General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

34 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

I think that I've just made an interesting discovery. In March, Canada Soccer registered a Hudl profile. Hudl is an online platform that allows for organizations and their athletes to "review game footage and improve team play". It also lists the list of people with access to the CMNT Hudl. At the moment it looks like the players included are from the New Zealand camp and Toulon Tournament. Here are some of my takeaways:

1. Cavallini is on the list of included players, probably suggesting that he was called up for the NZ game.

2. Will Johnson is also there, which indicates that he is still very much a part of our program.

3. This is probably the video conferencing/online component that was referenced by someone prior to the NZ camp.

This is encouraging to see that we are doing more work off of the field in order to improve our on field product. This is a very modern approach from Herdman and the staff, which is positive.

Here is a link to the Hudl: http://www.hudl.com/team/v2/320801/Mens-National-Team

Interesting that Breza, Cordova, Henry and Elva are on the list but not Hoilett.  Good find. 

11 minutes ago, RS said:

That's technically the next FIFA match date. Teams that are playing in the next couple weeks are either prepping for the World Cup or don't have many/most of their players involved in club competition until August/Sept.

The U.S. is the outlier in this regard.

People comparing us the USA is crazy.   They can pick their stadium and fill it.   That is leverage even big names in world soccer don't have cause people get pretty snotty about who they will come out to see for a friendly. 

47 minutes ago, admin said:

People comparing us the USA is crazy.   They can pick their stadium and fill it.   That is leverage even big names in world soccer don't have cause people get pretty snotty about who they will come out to see for a friendly. 

Of the six games they have officially scheduled for the rest of 2018, only one going to take place the US.

I think teams are hyper willing to play the US moreso because they view it as an opportunity to reconnect with their foreign nationals. Of the eight teams the US will play this year, only Colombia has less than 1,000,000 people with their ancestry in the US.

During the Bolivia game today, the Bolivian federation ran commercials for their jerseys on American tv in Spanish. The money is probably there.

Edited by harrycoyster

Yea it's not the best feeling as fans to see CMNT not being active with many opportunities to have plenty of games. If you read my older post I want CMNT to be playing plenty of games, but unfortunately that's not happening. Let us hope come ConCaCaf year plus with CPL coming we would hopefully see more games. Heck perhaps a deal is being made now, but if not we got until September to cheer the Reds/Rouge.... 

We can have a countdown until CMNT plays in September...

Also playing in the NL will mean a player is with Canada from that moment on correct?

Edited by Scorpion26

@Blackdude thanks...

So Herdman is coaching the youth team at the Toulon tournament which is cool, but should he not have hired someone to work with the younger players. Someone he hired that would help teach his philosophy and whatnot so when they come up to the CMNT that player can transition well into the team. Obviously he would be best working with CMNT and getting them games, but is this how Herdman does thing? Was this his way with the CWNT? 

4 minutes ago, Scorpion26 said:

@Blackdude thanks...

So Herdman is coaching the youth team at the Toulon tournament which is cool, but should he not have hired someone to work with the younger players. Someone he hired that would help teach his philosophy and whatnot so when they come up to the CMNT that player can transition well into the team. Obviously he would be best working with CMNT and getting them games, but is this how Herdman does thing? Was this his way with the CWNT? 

Mauro Biello was hired to be the U20 and under director. He is co-coaching with Herdman at Toulon. I'm assuming that Biello was hired and has the same capacity as Bev Preistman on the women's side.

23 hours ago, Jith12 said:

Mauro Biello was hired to be the U20 and under director. He is co-coaching with Herdman at Toulon. I'm assuming that Biello was hired and has the same capacity as Bev Preistman on the women's side.

Alright cool thanks just wish Biello went alone and Herdman worked with the CMNT for games. Well anyhow the youth teams is doing well...

23 minutes ago, Scorpion26 said:

Alright cool thanks just wish Biello went alone and Herdman worked with the CMNT for games. Well anyhow the youth teams is doing well...

What CMNT games???!!!  We’ll go 6 months without a game .... Herdman has got plenty of time on his hands to go and coach some young guys who may be on the senior roster soon.

I had a pair of interesting experiences last night and today watching Scotland and Northern Ireland getting completely outclassed by Mexico and Costa Rica.  Brought our struggles into some perspective listening to BBC commentators in both matches lament the enormous gulf in class and gush about their hosts' technical ability, cohesion, and passing.  Mexico won 1-0 but it could've been 8.  Seeing Northern Ireland hopelessly melt in the San Jose sunshine chasing shadows I was thinking "not so f***ing easy in CONCACAF is it".

1 hour ago, Scorpion26 said:

After this Toulon tourney is there any players you feel will be called up soon by Herdman?

For those who've watched the games...

I believe so far Millar has been called up by Herdman not sure who else from the Toulon team...

Cornelius and Twardek were also called up against New Zealand.

Legault certainly made a great case for himself, he would be my first guess based purely on performance at the tournament.

Besides Millar, Twardek, Pantemis Cornelius the rest of that team needs more time to develop.

Mathieu Choiniere was fantastic and Julian Dunn was very good in this tournament. Might see a senior call-up in the next 12 months for integration.

Daniel Kinumbe didn’t seem to get much attention but was very solid for Canada at left back. I expect we’ll see him continue to progress in the youth set up as it re-shapes. 

Aplogize for arriving late to this forum....

I agree with many that it is extremely disappointing to not have the MNT playing exhibition games during these FIFA dates. I sends a wrong message to the players (nevermind the fans). It must be frustrating for players to see  your US counterparts play France, and  the CSA does not think it necessary to organize anything. 

57 minutes ago, Yorktown FC said:

I agree with many that it is extremely disappointing to not have the MNT playing exhibition games during these FIFA dates. I sends a wrong message to the players (nevermind the fans). It must be frustrating for players to see  your US counterparts play France, and  the CSA does not think it necessary to organize anything. 

The only FIFA date for us this year from January until the World Cup was in March when we played New Zealand.

https://resources.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/02/07/67/73/circularno.1355-mensinternationalmatchcalendarfortheseptember2014tojuly2018period.pdf

The only international date we've completely missed this cycle was last November and we've played 4 friendlies outside FIFA dates in that time (Bermuda in 2017, the US in 2016 and Iceland twice in 2015).

In terms of reputation and finances we are far, far below the US. Suggesting that because we aren't playing friendlies outside FIFA windows right now means the CSA isn't trying is ludicrous. The CSA have managed to do it in the past, but very few countries want to play friendlies against us and we often don't have the money to make it worth their while.

Thats all correct Zem, but after missing the NOV Fifa date we skipped on having our Poutine camp in Jan for north american players.  Which we have had previously and could have used since we knew not much was happening over the summer for us with the WC.  With all the exciting things in the pipeline (CPL) over the winter you would have thought taking advantage of every opportunity to drum up interest and support would have been on CSA agenda. I hope we dont make the same mistake in the run up to spring 2019.  I'd like to see extra friendlies coupled with minnow thrashings in the fall windows and  a big camp poutine in Jan, full new CPL signees.  

Just some simple math and I hope someone can check it please.  Just some hard-core evidence how  dire the situation is with lack of games for  the men’s national team. 

From 2017  -  2018 *  as current schedule stands. 

Out of 20 possible games played in fifa friendly window, Canada has played/ scheduled  7 games ( 3 are must play due to LN). So 7 out of 20 !!!  Note I did not include gold cup games 

The women’s national team from 2017-2018 have played 12 games !  Note I am not including three games guaranteed in the concacaf  championship 

23 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

Just some simple math and I hope someone can check it please.  Just some hard-core evidence how  dire the situation is with lack of games for  the men’s national team. 

From 2017  -  2018 *  as current schedule stands. 

Out of 20 possible games played in fifa friendly window, Canada has played/ scheduled  7 games ( 3 are must play due to LN). So 7 out of 20 !!!  Note I did not include gold cup games 

The women’s national team from 2017-2018 have played 12 games !  Note I am not including three games guaranteed in the concacaf  championship 

Not sure where you get 20 possible games from?  Doesnt FIfa usually have 5, maybe 6 windows a year?   To be a little more fair, pull up how many games we have played in WC years.  Usually 5-6 games in the WC years.  If we can double up on a couple of the the fall windows (minnow games) we can still get in 5-6 games this year.  

5 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Not sure where you get 20 possible games from?  Doesnt FIfa usually have 5, maybe 6 windows a year?   To be a little more fair, pull up how many games we have played in WC years.  Usually 5-6 games in the WC years.  If we can double up on a couple of the the fall windows (minnow games) we can still get in 5-6 games this year.  

Your allowed 2 games per window 

March 20-28 ( 2)

June 5-13 ( 2)

28th -  September 5  ( 2) 

October 2 -10 ( 2) 

November 6 - 14th (2) 

march 19-27 ( 2) 

June 14 - July 15 - World Cup ( allowed 2 Friendlies )

September 3 - 11 ( 2)

October 8 - 16 ( 2 )

November 12- 20 ( 2) 

Edited by SpecialK

48 minutes ago, RS said:

Nowhere in FIFA's match calendar does it say teams are allowed two friendlies during the World Cup. https://img.fifa.com/image/upload/jt0d6qoqwqwbp5sbofoc.pdf

Any non-World Cup teams playing during May-June are at the behest of the clubs to release players.

My  understanding during World Cup it is considered a FIFA window for all Nations, so for example if Canada called up  Osorio he would have to go, unless he says no. Can someone  who knows more than I do please confirm or correct. 

Edited by SpecialK

23 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

How much interest would there be for a friendly during the WC??   I'm guessing you would have a harder time than normal to find someone to play.  

Well  just before the World Cup   There would be a ton ! Just look at  France vs United States draw 

Edited by SpecialK