Herdman new head coach

matty

If the CSA doesn't make any money, i.e. fails to arrange any friendlies, or ensures that our national teams don't win any prize money, does the CSA continue to receive whatever the agreed amount is from CSB?

Perhaps this accounts for the poor recent results by our national teams, and why no international friendlies are scheduled for the remainder of the year. Just collect the CSB money and don't incur any expenses. That's one way to get out of a bad deal. Damn that deVos is smart like a fox. He must be half Dutch.

Edited by MrR

Think he is fully Dutch ancestrally. From way out in the boonies in Glencoe but from what I remember his father played for a team called the Dutch Lions in London back in the day, but it's been a while since I was actively looking into that sort of thing. Think part of the problem may be that the expenses the CSA incurs through having to play in things like the CONCACAF Nations League have thrown off the math that made the guaranteed fee that was agreed to with CSB work from the CSA's standpoint because the emergence of the UEFA Nations League has made low budget friendlies over in Europe a lot more difficult to arrange. 

I guess what I'm struggling with is the fact that countries like; Australia, Iran, Japan, Jordan, Mexico, South Korea, Thailand and the United States have managed to arrange friendlies in Europe in September and October. I mean, is the CSA, which is preparing to co-host the World Cup 3 years from now, in worse financial shape than the Thailand Football Association?

Is it that hard for the CSA to arrange ONE international friendly a year in Europe? I can't imagine that with a sizeable contingent of the CMNT playing in Europe, that the cost of sending an additional 10 players from North America would bankrupt the CSA.

Like what is Herdman going to be doing in September and October?

Edited by MrR

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Shway said:

Would be interesting to see how he would do. 
Would be interesting to see who we could replace him with under a shoe-string budget. 

I'm sure he probably asked about the possibility of coaching two teams. 

I mean coaching the CMNT is a part time job at this point. 

Will be busy for a week in October. 

Im being sarcastic....and am lamenting the fact we can only pay for one fing game in Sept and Oct. ....however....I don't thing that my sarcastic comment is farr from being true. 😬

Edited by Vasi

7 minutes ago, Vasi said:

I mean coaching the CMNT is a part time job at this point. 

Will be busy for a week in October. 

Im being sarcastic....and am lamenting the fact we can only pay for one fing game in Sept and Oct. ....however....I don't thing that my sarcastic comment is farr from being true. 😬

Nick Nurse did the Raptors and the Canadian Basketball Team at the same time and we probably play about the same as them these days

39 minutes ago, narduch said:

Considering MLS doesn't break for every international window it  probably isn't feasible to allow him to do both

That's what makes it all the more CSAish...

We've listened to TFCs request that they can't part with Herdman for this window.  Herdman has also indicated that TFC needs Osorio for their upcoming matches as they attempt to avoid the wooden spoon.  Christian Guiterez however has been made available.  Olivieri will be the interim coach national team. 

3 hours ago, An Observer said:

Nick Nurse did the Raptors and the Canadian Basketball Team at the same time and we probably play about the same as them these days

True. But that is common in basketball. 

Does anyone know of any cases in football? 

26 minutes ago, Vasi said:

Probably not what you were looking for, but it was mentioned by one of the commentators that Randy Waldrum, the Nigerian Women's NT coach is also the coach at some American University.  Obviously, the schedule for NCAA doesn't compare to a professional team...

44 minutes ago, Vasi said:

Ferguson did it with Aberdeen and Scotland. Was early 80s at least.

Was Guus Hiddik Chelsea and Russia at the same time? I vaguely remember something about Arshavin being managed by him for both. If so that was more recent.

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

John Herdman coaching TFC and the CMNT at the same time would be a complete non-starter given the way MLS plays through international windows.

Yeah, no chance he could do both and that could be why the talks were only "informal" with Herdman whereas Bobby and Robbo had formal interviews.

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

John Herdman coaching TFC and the CMNT at the same time would be a complete non-starter given the way MLS plays through international windows.

Unless we had him as a co-manager similar to what Panama had with the Valdes brothers in 2012.

If it could financially benefit the CSA on the men’s side then it could be viable but other than that, probably not attractive to us. 

14 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

He'd be kinda nuts to take that job imo...

Unless he was basically the coach and manager and had total autonomy of choosing players.

There would also be a good chance the team keeps on being horrible and he gets fired. To make TFC good again it is going to take a lot of work rebuilding the entire roster.