Herdman new head coach

matty

When he says he's trying to get the MNT to be the hunter not the hunted, he didn't expect that to flow over into financials. 

Have to say: by raising gender equity it's clear that has backfired on the men and that the individual takes from Qatar will now be lower than if they'd kept negotiating in private. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

has backfired on the men... 

…unless part of their goal was, I don’t know, actually fighting for pay equity as opposed to just getting what they can and screw anyone else. 

I have a theory that they were just oblivious to the implications of how they went about it, given that they are largely young men in their 20s. Probably there was a triggering offer or situation that riled a bunch of them. They started discussing how they would fight it. They asked or mused about whether the women are treated the same way. They are likely aware of the USWNTs fight and victory in the courts. They decide to make an ask that floats all boats. Being young and inexperienced in such things (yes, even Atiba in this case) they put out a statement that they wrote themselves without discussing it with the CanWNT, not realizing that chivalry does not equal respect and that the WNT weren’t going to cheer them for championing equal percentages on their behalf. 

Edited by shorty

Anybody listen John's interview at end of game? Caught a subtle jab and disappointilment at Vancouver fans. He said that it was unfortunate of course regarding the whole cancelation debacle, BUT this game had trouble selling even 2 weeks ago before all this trouble. 

I like that about him. We could blame CSA, we could blame players, but fans have also take that on their shoulders because this game was not selling either way. Yes I understand that the game on Sunday would have driven up sales numbers though. 

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

He looked old ….  Like stressed and tired. For the first time I have seen him. He didn’t have that look - that youthful self

I really noticed that in the post game interview a little moreso than the earlier one, especially when he should have been somewhat relieved and happy.  In both he seemed to have lost some of his usual zip.  Maybe that comes from being placed in the middle of the problem and having to placate both sides.

3 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I bet he’s finally done with the BS of the CSA. I put my money on he’s definitely done after this World Cup 

As always, it depends on what else is available, but I would agree that our latest fiasco may linger in the back of his mind. 

However, to put a more optimistic spin on it, the quicker it gets resolved and the more time passes afterwards, the less likely it factors in. If Canada overachieves on the field at the world cup, and these off field issues are history, it will be good vibes all around and the whole debacle will simply be a footnote, alongside the cancelled covid camp, the qualifying "home" game in Chicago, etc. All part of the journey. 

8 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Cripes he has worked for the CSA for 11 years..he has to be assimilated by now.  And remember he re upped, he could have left but chose to stay after putting in 7years with the women.  

But he didn’t have option before. No mens program or club team would have hired him at a high level after the womens team, sorry to say.

3 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Nobody twisted his arm to stay, and that was after 7 years of CSA shennanigans.  

Well he saw the talent coming for the mens and pushed Oz who was on his last legs. Now herdman is gonna have tons of options- CPL, MLS, Europe 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finance Football released salaries (not all confirmed) of managers in this year's World Cup.

Herdman is 26th making 480k euros (C$633k). Only more than Wales, Costa Rica and 4 CAF nations but not Morocco. Most expensive manager Canada will face at World Cup is Martinez who makes 1.2 million euros.

Mexico tops Concacaf with Tata making 2.9 million euros. Flick is highest paid at 6.5 million euros. 

Note euro is today basically on par with the US$.

https://financefootball.com/2022/07/04/best-paid-head-coaches-in-2022-fifa-world-cup/

Edited by red card

7 minutes ago, red card said:

Finance Football released salaries (not all confirmed) of managers in this year's World Cup.

Herdman is 26th making 480k euros (C$633k). Only more than Wales, Costa Rica and 4 CAF nations but not Morocco. Most expensive manager Canada will face at World Cup is Martinez who makes 1.2 million euros.

Mexico tops Concacaf with Tata making 2.9 million euros. Flick is highest paid at 6.5 million euros. 

Note euro is today basically on par with the US$.

https://financefootball.com/2022/07/04/best-paid-head-coaches-in-2022-fifa-world-cup/

I honestly thought it would be less. A country that had gone without a spot in the World Cup in over 35+ years, wouldn’t have  been luring any big name, pricey coaches. Now that has changed.

I wonder if Herdman has any bonus structures set in his contract (through 2026 right?) or opt out ability or even an automatic raise.