Herdman new head coach

matty

12 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

Keep this fellow Herdman if he doesnt ,  there is a certain canadian who almost qualified a very lousy greek national team to the WC.

John Van't Ship

Ahh.  Robert - is that you?  Well played, with the fake Argentine persona.  I was suspicious with the Colyn call, but John Van't Ship is a bit of a give away.  Welcome back.

8 minutes ago, kacbru said:

Ahh.  Robert - is that you?  Well played, with the fake Argentine persona.  I was suspicious with the Colyn call, but John Van't Ship is a bit of a give away.  Welcome back.

Haha!!  I had the same thought months ago 

8 minutes ago, kacbru said:

No, I'm Françoià from Padua,  but Colyn is common sense and on Van't Ship in my opinion he currently is the best Canadian football coach.  

11 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

No, I'm Françoià from Padua,  but Colyn is common sense and on Van't Ship in my opinion he currently is the best Canadian football coach.  

He hasn't had a job coaching for almost a year, since resigning from Greece.

He's either in decline or looking like on a retirement path. Not sure. But if he is not coaching, with the decent pedigree he has, it is likely his choice. Okay: a year without work is not a long time.

It's so great that we qualified for this World Cup in advance of 2026.  The experience the players and staff get from this one will be invaluable for the one in Canada.  The whole team is working hard, but it's clear that a lot of the preparations are a crap shoot.  Some may come off brilliantly, and some may be a complete flop.  I really hope that the staff can stay together and apply what they will have learned for 2026.  It would be a waste if they were disbanded and all that knowledge just dissipated.

12 minutes ago, rkomar said:

It's so great that we qualified for this World Cup in advance of 2026.  The experience the players and staff get from this one will be invaluable for the one in Canada.  The whole team is working hard, but it's clear that a lot of the preparations are a crap shoot.  Some may come off brilliantly, and some may be a complete flop.  I really hope that the staff can stay together and apply what they will have learned for 2026.  It would be a waste if they were disbanded and all that knowledge just dissipated.

I am trying to keep the perspective that we really have already “won” just by qualifying.  Some may view that as a loser mentality but the reality is that we weren’t really expected to qualify.  This WC is a bonus and, like you said, it is perfect that we have this opportunity to prep for 2026.  

I obviously hope we get goals, win games, advance out of our group, and all the other milestones we could set for success, but at the end of the day we are playing two ridiculously talented teams and a team that will also be heading into the group games with an underdog mentality that will make them a really dangerous opponent.  We are still the lowest ranked team in our group and one of the lowest ranked teams at the whole tournament so there is a very real chance we fail to achieve the list of the targets people are setting (and in many cases expecting).  

40 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am trying to keep the perspective that we really have already “won” just by qualifying.  Some may view that as a loser mentality but the reality is that we weren’t really expected to qualify.  This WC is a bonus and, like you said, it is perfect that we have this opportunity to prep for 2026.  

I obviously hope we get goals, win games, advance out of our group, and all the other milestones we could set for success, but at the end of the day we are playing two ridiculously talented teams and a team that will also be heading into the group games with an underdog mentality that will make them a really dangerous opponent.  We are still the lowest ranked team in our group and one of the lowest ranked teams at the whole tournament so there is a very real chance we fail to achieve the list of the targets people are setting (and in many cases expecting).  

Yeap is a puny mentality.  You go for The whole damned thing.  You play your wc for 9 points to get out of this group.  Canadá plays the wc against Belgique Croatia and Marruecos.   The more points from these 4.  Then The rest is a bonus.  

Check the Irish they still think they could have won the world cup in 2002. 

1)If Keane had played

2)if they had beaten Spain in a match Ireland dominated the whole 120minutes woodwork a penalty missed Spain with 10 men etc.  Lost on penalties.  Mick McCarthy said " we came to Japan to win the whole thing"

53 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I disagree. Anybody following the team closely since the beginning of the qualification cycle in March knew that this team was different. I was actually expecting us to get no less than 4th.

1 minute ago, Ally McCoist said:

I disagree. Anybody following the team closely since the beginning of the qualification cycle in March knew that this team was different. I was actually expecting us to get no less than 4th.

Exactly you play for 9 points vs those 3.  The first two who get more points advance.  Then it is a bonus

Can Canada be the dark horse of 2022?

Dark Horse 1986... Denmark Belgique

Dark Horse 1990 Eire and Cameroon

Dark horse 1994 Bulgaria Romania

Dark horse 1998. Croatia 

Dark horse 2002 Eire Turkey Senegal

Dark horse. 2006. Australia 

Dark horse 2010 NZ  Chile Paraguay Uruguay

Dark horse 2014 Greece Costa Rica Colombia Algeria

Dark horse 2018 Japan  Sweden

52 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

....at the end of the day we are playing two ridiculously talented teams and a team that will also be heading into the group games with an underdog mentality that will make them a really dangerous opponent.  We are still the lowest ranked team in our group and one of the lowest ranked teams at the whole tournament so there is a very real chance we fail to achieve the list of the targets people are setting (and in many cases expecting).  

When you say lowest ranked team you are obviously referring to the FIFA rankings. I don't have to tell you those rankings are not a true picture of this team today. Those rankings are a history lesson. They tell us what this team has been. To counter those rankings I ask you to check the standings of the CONCACA WC Qualifying. Canada topped the standings. This team tied both Mexico and the US in their barns and we beat them both  at home. In my books that places this team on par with (if not above)  the Yanks and the Mexicans.

I agree with you we are facing two ridiculously talented teams. I would even add ridiculously more talented than our team. But at the risk of upsetting Unnamed Trialist once again, I'll add we have aces up our sleeves when it comes to our coaching staff. I think the tactics and preparation the staff will implement will level out the playing field. Herdman is a new type of manager. He is innovative, strategic and motivated.

I expect Canada to get out of the group. After that it becomes a crap shoot especially if we have to face Spain or Germany.  

16 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

Yeap is a puny mentality.  You go for The whole damned thing.  You play your wc for 9 points to get out of this group.  Canadá plays the wc against Belgique Croatia and Marruecos.   The more points from these 4.  Then The rest is a bonus.  

Check the Irish they still think they could have won the world cup in 2002. 

1)If Keane had played

2)if they had beaten Spain in a match Ireland dominated the whole 120minutes woodwork a penalty missed Spain with 10 men etc.  Lost on penalties.  Mick McCarthy said " we came to Japan to win the whole thing"

Of course you go for it.  I never said otherwise.  And I hope we do awesome in every single game and exceed expectations.  

But do I expect us to win?  Honestly, I don’t have a ton of optimism.   Belgium is #2 in the world.  You can hope we win while recognizing that it will be an absolutely Herculean task to get results in this group.  Croatia is 15th and as much as people can talk about Modric’s age, the fact remains that he is still an absolutely vital and effective player for the current Champions League title holders.  Morocco is our best shot at a result and they are ranked better and will be aggressively prepping for these matches at least as rigorously as we have been.   

If we end up getting 1 point in the entire group stage with, say, two losses and  a draw against Morocco, I am still not going to look at this overall WC as a failure.  Sure it will be disappointing not to pull some big shock upset, but the reality is that we are very much expected to finish last in our group.   Not  overachieving will not diminish what I feel has been an amazing World Cup cycle. 

2 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I expect Canada to get out of the group. After that it becomes a crap shoot especially if we have to face Spain or Germany.  

I guess this is the sort of thing I am avoiding.  Hope to get out of the group? Sure.  Of course.  

But EXPECT to get out of the group?   Honestly, no, not really.  I just think you are setting yourself up to be disappointed about the biggest accomplishment in Canadian soccer to happen in the last 36 years.  And I think that is unfortunate.  If the team doesn’t meet those crazy-high expectations, there are a bunch of people who will view their efforts as failing- when really the bar you are setting is at best a huge stretch goal.  

I am sure lots will think that is defeatist.  And I am okay with that.  I just think there is a lot of daylight between what I hope they do and what I expect them to do - and there is nothing cowardly in acknowledging that reality.  

25 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

Holy shit that confidence! Do you mind if i ask how much you made on that bet? Jk jk but seriously can I have the contact number of your crystal ball provider cuz mine wouldn't give me a straight answer at the time. Kept showing random words like "Duverger" and then a "🦵🏽" and then just a non-stop series of laughing crying emojis. Seriously though now, I wish I had your confidence. I was most definitely in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp and only really began to believe it could happen when I saw how they played in the Gold Cup.

7 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I guess this is the sort of thing I am avoiding.  Hope to get out of the group? Sure.  Of course.  

But EXPECT to get out of the group?   Honestly, no, not really.  I just think you are setting yourself up to be disappointed about the biggest accomplishment in Canadian soccer to happen in the last 36 years.  And I think that is unfortunate.  If the team doesn’t meet those crazy-high expectations, there are a bunch of people who will view their efforts as failing- when really the bar you are setting is at best a huge stretch goal.  

I am sure lots will think that is defeatist.  And I am okay with that.  I just think there is a lot of daylight between what I hope they do and what I expect them to do - and there is nothing cowardly in acknowledging that reality.  

I'm not Brazilian. If they don't get out of the group, my life will go on just as smoothly as ever. I expect them to get out because I think they have the players and the staff to do it. If they don't, it's just a game. Life goes on. I'll be disappointed for the rest of the day but that will be the extent of the pain. It won't erase or minimize what this team has done the last 2 years.

14 hours ago, Ally McCoist said:

I'm pretty sure I said the exact same thing in:

2000 after coming off a Gold Cup win
2004 with that stacked team
2008 after losing a heartbreaker to the US in the Gold Cup with the Gerba-De Rosario-De Guzman trio clicking
2012 when we only need a draw in Honduras to make the hex
2015 up until we tied El Salvador.

17 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Of course you go for it.  I never said otherwise.  And I hope we do awesome in every single game and exceed expectations.  

But do I expect us to win?  Honestly, I don’t have a ton of optimism.   Belgium is #2 in the world.  You can hope we win while recognizing that it will be an absolutely Herculean task to get results in this group.  Croatia is 15th and as much as people can talk about Modric’s age, the fact remains that he is still an absolutely vital and effective player for the current Champions League title holders.  Morocco is our best shot at a result and they are ranked better and will be aggressively prepping for these matches at least as rigorously as we have been.   

If we end up getting 1 point in the entire group stage with, say, two losses and  a draw against Morocco, I am still not going to look at this overall WC as a failure.  Sure it will be disappointing not to pull some big shock upset, but the reality is that we are very much expected to finish last in our group.   Not  overachieving will not diminish what I feel has been an amazing World Cup cycle. 

Which concacaf would you have preferred?

With the argies and Lewandowski?

With wales Iran and the English ?

Or with Germany jap spain?

I wonder if England would ever knocking... Southgate seems to not be the man for the job, and I'm not sure if they have many strong candidates now that Potter has gone to Chelsea. Hopefully this doesn't happen, but you would have to think that the England job would be one that could pry him away from Canada.

On 9/19/2022 at 5:28 PM, Ally McCoist said:

Thats exactly what I thought going into this WCQ.  I have never had the same sense of optimism in 2016 or 2012.  I still went to WCQ games.   

On 9/20/2022 at 8:13 AM, El Hombre said:

I'm pretty sure I said the exact same thing in:

2000 after coming off a Gold Cup win
2004 with that stacked team
2008 after losing a heartbreaker to the US in the Gold Cup with the Gerba-De Rosario-De Guzman trio clicking
2012 when we only need a draw in Honduras to make the hex
2015 up until we tied El Salvador.

Not for me. Was I confident?

2000: Yes.  We had just won the Gold Cup about 8 months earlier

2004:  Yes.   Because I thought that 2000 was the result of bad break in the qualifying schedule.  Plus i thought that the team was better than 2000.

2008:  Yes.  still somewhat optimistic from the fact that 2004 might have been different were it not for refereeing work of Benito Archundia.  

2012:  50-50.  Was starting to get to face the reality that maybe we dont have the horses but thought that we had a few more players at higher levels and that might help but I knew that those players werent much better than previously.  was just really hoping to get to the hex.

2015:  No.  I was not shy to say so and very many people here (from what i read at the time) were saying the same thing.  We just didn't have the players.  Specially to provide service to the Fwds.  The coach was an idiot, and it was obvious from the beginning.  I still went to see the WCQ in Vancouver but there were games in that WCQ cycle that I actually forgot (or didn't bother) to watch.   Such was my level of my pessimism in 2015

2020 was different.  Especially with what Buchanan was able to accomplish in the Olympic qualifying and at the Gold Cup and knowing what could happen if he was added to Alphonso Davies.  But honnestly, I did not expect to finish first in WCQ.   I really believed in 2020-21 that there was a real chance at nabbing that 4th spot.

Edited by Free kick