Herdman new head coach

matty

Daily Mail with a Herdman piece.

Newish stuff include:

He's going nowhere: ‘I'm signed here with Canada until 2026. We've got a home World Cup. A big part of taking this mission on was to take a squad where we can build the foundations of a high-performance structure, which was non-existent coming into this role - it was a complete rebuild.

‘Getting to 2022 we've got it to a certain place. And the goal is to take it to the next level as we push towards 2026.’

Two seismic events in his formative years: In 1980 came the closure of Consett steel works where his grandfather and father worked – an early memory is of his maternal grandfather, a former boxer and union leader protesting against Margaret Thatcher’s government.

In his teenage years his father’s deteriorating mental health culminated in his parents’ divorce. This was a particularly unhappy time with Herdman repeatedly getting into brawls with his peers in a deprived area.

Unable to choose which parent to live with, Herdman opted to live alone in a council house aged 16. The second of three brothers, he acted as a father figure to his younger sibling, seven years his junior, and immersed himself in coaching 11-year-olds as part of his Duke of Edinburgh’s Award. It changed his life.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11246599/Move-Gareth-Southgate-Canada-boss-John-Herdman-Englishman-whos-history.html?ito=native_share_article-masthead

I feel like that article has been shared before, I think that’s the one and only, haha.

you couldn’t write a better movie than this. Poor kid from the unforgiving north east, family went to shit after the mine closed and dad’s mental went south. navigated his teen years with his fists until he sought redemption in far flung New Zealand and Canada coaching the women’s game until he took a ragtag group of Canadians who were seen as a joke domestically, from the Cayman Islands and Aruba all the way to the World Cup for the first time in a generation.

honestly, if we get out of the group stage at the WC, someone will buy the rights to make that movie.

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing some USMNT Youtubers speculating that the USSF may approach Herdman post WC. The main thing they're sighting is that it seems Herdman's making 200k CAD with Canada right now. The US are currently paying Berhalter 1.2 Million USD. He could stand to get a huge raise.

Herdman's said he wants to see the 2026 vision but at the same time if someone offers me a huge raise....

1 minute ago, VinceA said:

Seeing some USMNT Youtubers speculating that the USSF may approach Herdman post WC. The main thing they're sighting is that it seems Herdman's making 200k CAD with Canada right now. The US are currently paying Berhalter 1.2 Million USD. He could stand to get a huge raise.

Herdman's said he wants to see the 2026 vision but at the same time if someone offers me a huge raise....

$200k can’t be right?!

3 hours ago, VinceA said:

I think I posted it somewhere earlier on this thread. This link says Herdman is making about C$650k or 480k in euros. 

https://financefootball.com/2022/07/04/best-paid-head-coaches-in-2022-fifa-world-cup/

2 hours ago, red card said:

I think I posted it somewhere earlier on this thread. This link says Herdman is making about C$650k or 480k in euros. 

https://financefootball.com/2022/07/04/best-paid-head-coaches-in-2022-fifa-world-cup/

We heard somewhere that his whole team, I guess with assistants, not sure who else, costs a million Canadian.

On 9/26/2022 at 7:26 PM, InglewoodJack said:

I feel like that article has been shared before, I think that’s the one and only, haha.

you couldn’t write a better movie than this. Poor kid from the unforgiving north east, family went to shit after the mine closed and dad’s mental went south. navigated his teen years with his fists until he sought redemption in far flung New Zealand and Canada coaching the women’s game until he took a ragtag group of Canadians who were seen as a joke domestically, from the Cayman Islands and Aruba all the way to the World Cup for the first time in a generation.

honestly, if we get out of the group stage at the WC, someone will buy the rights to make that movie.

Yeah, and turn Herdman into an American who saved the USA NT. 

A doubling of salary is tempting for anyone, and only Herdman would know the answer, but is that really enough money to leave Canada (where he's resided for well over a decade) and leave a Canadian program halfway through the biggest and most important project in the history of the men's national team? And would the USSF grant Herdman the level of autonomy, control and influence to build what he's built for the Canadian Soccer Association? We can only speculate, but I have a hard time imagining it.

Now if it were the English National team offering him this money? I could more easily imagine him jumping ship. The English NT is a much more prestigious opportunity, one that would seem like the highest echelon for someone like Herdman -- and he's English. The USMNT post is not even close to being as illustrious. A bigger job than the Canadian job? Yeah surely, but not so big that the extra pressure would be worth it. They are a direct rival as well and I know it's a business, but I can't help but imagine loyalty would be in our favor. I just can't see him betraying this group of young men for basically the same project down south -- against their rivals. 

I think as far as this would go would be Herdman using it as leverage to get an improved deal for him and his staff. I hope I am right. We need him. 

And by the way, does anyone else get the impression the USSF are two steps behind Canada Soccer?

First of all, we decided to use the weather to our advantage (Finally!) and pull off the unimaginable scene that was Iceteca, getting the full points and capturing the imagination-- creating what I would call a heritage moment for men's soccer in Canada. 

So, what did USSF do in response? They tried to copy our blueprint with the Minnesota qualifier, and it all kind of fell flat, didn't it? Sure, the USA won the game, but it wasn't the moment in soccer history that Iceteca was -- it wasn't even the Colorado snow bowl vs Costa Rica. It was actually heavily criticized by the USA fan base for being completely unnecessary, especially as it was against an already down-and-out Honduras.

Now, secondly, they see Herdman and want to poach him, of course not before he made waves with the men's team, but only after they saw his potential play out, as he transformed the Canadian men. So once again, these rumors of poaching Herdman feel like they are playing catch up and reacting to us. It gives me the same vibes I got from their decision to play in Minnesota in minus 30-degree weather, which was just an insane, over the top, hair-brained idea.

The USSF could have easily plucked Herdman from the Canadian women's program, had they been willing to bet on him the way the CSA did, but they didn't and NOW they want to snatch him and see him re-create the magic up north?

Feels kind of funny to me, especially seeing how the CSA is largely dysfunctional in their own right. Does anyone else see it like this, or is it just me?

Edited by Obinna

Re above: the US won't move on Herdman or anyone until after the World Cup. 

Berhalter has beaten Mexico in Nations League and the Gold Cup, so that has to be some credit. He also qualified the US for the WC, which is better than his predecessor. The team is quite young still. There are a lot of reasons for the US to not be overreacting. 

And more so since it'll be very hard for Canada to look particularly good this upcoming tournament. If I'm mistaken, of course that means Herdman will get offers (a third spot even, or the knock-out round). What I am saying: we could be well-coached, and play well, but there may not be the sort of reward and that could have repercussions for offers for players and the coach.

But if the US also does the same, gets out of their group? You can't fire Berhalter if they do that.

I keep thinking of Herdman's set-up in Vancouver with his wife and kids. For now, I think he has younger kids who are settled, and that is often a factor. Like a typical Anglo, the idea of gifting your kids another language is likely not even considered (contrast with many Spaniard players and coaches who'll cite going to MLS or EPL for their kids to be schooled in English).

Thinking of other national teams, you have to think there are a few underachievers out there, most notably Norway with Haaland and Odegaard...In any case, for me, Herdman's next step in NT terms would be like that, or an Austria, the Swiss. Club teams, maybe in the Championship. I seriously doubt he is anywhere near getting bites from a top flight team in a top league.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Re above: the US won't move on Herdman or anyone until after the World Cup. 

Berhalter has beaten Mexico in Nations League and the Gold Cup, so that has to be some credit. He also qualified the US for the WC, which is better than his predecessor. The team is quite young still. There are a lot of reasons for the US to not be overreacting. 

And more so since it'll be very hard for Canada to particularly good this upcoming tournament. If I'm mistaken, of course that means Herdman will get offers (a third spot even, or the knock-out round). But if the US also does the same, gets out of their group?

I keep thinking of Herdman's set-up in Vancouver with his wife and kids. For now, I think he has younger kids who are settled, and that is often a factor. Like a typical Anglo, the idea of gifting your kids another language is likely not even considered (contrast with many Spaniard players and coaches who'll cite going to MLS or EPL for their kids to be schooled in English).

Thinking of other national teams, you have to think there are a few underachievers out there, most notably Norway with Haaland and Odegaard...

Quite frankly I'm more worried that an English club side would make an offer he couldn't refuse 

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Thinking of other national teams, you have to think there are a few underachievers out there, most notably Norway with Haaland and Odegaard...

After the World Cup, who says it has to be a national team?  If he is about staying in NA and looking for a club challenge, I can think of one really overpromising and massively underachieving side with deep pockets to offer him a king's ransom to be their new Messiah 😉

1 minute ago, BearcatSA said:

After the World Cup, who says it has to be a national team?  If he is about staying in NA and looking for a club challenge, I can think of one really overpromising and massively underachieving side with deep pockets to offer him a king's ransom to be their new Messiah 😉

And now, presenting the new manager of Manchester United Football Club, John Herdman!

Just now, BearcatSA said:

I was thinking a little closer to here...

I was originally going to go with TFC actually, but last night I watched their struggle in the Europa League highlights against Nicosia, so I got them on the brain. It is still so incredible to me how epic their fall from grace has been (and continues to be).

And I was never the biggest fan of Ronaldo, but it saddens me to see how he became a shadow of him former self at that club. They are such a disgrace at the moment that even Jesus Christ himself couldn't perform a miracle big enough to restore them to former glory.

Sorry to any Man U fans reading this, but it's the truth. I hope Jonathan David stays far away from there.