Herdman new head coach

matty

4 hours ago, red card said:

Finance Football released salaries (not all confirmed) of managers in this year's World Cup.

Herdman is 26th making 480k euros (C$633k). Only more than Wales, Costa Rica and 4 CAF nations but not Morocco. Most expensive manager Canada will face at World Cup is Martinez who makes 1.2 million euros.

Mexico tops Concacaf with Tata making 2.9 million euros. Flick is highest paid at 6.5 million euros. 

Note euro is today basically on par with the US$.

https://financefootball.com/2022/07/04/best-paid-head-coaches-in-2022-fifa-world-cup/

Thanks. 

Didn't someone here post how the Canadian coaching team cost a million CDN? Or similar? As that would possibly make sense, though I am not sure how many are full and how many part time hirings.

I was going to full in ( Holmes, Mitrovic et all) but will pass this time 

I did shake his hand and told him such a thrill we are going to WC

Told him that I am going my son too- he asked which games attending; said our 3 and 2 Serbia games 

he said I must like Borjan- said of course as he and I were both raised in the Hammer 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not fair to the author, ethical or even necessary to copy and paste all that. Alex doesn't deserve it and neither does OneSoccer, @Joe MacCarthy

Edit: thanks, link below

https://onesoccer.ca/a/big-read-as-world-cup-nears-john-herdman-is-ready-for-the-canmnt-to-shock-the-world-again

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Just throwing this out here as I was having a conversation with my buddy here in Montreal and intrigued me. 

Hoping we have Heardman until 2026 of course 🙏

But in the potential candidates for future, I have a big vote for Wilfred Nancy...has his name ever been mentioned in canmnt circle? Checks all boxes for me:

1) knows how to build chemistry. 

2) has brought players to achieve that next level (except Ballou Tabla, but that's another story in itself)

3) he has brought players off radar of national teams into picture: Waterman, Djordje (USMNT)

And I could go on and on. 

1 minute ago, Joe1973 said:

Just throwing this out here as I was having a conversation with my buddy here in Montreal and intrigued me. 

But in the potential candidates for future, I have a big vote for Wilfred Nancy...has his name ever been mentioned in canmnt circle? Checks all boxes for me:

2) has brought players to achieve that next level (except Ballou Tabla, but that's another story in itself)

3) he has brought players off radar of national teams into picture: Waterman, Djordje (USMNT)

I'm a big fan of Nancy but I think there's a huge crack in his teams' armour. They play flawed defense. Maybe by the time 2026 rolls around he'll improve that part of his managing.

Just now, Sal333 said:

I'm a big fan of Nancy but I think there's a huge crack in his teams' armour. They play flawed defense. Maybe by the time 2026 rolls around he'll improve that part of his managing.

I think there were some tactical flaws earlier this season, especially related to turnovers when playing out of the back. There's still the occasional hiccup, but I think the biggest remaining defensive issues with the team are personnel-related: the keepers (Breza and Pantemis) and Camacho simply aren't very good.

54 minutes ago, Joe1973 said:

For me the front runner would be Ancelotti.   I think he could be coaxed out of retirement for a national team gig and he had strong Canada ties.  

Not in any way ushering Herdman out, but it is always good to think about contingency plans.  

5 hours ago, jonovision said:

I think there were some tactical flaws earlier this season, especially related to turnovers when playing out of the back. There's still the occasional hiccup, but I think the biggest remaining defensive issues with the team are personnel-related: the keepers (Breza and Pantemis) and Camacho simply aren't very good.

Contrary to popular opinionI think CFM's keepers are fine. They just can't distribute the ball very wee but when it comes to ball stopping they're good enough.

On 7/22/2022 at 10:33 PM, Strait Red said:

Ask him about Tom Holmes!

From an irish football forum they are discussing Maddison declaring for Eire.

Check this on the Ecuador conflict with Chile on the eligibility of that supposed colombian dude.

From FiFa

"any person holding the nationality of a country is eligible to play for the representative teams of the association of his country.  The executive comitee shall decide on the conditions of eligibility for any footballer.  Player who assumes a new nationality and for whom par 3 of this article doesn't apply, or for any player who would in principle be eligible to play for the teams more than one association due to his nationality". Article 15 part1

6 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

For me the front runner would be Ancelotti.   I think he could be coaxed out of retirement for a national team gig and he had strong Canada ties.  

Not in any way ushering Herdman out, but it is always good to think about contingency plans.  

I have the over-under at about 3 months before Ancelotti (or any coach with that pedigree) gets fed up with the CSA bureaucracy/incompetence and quits.

7 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I have the over-under at about 3 months before Ancelotti (or any coach with that pedigree) gets fed up with the CSA bureaucracy/incompetence and quits.

💯

Herdman has mostly only known scratching and clawing in fairly bush league environments. Even so, I imagine his patience and tolerance to continue doing so is close to hanging by a thread. It’s his personal dream or narrative paired with his footballing history with this country that counteracts the BS he deals with. 

What’s 65+ year old (by then) retired Ancelotti’s drive or motivation to put up with any crap to muster up the energy and a few bucks to have a camp in Florida to prepare for some Nation’s League qualifier against Grenada???

I think the idea of Ancelotti managing Canada is crazy tbh and I don’t think 1) he would actually do it 2) it would last beyond an incredibly short tour of duty like say a single GC 3) it would be a good idea from a budgetary standpoint. 

Edited by grigorio

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

I'm not sure you are aware, Ancelloti is from a country called Italy where the bureaucracy can inure you to pretty well any other bureaucracy in the world. 

I think he'd like to remain part of football and live in his wife's home town. There are only two ways to do it, and one would probably cause him to burst a few vital organs in a few weeks; the other is the national teach coaching job.

Yes, I am saying that working for the CSA is likely better than working for the Caps.

He is probably even surprised you can be Canada's national coach and not live near the CSA offices. I also think that is good, the national coach lives where he wants. 

I'm not a Real Madrid fan but Carlo is a very calm guy, he's respectful, and has an approach that is not overly hands on. He lets the players figure it out, also he is skilled at handling bigger egos and major talents on a strong team.

Just the opposite of Herdman, but think about it; we need the Herdman approach now because otherwise we have too many flaws. He helps cover them. And Herdman talks all the time about getting over a hump. So if you had Ancelloti as the coach of that group of players who were all mature and talented enough to take full responsibility on the pitch. I think it could work.

6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm not sure you are aware, Ancelloti is from a country called Italy where the bureaucracy can inure you to pretty well any other bureaucracy in the world. 

I think he'd like to remain part of football and live in his wife's home town. There are only two ways to do it, and one would probably cause him to burst a few vital organs in a few weeks; the other is the national teach coaching job.

Yes, I am saying that working for the CSA is likely better than working for the Caps.

He is probably even surprised you can be Canada's national coach and not live near the CSA offices. I also think that is good, the national coach lives where he wants. 

I'm not a Real Madrid fan but Carlo is a very calm guy, he's respectful, and has an approach that is not overly hands on. He lets the players figure it out, also he is skilled at handling bigger egos and major talents on a strong team.

Just the opposite of Herdman, but think about it; we need the Herdman approach now because otherwise we have too many flaws. He helps cover them. And Herdman talks all the time about getting over a hump. So if you had Ancelloti as the coach of that group of players who were all mature and talented enough to take full responsibility on the pitch. I think it could work.

Yeah, so piss off @El Hombre 

Confession: I have had roughly 9 or 10 beer while cleaning the basement today so my powers of intellect are mildly compromised.  

And for the record, I love all you quirky assholes.  

(but seriously - I think Ancelotti could coach our team to a pretty goddamn good result in 2026.  But screw @El Hombre

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, so piss off @El Hombre 

Confession: I have had roughly 9 or 10 beer while cleaning the basement today so my powers of intellect are mildly compromised.  

And for the record, I love all you quirky assholes.  

(but seriously - I think Ancelotti could coach our team to a pretty goddamn good result in 2026.  But screw @El Hombre

I was surprised you didn't want Nagelsmann from your precious, precious Bayern to coach the national team.

You sicken me.