Herdman new head coach

matty

32 minutes ago, RS said:

It depends on who you're talking about.

FIFA likely just wants this to go away as too much scrutiny could uncover more spying given how widespread it is. We've already got Didier Drogba and Tyler Adams both saying that everyone does it, which in itself is not a great look for FIFA.

They likely thought the -6 points would be fatal to the Canadian women in Paris and would neatly wrap everything up without further compromising the tournament, but they didn't anticipate Canada winning all three matches.

As for Canada Soccer, we'll see. They haven't punished "the women" (or anyone else yet, really) so it remains to be seen what comes of the investigation. It'll be really hard to come down on Herdman without FIFA getting involved, IMO.

I agree that FIFA wants this to go away. The quickest/cleanest way to do that would be to punish Herdman. I don’t see how it would open up anything else if they did and I can’t see how an investigation gets opened into the men’s side of things with no consequence. They need to wrap this all up with a facade of fairness. Punishing Herdman achieves basically every goal they would have here. No punishment to a WC host, just blame it on a former coach. Seems right up FIFA’s alley. 

1 hour ago, El Diego said:

The final paragraph of the FIFA Appeal Committe decision:

"75. As a final note, the Chairperson wished to remark that this decision relates only to the drone incidents that occurred at the OFT. As the Chairperson understands it, the CSA is conducting its own broader investigation into spying. In this respect, the Chairperson expects the CSA to provide FIFA with the results of said investigation in order for it to be able to assess and decide whether further action by the FIFA bodies is necessary and appropriate."

The bolding and underlining of the word only was in the decision itself, it is the only word in the decision to have such special treatment. I am not as confident as you and @RS that FIFA wants and will allow this to blow over -- they could have simply fined the CSA and I don't think anyone would have said Canada got off easy. Instead, they gave them -6 points, which is as close to disqualifying a team as you can get without actually doing it (they don't know bout our women though).

Thanks for this quote - it's very instructive.  However, I do think it basically confirms what I was speculating - i.e. I'm quite sure FIFA would rather not have to step in again, but regardless, they may well do so if the CSA's investigation uncovers more evidence of wrongdoing.  That said, I agree we don't know for sure whether the FIFA disciplinarians are sitting there with axes raised eager to abscise Herdman, Biello, Eaddy, Tenllado, Dodgsho, Gayle and anyone else connected with past violations, or whether they're sincerely hoping not to get drawn into the muck-raking.  I think the latter, but I could be wrong.

I say that the Court of Appeal, Fifa and the CSA should get on with times.  Present day technology is so varied and resourceful that pretending there should be no spying is burying their heads in the sand.  Far more important is to worry about the use of illegal players, injuries, referees, the VAR, control access to stadiums, just to name a few.  Even holding practices in covered stadiums can't stop someone watching the practice or looking at the on-site cameras in the stadium.

15 minutes ago, The Ref said:

I say that the Court of Appeal, Fifa and the CSA should get on with times.  Present day technology is so varied and resourceful that pretending there should be no spying is burying their heads in the sand.  Far more important is to worry about the use of illegal players, injuries, referees, the VAR, control access to stadiums, just to name a few.  Even holding practices in covered stadiums can't stop someone watching the practice or looking at the on-site cameras in the stadium.

Maybe FIFA could pass on some tips for not getting caught, or what I mean is, tips for legitimate surveillance of opponents, if any, and that's that.

Not looking forward to the Canadian-based mud-slinging that's about to seriously ramp up again.  "Hey...did the players ever get paid?  And now their coaches are cheatin'?  Boooo!  I blame the PM!!"

Not sure if it's been said yet, but listening to the Footy Prime episode with Westhead, one of the names that Forrest mentioned who could potentially be worried is DeVos. It got me thinking about current coaching staff. I'd hate to hear Stalteri or Biello had anything to do with this. To be clear, I'm not saying they did. But I wonder. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

24 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Not sure if it's been said yet, but listening to the Footy Prime episode with Westhead, one of the names that Forrest mentioned who could potentially be worried is DeVos. It got me thinking about current coaching staff. I'd hate to hear Stalteri or Biello had anything to do with this. To be clear, I'm not saying they did. But I wonder. 

I think Stalteri was at TFC when Herdman was Canada coach wasn’t he? Hard to imagine Biello wouldn’t at least have knowledge of it. He’d be involved in the scouting and gameplan presumably.

11 minutes ago, archer21 said:

I think Stalteri was at TFC when Herdman was Canada coach wasn’t he? Hard to imagine Biello wouldn’t at least have knowledge of it. He’d be involved in the scouting and gameplan presumably.

I believe you are right. From what I'm reading, Herdman departed in late summer 2023 and Stalteri joined the CMNT coaching staff in October. Still, if Biello was doing it, Stalteri would have been there for that. Again, I have no evidence to suggest these guys have done anything wrong. Will see what the investigation reveals.   

I would hate to see all the assistant coaches go down by association.  This isnt something an assistant would do on his own.  And if you black ball everyone that was involved in the program for the last 5-10 years...iieeeeeeeee.  Whats the law term, poisoned fruit from the poison tree???  

• 3 weeks later...