Herdman new head coach

matty

CR:  I was surprised that he didn't make a jump to a big payday/farewell tour somewhere in MLS this season. 

Man U is like an addict at the start of rehab:  they are going to have more low points but I think the Dutchman in charge will be afforded a fair bit of time before the ownership (current or future) re-evaluates.

TFC making a play for Herdman?  That would be a total MLSE move.

There is no evidence Herdman could handle a locker room 6 days a week. 

He would apparently have strong team values and locker room ethics, but the challenge is handling things when things do not go so well. 

In any case, a club team, whatever it may be, is rather different than a NT, and he'd have to adjust in an even bigger way than managing women then men. 

I'll give him this: he has something a lot of managers from lower divisions have never had, which is handling big stars and egos, something always worth taking into account the bigger the club.

• 3 weeks later...

Before the Ocho Herdman went out and declared that his team would make it to Qatar. For the World Cup, he's using another tactic to inspire his players. Here's a quote in the TSN article of this morning: 

https://www.tsn.ca/fifa-world-cup/canada-s-davies-ready-to-embrace-leadership-role-at-2022-fifa-world-cup-1.1871052

“He is new Canada,” Herdman said. “I think he embodies what this team is about, what this country is about – the confidence, the swagger, the anything’s possible. And this kid is a refugee from West Africa, who’s got Champions League trophies, all these Bundesliga titles, and he’s 22 years old. So, I’m sure he’s thinking he’s winning this World Cup. And that’s the new Canadian mindset. This is what we want Canadians to think.”

The italics are mine. I wonder if this isn't subliminal messaging on Herdman's part.

Edited by Sal333

From Consett to Qatar, John Herdman with Stephen Brunt: Starting Monday November 7th

A sneak peek of the upcoming exclusive four-part series with Stephen Brunt and Canadian Men's Soccer coach John Herdman, detailing the life and rise of Herdman, from small town Consett, UK to leading Canada to a World Cup berth in Qatar.

A good trailer video.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/videos/soccer/video/consett-qatar-john-herdman-stephen-brunt-starting-monday-november-7th

Dunlop does a Q&A with Herdman for Macleans.

Notable newish Herdman quotes:

I was much more of a “teacher” coach on the women’s side. I’m still rooted in that, but we have less time in camp with the men’s team, and some players don’t want to be taught as much, or they need other support. To me, elite athletes are elite athletes. People say, “Come on, man. Are you naive? There are differences between men and women.” Social conditioning makes people see them differently. I’ve been able to lose the sorts of traditional lenses that other people still have on.

I’ve always held the philosophy that work made fun gets done, so we do icebreakers before every team meeting. Sometimes, the guys play “rock, paper, scissors” or “grab the cup.” (we saw this in WECAN doc)

There were smoke and red flares when the team bus pulled into Hamilton before our qualifier against the United States—that was an atmosphere as good as you’d get in England. We felt like Liverpool FC pulling up for a Champions League match. But the men’s team had to build trust with results before our fans could fill stadiums like they did at our freezing-cold qualifier in Edmonton last November. 

I’ve made “learning something new” a part of my daily routine. Whether I’m running or lifting weights, I’ve always got some leadership or self-improvement audiobook in my ear. I was listening to podcasts before they were cool.

I do want to coach club football one day, but I’ve got a contract through 2026.

Canadians support all sports, but hockey is in their hearts. Qatar was a critical part of pushing soccer’s flywheel here, and 2026 will push it even further. It may take 50 years to catch on, but this is a start. That’s the beauty this team will be remembered for.

https://www.macleans.ca/sports/world-cup-soccer-canada-herdman-interview/

2 hours ago, red card said:

From Consett to Qatar, John Herdman with Stephen Brunt: Starting Monday November 7th

A sneak peek of the upcoming exclusive four-part series with Stephen Brunt and Canadian Men's Soccer coach John Herdman, detailing the life and rise of Herdman, from small town Consett, UK to leading Canada to a World Cup berth in Qatar.

A good trailer video.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/videos/soccer/video/consett-qatar-john-herdman-stephen-brunt-starting-monday-november-7th

I was waiting for this.  

14 hours ago, red card said:

A good trailer video.

Stephen Brunt is an excellent sports reporter. I can't wait to see this series!

12 hours ago, red card said:

I was much more of a “teacher” coach on the women’s side. I’m still rooted in that, but we have less time in camp with the men’s team, and some players don’t want to be taught as much, or they need other support. To me, elite athletes are elite athletes. People say, “Come on, man. Are you naive? There are differences between men and women.” Social conditioning makes people see them differently. I’ve been able to lose the sorts of traditional lenses that other people still have on.

I’ve always held the philosophy that work made fun gets done, so we do icebreakers before every team meeting. Sometimes, the guys play “rock, paper, scissors” or “grab the cup.” (we saw this in WECAN doc)

There were smoke and red flares when the team bus pulled into Hamilton before our qualifier against the United States—that was an atmosphere as good as you’d get in England. We felt like Liverpool FC pulling up for a Champions League match. But the men’s team had to build trust with results before our fans could fill stadiums like they did at our freezing-cold qualifier in Edmonton last November. 

I’ve made “learning something new” a part of my daily routine. Whether I’m running or lifting weights, I’ve always got some leadership or self-improvement audiobook in my ear. I was listening to podcasts before they were cool.

Canadians support all sports, but hockey is in their hearts. Qatar was a critical part of pushing soccer’s flywheel here, and 2026 will push it even further. It may take 50 years to catch on, but this is a start. That’s the beauty this team will be remembered for.

In the most positive sense of the description, Herdman is our Ted Lasso.  Viewed as an outside to Men’s soccer he has come to our program with a fresh perspective, one that looks to the positive, to buildnonnhisnplayer’s strengths, to always innovate as he himself keeps learning along with the players.  

3 hours ago, cornerkick said:

the first 2 parts of the sportsnet interview are now up.   good content so far.  they play background music through the entire thing, which is a bit annoying...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article/from-consett-to-qatar-john-herdman-stephen-brunt-interview-series-begins-monday/ 

Two 4-minute videos in there. Third video comes out November 9, fourth comes out November 10.

On 11/9/2022 at 12:07 AM, Ally McCoist said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article/from-consett-to-qatar-john-herdman-stephen-brunt-interview-series-begins-monday/ 

Two 4-minute videos in there. Third video comes out November 9, fourth comes out November 10.

All 4 parts out now. Pretty interesting, especially in the 4th one talking about how he got the CMNT job. He says he had basically already accepted the England WNT job before Montopoli convinced him to stay.

On 11/9/2022 at 4:38 PM, VinceA said:

Does anyone have an idea of who the Ex-England player was who gave a backhanded compliment to a young Herdman? I'm surprised the guy hasn't come forward to get some press ahead of the WC.

I think you'd have to look at who was also coaching in the Sunderland academy around the time that Herdman was there. Perhaps it was Peter Reid, who had a decent career with England and was first team manager around that time.

2 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I think you'd have to look at who was also coaching in the Sunderland academy around the time that Herdman was there. Perhaps it was Peter Reid, who had a decent career with England and was first team manager around that time.

Ah, Peter Reid:  he never met an f-word he didn't like 😉

On 11/4/2022 at 7:20 PM, red card said:

Hoping we keep Herdman going into 2026 especially when we host in our backyard 

In retrospect, the timing of Herdman's appointment was perfect. It's been a symbiotic relationship. A young group of highly talented players with no historic baggage and PTSD and wily veterans with a lot of Concacaf disappointments. It's also worked for JH as meticulous organization, planning & motivation are his strengths. He has grown and adapted to change as have the players. Eric Tenllado has been a solid addition on the tactical side. It's going to get more challenging if he does stick around for the next cycle.