Herdman new head coach

matty

What does Herdman say to his troops after Egypt beats Belgium.  That must have changed the narrative. I wish that hadn't have happened, it kind of kills the underdog approach.

In the recent past "New Canada" has drawn bigger opponents (USA, Mexico) and come out thinking they should have won, will this come to pass vs Belgium?  Did Egypt expose the Belgians as being on the wane or will they come out with a vengeance.

2 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

What does Herdman say to his troops after Egypt beats Belgium.  That must have changed the narrative. I wish that hadn't have happened, it kind of kills the underdog approach.

In the recent past "New Canada" has drawn bigger opponents (USA, Mexico) and come out thinking they should have won, will this come to pass vs Belgium?  Did Egypt expose the Belgians as being on the wane or will they come out with a vengeance.

Herdman will emphasize the stat that 82% of teams who win their first match advance out of the group stage. They will come out hard.

56 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

Herdman will emphasize the stat that 82% of teams who win their first match advance out of the group stage. They will come out hard.

First matches are vital but I remember being tremendously disappointed in Carolina Morace after Canada lost their first round game to Germany in the 2011 WWC.  This was when Germany and the US were far and away the best teams over everyone else and the Germans had the home field advantage. It should have been seen as a tremendous effort but apparently Morace treated it as an epic failure and then they spiraled out of control. 

If Canada can put in the effort like they did vs Uruguay and (even better) Japan and still lose the game, it will still be something to build on and not a catastrophe.

52 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Hilarious, he is getting praise now, because no one paid any attention during CONCACAF qualifiers.  When we beat Mexico and the US on one was interested,  

Of course people were interested but not everyone follows Concacaf qualifiers believe it or not. Do you know all the storylines in the Asian qualifiers? Of course you don’t. 

1 hour ago, frmr said:

Of course people were interested but not everyone follows Concacaf qualifiers believe it or not. Do you know all the storylines in the Asian qualifiers? Of course you don’t. 

I'm not getting paid to be a media pundit.  You'd think they would know a little about the top team from each region CONCACAF, AFC or Asia etc.  

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

I'm not getting paid to be a media pundit.  You'd think they would know a little about the top team from each region CONCACAF, AFC or Asia etc.  

If they're getting paid to cover Concacaf they would surely know how good he is. If they're not getting paid to cover Concacaf they likely wouldn't be looking that up in their free time. Of course many people will only be learning about Canada now that we're in the World Cup, media included.

2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

and the same will happen for our players. This is one advantage to playing in Europe notwithstanding You Tube   :)

On this line of thought, where do you stand on making the WC every two years? I understand the purist side of things but as it stands the WC is pretty much the only way our nat team can get high quality tournament competition...not to mention exposure. Concacaf is great and all but it isn't given much credit or attention on an international scale and the we're clearly growing beyond most of the competition in our region.