General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

33 minutes ago, SuperCanuck said:

I don't know if it's still the case these days, but Adidas has traditionally been a better brand to Canada.  Meaning having more of their products available and treating the Canadian market individually rather than an extension of that thing to the south of us than Puma has.  Of course the money that could be made is perhaps more crucial to Canada than for most countries' football associations, but the treatment of their consumers is also important.

Yeah you do have a point but at the same time Canada was with Adidas for the longest time but we left their sponsorship for some reason. I don't know why but if Canada leaves Umbro you would be open to them returning to Adidas?

As far as Canada itself goes; with our Men's National Team I am very interested in seeing how they do in the CONCACAF Nations League. Because like you all said before,  it helps put Canada into a position of advancement when it comes to trying to qualify for the 2019 Gold Cup and or helps with positioning when it comes to Qatar 2022 CONCACAF qualifying. If that is true then consider me very interested.

Guest Tg11

Now as far as the CMNT itself with all the young talent breaking through and the talent we already have can this CMNT be considered our golden generation of players?

5 hours ago, Tg11 said:

Now as far as the CMNT itself with all the young talent breaking through and the talent we already have can this CMNT be considered our golden generation of players?

No because until we qualify for a World Cup or get to a gold cup final we haven’t proved we’re anything different from other generations. Are we probably better than we were 10 years ago yah sure but we’re not a golden generation because we have a couple promising prospect that haven’t fully proved their world class yet. 

7 hours ago, Tg11 said:

You are one hopeful member of this site... However Canada are not headed into a golden generation and won't come for a while. That would mean CPL is in excellent health and each team are producing top talented players for the league or have gone to top Euro leagues.

Plus I gotta add you are probably the most active member with posting you are about to surpass me in post very shortly and I've been on for some time @Tg11 .

Oh CMNT are two months away from their second and third game under Herdman... exciting time right?

Edited by Scorpion26

Lets just humour TG for a minute.  Over the next 2-3 years say Davies is all that he seems..he goes on to big things in europe, same for Tabla after he commits to us, Millar grows into a EPL level striker and a few of Verhoven, Bair, David, Busti, Miller, Ruby, Kinumbe etc etc turn into solid MLS level CMNT contributors.    Would that qualify as a golden generation??  Or at least a low level CDN version??  

Guest Tg11
1 hour ago, Scorpion26 said:

You are one hopeful member of this site... However Canada are not headed into a golden generation and won't come for a while. That would mean CPL is in excellent health and each team are producing top talented players for the league or have gone to top Euro leagues.

Plus I gotta add you are probably the most active member with posting you are about to surpass me in post very shortly and I've been on for some time @Tg11 .

Oh CMNT are two months away from their second and third game under Herdman... exciting time right?

I mean this is probably the most talented depth pool as far as Canadian players coming up through the ranks that I have seen at least for quite some time

47 minutes ago, soccer.shocker said:

No. We haven’t actually accomplished anything yet. 

Obviously....neither has Belgium but they have been blabbing about the golden generation there for about 5 years.  I'm saying if 3-4 of these real promising guys pan out (Davies, Millar, David, Bair, Coyln, Busti and Tabla commit etc) in the next couple years, maybe we might be having a "golden generation" getting into the meat of qualifying in 2020/2021 and hitting their prime in 2026?    

Guest Tg11

I am glad that someone used the Belgian example and related it to Canada because it kind of does apply to Canada too in terms of the talent we have breaking through already. If our talent grow/mature and the more they play together in major tournaments like Gold Cup for example then the sky's the limit for Canada really I feel.

4 hours ago, Tg11 said:

I am glad that someone used the Belgian example and related it to Canada because it kind of does apply to Canada too in terms of the talent we have breaking through already. If our talent grow/mature and the more they play together in major tournaments like Gold Cup for example then the sky's the limit for Canada really I feel.

Belgium isn’t really a good comparison because they have some of the best players in the world while we have some who could be great but aren’t a proven yet. A better comparison is probably are neighbors to the south who have some great young prospects but it’s unsure how they’ll turn out.

15 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Lets just humour TG for a minute.  Over the next 2-3 years say Davies is all that he seems..he goes on to big things in europe, same for Tabla after he commits to us, Millar grows into a EPL level striker and a few of Verhoven, Bair, David, Busti, Miller, Ruby, Kinumbe etc etc turn into solid MLS level CMNT contributors.    Would that qualify as a golden generation??  Or at least a low level CDN version??  

18 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Are we probably better than we were 10 years ago yah sure but we’re not a golden generation because we have a couple promising prospect that haven’t fully proved their world class yet.

Since SkuseisLoose mentioned 10 years ago, let's look at our 2007 Gold Cup squad.

8 MLS players (Greg Sutton, Adam Braz, Ante Jazic, Marco Reda, Kevin Harmse, Dwayne De Rosario, Chris Pozniak), 1 EPL player (Paul Stalteri), 1 La Liga player (Julian De Guzman), 1 Denmark Superliga and Champions league player (Atiba Hutchinson).

MLS is more solid now than it was back in 2007, but what Bison44 is describing sounds like the same sort of ballpark as what we had in 2007 (and we made the semi finals of the Gold Cup then).

I agree with others saying it will come down to some accomplishments to become a golden generation. Until then it's either 1986 World Cup team or the 2000 gold medal winning Gold Cup team (doesn't seem like it gets much more golden than that :) )

Guest Tg11
6 minutes ago, Kent said:

Since SkuseisLoose mentioned 10 years ago, let's look at our 2007 Gold Cup squad.

8 MLS players (Greg Sutton, Adam Braz, Ante Jazic, Marco Reda, Kevin Harmse, Dwayne De Rosario, Chris Pozniak), 1 EPL player (Paul Stalteri), 1 La Liga player (Julian De Guzman), 1 Denmark Superliga and Champions league player (Atiba Hutchinson).

MLS is more solid now than it was back in 2007, but what Bison44 is describing sounds like the same sort of ballpark as what we had in 2007 (and we made the semi finals of the Gold Cup then).

I agree with others saying it will come down to some accomplishments to become a golden generation. Until then it's either 1986 World Cup team or the 2000 gold medal winning Gold Cup team (doesn't seem like it gets much more golden than that :) )

Yeah our current crop does compare to the great Canadian teams of the past in the sense that our player pool as far as depth is growing and is probably at its best as far as recent memory. However, our team we haven't even broke through our ceiling yet but that doesn't mean that we can't because it has potential

In 2007/2008 the depth might not have been there, but the starting XI is much better than it is currently. We had 2 premier league starters (Stalteri and Radz), the best player in Denmark (Atiba), a La Liga regular (De Guzman), 3 Bundesliga starts (Mckenna, De Jong and Friend), 4 MLS all stars (Onstad, De Rosario, Brennan, Will Johnson). Really stinks that they came up flat in 2010 qualifying (worse than we have ever done)

------------------------ Onstad

Stalteri   McKenna  Brennan  De Jong

Johnson   Atiba   De Guzman   De Rosario

-------------- Radzinsky     Friend

29 minutes ago, Tg11 said:

Yeah our current crop does compare to the great Canadian teams of the past in the sense that our player pool as far as depth is growing and is probably at its best as far as recent memory. However, our team we haven't even broke through our ceiling yet but that doesn't mean that we can't because it has potential

I wasn’t saying the current team compares to that 2007 team. I was saying that with all the ifs that Bison mentioned (Davies, Millar, Tabla and one or two others making it to top level leagues, plus of course Tabla committing to us) it would be about the same as we had 10 years ago. What Michaeltfc91 said above is also true that our bench is probably stronger now or in the near future than it was then.

Edited by Kent

Guest Tg11
18 minutes ago, michaeltfc91 said:

In 2007/2008 the depth might not have been there, but the starting XI is much better than it is currently. We had 2 premier league starters (Stalteri and Radz), the best player in Denmark (Atiba), a La Liga regular (De Guzman), 3 Bundesliga starts (Mckenna, De Jong and Friend), 4 MLS all stars (Onstad, De Rosario, Brennan, Will Johnson). Really stinks that they came up flat in 2010 qualifying (worse than we have ever done)

Yeah but with the newer generation we have a pretty nice set up with Davies, Piette, Edwards, Millar, Larin, Arfield and should Tabla join on top of that our other players we have I say Canada looks pretty good offensively as well as defensively.

Edited by Tg11
Add

Comparing these kids all roughly the same age to a complete gold cup squad isnt really what I was wondering about.  Maybe compare them to Stalteri, Hirsch, Hastings D-ro, Bernier etc....guys from the same generation.  Davies, Millar, Tabla, plus 1-2 of the others that might develop, could be the core of the national team for 10 years, multiple qualifying cycles etc.  Have we ever had a golden generation?? Not counting accomplishments as we have so few it would disqualify every generation.  

47 minutes ago, michaeltfc91 said:

You’re mistaken my friend.. everyone knows Ali G was our best striker.  De Jong didn’t play until we were eliminated and he was in the Dutch league not the bundesliga, you’re thinking Daniel imhof.  Klukowksi was our starter at LB and he was a stud - backup was Jazic.  

I believe our centre back combo was Serioux and Hastings/Hainault but I could be mistaken there.  Serioux and Hainault definitely scored against Honduras.

Edited by Keegan

Guest Tg11

I mean with the current talent we should be able to at least compete with the US or even Mexico well the top teams in CONCACAF but for some reason Canada can just never seem to get it together for some reason

We have a good crop of players coming up, but as we know, that doesn't usually translate into CMNT success.  This group needs to start playing games together, consistently.  Today, we are nothing.  We have no style, no identity, no leaders.  But that can all change quickly.

I strongly believe that if we are to get anywhere, Osorio and Cavallini must step up into leadership roles, and Herdman has to build the team around them from this fall through to next years Gold cup.  Both players have proven their ability to win and score goals in Concacaf recently, they are winners and have the kind of experience and passion that can infect and lift the entire team.  Theyre in their prime years this cycle.  One of them should be made captain.  

Guest Tg11
29 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

We have a good crop of players coming up, but as we know, that doesn't usually translate into CMNT success.  This group needs to start playing games together, consistently.  Today, we are nothing.  We have no style, no identity, no leaders.  But that can all change quickly.

I strongly believe that if we are to get anywhere, Osorio and Cavallini must step up into leadership roles, and Herdman has to build the team around them from this fall through to next years Gold cup.  Both players have proven their ability to win and score goals in Concacaf recently, they are winners and have the kind of experience and passion that can infect and lift the entire team.  Theyre in their prime years this cycle.  One of them should be made captain.  

Then I would go Osorio as captain

We can't dub the "Golden Generation" just yet. CMNT haven't done any of worth to call them a Golden Generation as posted by @BrennanFan. Unless CMNT wins 2019 Gold Cup and after 2021 and are winning against top teams in ConCaCaf plus top teams world wide (also doesn't mean every games obviously). I don't see this as a Golden Generation until it has been into history of positive results by these young players coming up. Now CMNT does have promising youngsters, but games will tell if they are "Golden Generation" and I will be expecting results in GC 19 & 21, WC in 2022, and beyond. Oh yes also several of these players are going to have to be in top teams or elite teams in Europe and being an integral part of those teams success not bench players or lower.  @Tg11 do you think this will occur over the next decade?

Guest Tg11
1 hour ago, Scorpion26 said:

We can't dub the "Golden Generation" just yet. CMNT haven't done any of worth to call them a Golden Generation as posted by @BrennanFan. Unless CMNT wins 2019 Gold Cup and after 2021 and are winning against top teams in ConCaCaf plus top teams world wide (also doesn't mean every games obviously). I don't see this as a Golden Generation until it has been into history of positive results by these young players coming up. Now CMNT does have promising youngsters, but games will tell if they are "Golden Generation" and I will be expecting results in GC 19 & 21, WC in 2022, and beyond. Oh yes also several of these players are going to have to be in top teams or elite teams in Europe and being an integral part of those teams success not bench players or lower.  @Tg11 do you think this will occur over the next decade?

I say yes it is entirely possible