going to make it to Qatar. A few starry-eyed, pothead dreamers ventured we would finish 4th, get lucky and make it that way. Herdman did more than that. He built a structure, gave this team a purpose. We qualified for Qatar and finished on top of CONCACA. Now, that's not enough, John. What's your next miracle? 

And this is coming from someone who thought we would make it out of the group stage.

I think the lack of international games did this team in. You have to know how well to play to win. We never gauged ourselves against European, South American teams. In this upcoming cycle the CSA needs to schedule friendlies with major opponents from Europe, Asia, Africa and South American. And that's aside from the Nation League and Gold Cup games.

I really thought this team would make it to the round of 16. They didn't. I'm a little disappointed but extremely proud of what these players and this coaching staff have accomplished the past two years.

And quite honestly lost respect for those members who are sharpening their pitchforks.

One thing KJ pointed out was Herdman lost trust with some of his midfielders and ended up with only 2 he could rely on. A damn shame it happened so close to the tournament.

He was in love with Kaye until he started becoming the inconsistent player he is today, and it seems arguably he doesn't think Piette can hang at this level (rightly or wrongly, perhaps he could've eased the burden on Eustaquio and Hutch) not to mention Fraser's choice to go play at a really low level and Wotherspoon's injury. Kone was also just too young and inexperienced.

16 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Jeeze, i can't believe some of the posts in this forum. Many members are one or two beers away from pulling out the pitch forks and going after Herdman. That's unbelievable.

Go back a page, the speculation 2 days ago was that he was going to leave us.  Isnt that what social media is about, wild mood swings??  

I think the Benito debacle forever cured me of the idea that you can reliably find a "better" manager. When it comes to big name managers, we will always be first-and-foremost a target for guys looking to stay busy in their retirement.

Honestly, I would rather we take a swing on a high-upside young manager (like Nancy) than Ancelotti, as crazy as that may sound.

I think its pretty telling that the USMNT, which has ~30 years more (mostly) continuous experience at this level, has a young domestic manager - ditto England, for that matter.

It’s difficult I’ve never really liked Herdman at all. But obviously he was the guy to get us there in full credit for doing so. I was dead wrong. 

If he decides to go a different way and we get someone else who is a little bit more of a tactician and less of a cheerleader, I think it’ll do the program wonders. Then again I might be dead wrong about that too.