General discussion on CWNT

Rheo

• 1 month later...
On 4/23/2024 at 10:44 PM, Pomoxis said:

Any guesses as to who they might play in the mid-July window? USA are hosting Costa Rica and Mexico.  European teams have Euro 2025 qualifiers in that window.

I suspect they'll play one match vs one of the other teams at the Olympics, but not in our group.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
20 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

What are people's guesses as to when Priestman officially gets the sack?

Right after the probe.  The comments from the players in the CBC article were quite damning, with Viens saying she won't play again unless there are changes. The most unbelievable part was one player said the team met with the RCMP prior to leaving for Paris and they specifically said, don't fly drones in France!!!

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Are we going to get an interim manager though?

I can't see how the rest of Bev's team aren't also implicated in this.

I would like to see again that Spence interview for CBC prior to the France game where he said that he did not condone the drone stuff, or words to that effect.

On 8/7/2024 at 7:55 AM, narduch said:

Are we going to get an interim manager though?

I can't see how the rest of Bev's team aren't also implicated in this.

With the CSA anything can be expected.

18 hours ago, narduch said:

Up to 6th in the FIFA rankings

We are up two spots, but England gains a spot without participating even. Germany gets to semis and wins bronze, beats Spain in regulation time, gains hardly any ranking points.

We had the biggest point gain after the US.

The system probably needs a bit of a revamp, too much just does not make sense. France drops 8 spots. 

https://inside.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/women

I seem to recall that we didn't gain much during the previous Olympics, mostly because of the games decided by penalties.  Likewise, I guess Germany did not gain much in their win over us.  France's drop is shocking, though.  I thought there was a lot more inertia built into the system.

On 8/17/2024 at 7:53 AM, rkomar said:

I seem to recall that we didn't gain much during the previous Olympics, mostly because of the games decided by penalties.  Likewise, I guess Germany did not gain much in their win over us.  France's drop is shocking, though.  I thought there was a lot more inertia built into the system.

France had 2 narrow wins against teams much lower than them and 2 losses. All while playing at home. Their current #10 ranking is probably about right. 

Inaugural u17 & u15 PDP Championship was held last week in Edmonton. Only teams who qualified  in 4 provinces via BC Soccer Premier League, Alberta Player Development League, Ontario Player-Development League, and Première Ligue de Soccer Juvénile du Québec were eligible.

Certain affiliated NSL teams involved but good spot to see if there were potential NSL players elsewhere.

Foothills won the PDP u17 title over AS Laval in penalties. There were no teams from Ontario.

https://canadasoccer.com/player-development-program-championship/?c=u17WomenPdpChamp

In an all-Quebec final, St-Hubert won the u15 title over AS Laval in penalties. 

https://canadasoccer.com/player-development-program-championship/?c=u15WomenPdpChamp