Herdman new head coach

matty

8 hours ago, Kadenge said:

He's already planning  his next gig  :)

Knowing TFC thats prob a good idea.  But seriously, he takes the time to whitewash his part in the shortcomings since WCQ. I wont call them a failure because I really think 3 losses at the WC had a very high probability of happening.  The players are self centered, they switched off and He had personal problems that no one would ever dare to speak out against. So look at me I am still the messiah I was at the end of WCQ, give me all the latitude in the world. 

He isnt buttering up TFC, but he is insulating himself from poor performances and not really addressing any role he might have had.  Which is fine, ok sure thats the kind of guy you are, but the next group of players you expect to swallow the  "bleed for the shirt" speech to will remember how you acted after you ran out on your last 2 jobs to grab something bigger and better..a step up the rung for you without a lot of "we" be involved in it.  

• 7 months later...

Everyone's favourite has a new article:

https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/canada-s-men-s-and-women-s-soccer-teams-have-relied-on-drones-and-spying-for-years-sources-say-1.2153674

I suspect this is hot in the WNT thread given Priestman was just sent home, but it looks like Herdman is getting dragged into it too.  Where there's smoke there's fire?  Or is this a case of where there's fire there's fire?  

Edit: I see all the action is in the other thread👍

Edited by RJB

Priestman was Herdman's assistant. They are both from the same town in northern England originally. If wikipedia is to be believed she has interacted with John Herdman through soccer since she was 12 years old. The implications of what inside sources have been telling Rick Westhead is that the culture of sending drones over the opponent's practice sessions is something that likely started with Herdman in his CWNT days and then became SOP for both senior national team programs once he moved to the CMNT. If that turns out to be the case, they will both probably have to be banned from future involvement with the sport in Canada by the CSA and all the people who played along with what was happening without blowing the whistle will have to be let go by the CSA.

That video from a few years ago where Herdman is like “I would imagine many Canadians like to fly drones” now reads like him just straight up admitting to it.

Sad thing is, the idea that we’re just doing what everyone does is probably true- we were just so bad at it we got caught like 4 times. Humiliating. Blue should cut Priestman completely. Let’s move past the Consett era of Canadian soccer and move on.

46 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

That video from a few years ago where Herdman is like “I would imagine many Canadians like to fly drones” now reads like him just straight up admitting to it.

Sad thing is, the idea that we’re just doing what everyone does is probably true- we were just so bad at it we got caught like 4 times. Humiliating. Blue should cut Priestman completely. Let’s move past the Consett era of Canadian soccer and move on.

It's one thing to do it at home in Canada in the lead up to a match, it's another thing to do it at the Olympics in Paris where there is a no fly zone, thousands of cameras and heightened security. Equals parts unsporting, equal parts dumb. 

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Priestman was Herdman's assistant. They are both from the same town in northern England originally. If wikipedia is to be believed she has interacted with John Herdman through soccer since she was 12 years old. The implications of what inside sources have been telling Rick Westhead is that the culture of sending drones over the opponent's practice sessions is something that likely started with Herdman in his CWNT days and then became SOP for both senior national team programs once he moved to the CMNT. If that turns out to be the case, they will both probably have to be banned from future involvement with the sport in Canada by the CSA and all the people who played along with what was happening without blowing the whistle will have to be let go by the CSA.

I reject this completely. Why would we do that to ourselves? To protect the image and narrative that Canada is still the land of fairness? What exactly would we be accomplishing with that?

4 hours ago, king1010 said:

It's one thing to do it at home in Canada in the lead up to a match, it's another thing to do it at the Olympics in Paris where there is a no fly zone, thousands of cameras and heightened security. Equals parts unsporting, equal parts dumb. 

This 100%. I get it. To do something like this during an olympics is just stupid. I don't understand how you think you will not get caught with so much security and security in your face.   

1 hour ago, Vasi said:

This 100%. I get it. To do something like this during an olympics is just stupid. I don't understand how you think you will not get caught with so much security and security in your face.   

It was in St. Etienne, not Paris, so probably a little more casual on the appearance of security. 

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

I reject this completely. Why would we do that to ourselves? To protect the image and narrative that Canada is still the land of fairness? What exactly would we be accomplishing with that?

What is the point of national teams beyond representing the country, giving it soft power in the broader world and create good feelings at home? Like, obviously I care about the national teams beyond that but objectively speaking if we have to chose between a move protecting those things and a move that would be best in term of results on the pitch there is only one choice to make...

41 minutes ago, Soro17 said:

It was in St. Etienne, not Paris, so probably a little more casual on the appearance of security. 

I doubt it. All of France is under lockdown. 

Also, flying a drone is illegal in France. The airspace is under lockdown. 

What a moron!

Edited by Vasi

1 hour ago, Ivan said:

I can't believe it, but Herdman is actually fucking dumber than I already thought he was.  If he wasn't going to be fired before, he may have sealed his fate.

He’s actually an incredible con artist. He said it didn’t happen in Olympics or during World Cups… which may be true. Didn’t deny drone usage. 

Honestly we are so incredibly lucky he left for TFC and we wound up with Marsch. I’ll gladly trade all the nonsense of the past year for that and what we accomplished this summer. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Better question: why is our media want to make our national teams look bad?

My guess and top 2 reasons:

- Because of CSA's repeated lack of transparency throughout the years.

- An effort to tarnish everyone that was part of that toxicity (contracts, failures, etc...)

I don't feel anyone is trying to harm Blue and Marsch here, but I do feel they're trying to make life really hard for Bontis, Herdman and the other incompetent jerks.