General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

1 hour ago, Nerf said:

I'm sure you've all discussed this in the past.  Why do we not see more CMNT matches played in Canada vs. good opponents?  Considering we have been getting good attendance against CONCACAF teams, I'm pretty sure we'd get great attendance against great teams. It seems to me to be a win-win situation. Is it just that the great teams of the world don't want to play in Canada? How would we change that?

Only Canada could be announced as a World Cup host and remain playing small teams.  

Who is the last reputable opponent we hosted (in a friendly)?  Peru in 2010 (not a big teams even).. and before then?  It’s crazy to see even small concacaf nations bring in big teams and yet here we are, one of the most multicultural countries on earth not hosting friendlies!  That should be seen as $$$ for the CSA.. at least cash in. 

56 minutes ago, Nerf said:

I'm sure you've all discussed this in the past.  Why do we not see more CMNT matches played in Canada vs. good opponents?  Considering we have been getting good attendance against CONCACAF teams, I'm pretty sure we'd get great attendance against great teams. It seems to me to be a win-win situation. Is it just that the great teams of the world don't want to play in Canada? How would we change that?

As the official Defendor of the CSA(tm) around here, I have a totally unproven, untested hypothesis:

Generally the official match days are: late March, early June, early September, early October and mid November.  In most of Canada, three of those periods are pretty rough going and I don't think many high-caliber teams are interested in playing in potentially inclement weather.  Especially teams from warmer climates like Argentina, Brazil etc.

That leaves only two matchdays: September and June.  Every two years we are in the Gold Cup in June and in those years that we aren't the World Cup and the Euro are being played.  This severely limits our potential opposition for that time period.

The other issue we face is that the high-caliber teams most likely don't see any value in playing us.  Yes, Brazil played El Salvador, but that was lucrative for them, financially speaking.  They were also able to line up a second game that was only a LaGuardia to Dulles flight away.  To play in Canada, we would have to arrange a second game for them that is an easy commute away and guarantee a gate that would be next to impossible. 

Also, Brazil and Argentina are the only big teams that really travel.  Teams like Germany, England, Spain and France play most of their games at home, or at least nearby.  None are really clamouring to travel across the Atlantic to play a team like us.

Put all that together and that is why we don't play any games at home.

4 hours ago, El Hombre said:

As the official Defendor of the CSA(tm) around here, I have a totally unproven, untested hypothesis:

Generally the official match days are: late March, early June, early September, early October and mid November.  In most of Canada, three of those periods are pretty rough going and I don't think many high-caliber teams are interested in playing in potentially inclement weather.  Especially teams from warmer climates like Argentina, Brazil etc.

That leaves only two matchdays: September and June.  Every two years we are in the Gold Cup in June and in those years that we aren't the World Cup and the Euro are being played.  This severely limits our potential opposition for that time period.

The other issue we face is that the high-caliber teams most likely don't see any value in playing us.  Yes, Brazil played El Salvador, but that was lucrative for them, financially speaking.  They were also able to line up a second game that was only a LaGuardia to Dulles flight away.  To play in Canada, we would have to arrange a second game for them that is an easy commute away and guarantee a gate that would be next to impossible. 

Also, Brazil and Argentina are the only big teams that really travel.  Teams like Germany, England, Spain and France play most of their games at home, or at least nearby.  None are really clamouring to travel across the Atlantic to play a team like us.

Put all that together and that is why we don't play any games at home.

Just to add to your point:
France friendlies outside of Europe in the past 20 years: Brazil+Uruguay (June 2013)
Tunisia+ Reunion (vs China) (May-June 2010)
Martinique (vs Costa Rica)  (2005) 
Tunisia (August 2002)
South Korea (May 2002)
Australia ( November 2001)
Chile (September 2001)
Morocco (2 matches in June 2000)

Tunisia and Morocco shouldn't be even considered like outside since it's pretty close and it's a quick flight from Roissy-Charles-de-Gaulle. Two matches were in French Departments. A lot of matches were considered as prep for WC. (2013 a year before the World Cup) (in 2010, Reunion before going to South Africa because it's pretty close) (Australia because you want to give an idea to the players on the time it will be in Japan/South Korea)

The only match that isn't like that would be Chile, but France didn't have to qualify in 2002, so they wanted to just find a good opponent to play. And it's possible that all the good European teams had WCQ to play.

England: 

Brazil: June 2013
US: May 2005 (2 matches including 1 vs Colombia)
South Korea + Japan ( vs Cameroon): May 2002

The US matches are interesting, but it was also in May when the season was over. 

I know what would work. CSA should play more home matches, but should let the visting FA pay for it. After all, that's how we make money, right? 

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Anyone knows what this means? 

I would assume that it applies to the integration of CSA programming in MLS academies. I believe that in the women's EXCEL all centres use CSA "curriculum", to use a school analogy. The clubs are just facilitating the program written up by the CSA. Up until now, in the men's MLS academies, the individual club controls the "curriculum". But now, the "curriculum" will be centralized under the CSA philosophies and methods, alongside the programming of the club. More info can be found here: https://www.canadasoccer.com/-canada-men-s-excel-program-s16797

2 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

So with BT in do we play a 3-4-3 vs Dominica?

Borjan

Cornelius - Henry - De Jong

Junior - Arfield - Osorio - Davies

Tabla - Cav - David

I think it pretty much guarantees that we play the same formation as last match but with Tabla instead of Millar.  

Article on the mlswebsite which highlights Osorio & Piette in the title but then discusses a ton of other players (including a rare MLS website mention of the existence of Cavallini), with new quotes from Herdman (who admits he's come in at a very fortunate time):

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/09/24/herdman-tabs-osorio-piette-critical-future-success-canada

And this article was posted today but obviously written before the Tabla news.

On 9/20/2018 at 9:19 PM, RS said:

It means someone messed up and forgot to include a URL in that tweet.

I think all you have to do is post the link to the Tweet in this sites editor. 

It probably wipes out the embed code from Twitter. 

So just use the URL

1 minute ago, admin said:

I think all you have to do is post the link to the Tweet in this sites editor. 

It probably wipes out the embed code from Twitter. 

So just use the URL

Hmmm maybe not.

Not sure what is happening.  I was able to do it earlier. 

27 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Article on the mlswebsite which highlights Osorio & Piette in the title but then discusses a ton of other players (including a rare MLS website mention of the existence of Cavallini), with new quotes from Herdman (who admits he's come in at a very fortunate time):

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/09/24/herdman-tabs-osorio-piette-critical-future-success-canada

And this article was posted today but obviously written before the Tabla news.

It was actually posted yesterday. But yeah, it was a good read.

So just recently we have to following commits:

Alphonso Davies: eligible for Ghana; never any real concern about him not committing

Liam Millar: eligible for England; rejected call ups to England youth teams

Ballou Tabla: eligible for Ivory Coast; committed to Canada at age 19, still a very real possibility he could make the IC set up at some point

My point is, these kids were eligible for three stronger nations and committed to Canada at a young age while they certainly had interest from those other nations (tbf I've never seen anything concrete for Davies re Ghana, but come on they'd want him). Pretty incredible.

1 hour ago, El Diego said:

Alphonso Davies: eligible for Ghana; never any real concern about him not committing

Ballou Tabla: eligible for Ivory Coast; committed to Canada at age 19, still a very real possibility he could make the IC set up at some point

My point is, these kids were eligible for three stronger nations and committed to Canada at a young age while they certainly had interest from those other nations (tbf I've never seen anything concrete for Davies re Ghana, but come on they'd want him). Pretty incredible.

I’m not sure Davies was ever eligible for Ghana as he was never a citizen but born in a refugee camp (would have to check FIFA rules).. Liberia was the only for sure option.  Also let’s be real, if he played for Ghana after literally living in a camp as a baby it would be the next level of betrayal even for us.

This is cool news to have found out after long day of work. Happy to see that Tabla will play for CMNT and starting in October no less. That means he will get cap tied no way he doesn't play the game. Can't he play CAM role or is more set as a winger?

Anyways I am even more excited about CMNT next game.

Just check out this depth from M-CF! (Some players listed twice as they are versatile)

CF: Cavallini, Larin, David, Ricketts, AJH, Akindele, Hamilton

W: Hoilett, Davies, Tabla, Millar, Edwards, Akindele, Fisk, Telfer

AM: Osorio, Arfield, Tabla, Chapman

M: Arfield, Piette, MAK, Tiebert, Osorio, Wotherspoon, Fraiser

I am sure that I missed some guys like Hutch for example. It is crazy how we have guys playing in decent leagues like Wotherspoon and he isn’t a shoo-in starter, not to mention not even getting subbed in against USVI.

33 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Just check out this depth from M-CF! (Some players listed twice as they are versatile)

CF: Cavallini, Larin, David, Ricketts, AJH, Akindele, Hamilton

W: Hoilett, Davies, Tabla, Millar, Edwards, Akindele, Fisk, Telfer

AM: Osorio, Arfield, Tabla, Chapman

M: Arfield, Piette, MAK, Tiebert, Osorio, Wotherspoon, Fraiser

I am sure that I missed some guys like Hutch for example. It is crazy how we have guys playing in decent leagues like Wotherspoon and he isn’t a shoo-in starter, not to mention not even getting subbed in against USVI.

Sneaky Ben Fisk addition.

9 hours ago, El Diego said:

Ballou Tabla: eligible for Ivory Coast; committed to Canada at age 19, still a very real possibility he could make the IC set up at some point...

Did he really?... Was that England rejection confirmed by him or any legit media sources?