General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

True - we have improved.

Also true - Argentina has a massively better team than we do.  We are not yet close to being in their class.  How many players do we have in top flight leagues, even with our improvement?

Would we get killed?  Possibly not, 2-0 or 3-0 would be respectable I guess.  But we would have very little possession with which to work on our offensive chemistry.

I'd pay to see it and maybe it would sell tickets.  But there are many many teams better than us but worse than Argentina who it would be more useful to play.

This is the list of friendlies the USA is playing...just this year:

May 28 against Bolivia 

June 2 against Ireland 

June 9 against France 

Sept. 7 reportedly against Brazil 

Sept. 11 against Mexico 

Oct. 8-16 against Colombia and Argentina 

Nov. 15 against England

Nov. 20 against Italy 

15 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

This is the list of friendlies the USA is playing...just this year:

May 28 against Bolivia 

June 2 against Ireland 

June 9 against France 

Sept. 7 reportedly against Brazil 

Sept. 11 against Mexico 

Oct. 8-16 against Colombia and Argentina 

Nov. 15 against England

Nov. 20 against Italy 

If only we had someone in the media to hold them accountable...

they are playing 9 friendlies the rest of the year and we played 9 matches total in 2017 during a continental championship year. 

Edited by Keegan

It is absolutely appalling that there is no accountability for this.  If nothing else they need to come clean with the public and more importantly groups like the Voyageurs who support Canadian soccer.  Is it financial?  Is it lack of interest in other countries about playing us?  Is it apathy from the CSA?  Is it a strategy to have our rankings go up prior to next qualification? The lack of action for the National team is maddening to the core.  It's hard to improve results when you don't play together and our recent results (Gold Cup), while promising, have now been overshadowed by the complete void of CMNT coverage in the mainstream media.  TFC has been on an all-time high, the CPL is starting up, the Womens team is front and center and we have for the first time a team in Toulon. Yet the Sound of Silence with the Mens National Team.  Something needs to be done!

The CSA just met with the Voyageurs a month or two ago.  I didn't go but did anyone who did ask these types of questions?  I remember a recap somewhere but heard nothing but good things from those who did attend.  There are ways of trying to make them accountable if you feel it's an issue rather than complaining about it on here and blaming others for not meeting some imaginary standard you've decided on.

Imaginary standard?  We play very few international games in Fifa windows.  Recently when we have had a game during the windows it was only one game.  Many/most countries who give a damn play 2.  I keep seeing updates on my phone for friendlies and the number of games is substantial but we aren't included. 

It's great that the CSA met with the Voyageurs - did anyone who met with them report on the meeting?  I read this site almost daily and I don't remember reading about the outcome of that meeting (apologies if I missed it).  At the end of the day I want the team playing more, qualifying for world cups regularly, and if the CSA has a strategy in place other than hiring Herdman, I would love to see it and have it shared with soccer supporters in this country.

As I said there was a recap, but I can't find it right this minute.  Imaginary standard was the wrong phrase.  Arbitrary standard is a better way of putting it.  Just agree to disagree I guess.  Cheers.

1 hour ago, Club Linesman said:

Is it financial?  Is it lack of interest in other countries about playing us?  Is it apathy from the CSA?  Is it a strategy to have our rankings go up prior to next qualification?

Partly, no, absolutely, nobody at the CSA is thinking that far ahead. Whoever is working at US Soccer that is consistently getting them world class opponents deserves a fucking raise...and a job offer from the CSA.

Brazil, Colombia, Argentina, Italy, England, France, and Mexico in a five month stretch. Meanwhile, we'll be playing three teams who combined don't have 18 professional footballers.

For the US Virgin Islands (whom have literally never fielded a professional soccer player in their entire history) can we please just send a u20 team and get the CMNT real competition?

1 hour ago, Rheo said:

As I said there was a recap, but I can't find it right this minute.  Imaginary standard was the wrong phrase.  Arbitrary standard is a better way of putting it.  Just agree to disagree I guess.  Cheers.

Arbitrary standard? Sorry but that’s insulting.. we’ll be 3/4 through the year before we play a game. I swear the CSA has bots in here.

How insane on our part to expect our national team to have matches. And if it’s financial? Cancel the youth camps not the main team!! 

And let’s see what the CSA does with those 3 extra dates next to our LoN games. “Hey no ones gonna care if we just play these matches right?” “Nope”. Perfect opportunity to have the team already together and throw in a friendly but no one will say anything if they don’t so why bother? Complete joke. I’ll wait..

Edited by Keegan

Just now, Keegan said:

Arbitrary standard? Sorry but that’s insulting.. we’ll be 3/4 through the year before we play a game. I swear the CSA has bots in here.

Well other set a standard so I considered it arbitrary.  Good forbid me that I have a different opinion that doesn't involve pitchforks and torches.  Doesn't make me a bot.  Doesn't make me a CSA sheep or whatever other name you want to call me.  Go ahead though, I've got thick skin and can take it. 

Maybe Herdman with the U21 team was considered more important than pulling away our top players either midseason for those form the MLS or those recovering from full season in Europe, to play a meaningless game against a similar ranked team.  I do want them to play but I personally don't think it's the end of the world as some like to say.

8 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Hey now. I thought I was the only apologist lap dog bot......;)

4 minutes ago, admin said:

Haven't heard any rumors, and shocked we are not playing anything between now and and the Caribbean vacation series. 

Could you tell us more of the purported meeting with the CSA and what was said?

10 minutes ago, Rheo said:

posted the link

It was public, and it wasn't a meeting in that sense. 

It was a presentation of the survey results and Q&A about the CSA strategic plan.

I can't think of anything specific other than if 2026 has 48 teams, start looking for an AirBnB in Morocco. 

I was sick as a dog, and went straight to bed after overdosing on Tylenol Flu. 

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

Us not playing friendlies and thinking it’s fine is the equivalent of a student failing exam after exam and saying they don’t need to study.  We haven’t qualified for the hex since 97 we really need to study.

I never said it was fine.  I'm just saying that I find it understandable given that you'd be depleting all three Canadian MLS teams of important pieces when you need to maintain good relationships with them, asking guys like Arfield and Borjan to play meaningless games when they're just starting their offseason or if some of them were held out, sending a weaker team to Toulan to fill in the holes.  People always try to make things so black and white but I see a lot of grey in the scenario.   However as I said earlier, agree to disagree.

1 hour ago, harrycoyster said:

Partly, no, absolutely, nobody at the CSA is thinking that far ahead. Whoever is working at US Soccer that is consistently getting them world class opponents deserves a fucking raise...and a job offer from the CSA.

Brazil, Colombia, Argentina, Italy, England, France, and Mexico in a five month stretch. Meanwhile, we'll be playing three teams who combined don't have 18 professional footballers.

For the US Virgin Islands (whom have literally never fielded a professional soccer player in their entire history) can we please just send a u20 team and get the CMNT real competition?

Buzz where are ya ?  The trolls  are after the CSA ???  

1ED1A271-08BD-4396-84E5-7003D9CE341F.jpeg

Not denying there is grey in many things that were discussed above.  For sure, most on here are ok with not calling in someone who is fighting for a spot on their club.  But we should be playing games in the windows and if player A can't attend then we call up player B who we want to see.  The actual playing of games in the windows should not be grey area, and if there is some reason why we can't or shouldn't, we as fans of the team should be aware.  Even if they have to give us a bullshit answer and we need to read between the lines.

15 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Not denying there is grey in many things that were discussed above.  For sure, most on here are ok with not calling in someone who is fighting for a spot on their club.  But we should be playing games in the windows and if player A can't attend then we call up player B who we want to see.  The actual playing of games in the windows should not be grey area, and if there is some reason why we can't or shouldn't, we as fans of the team should be aware.  Even if they have to give us a bullshit answer and we need to read between the lines.

Exactly, we have literally 3/4 options at each position with ZERO hope/chance of seeing them all in 2018.  The excuse of our players being on mls teams is so lame this isn’t 2007.

we need to play matches and assess these players before we miss them or lose them.  It’s not like we just need games to practice, we actually need them to pick our squad this time around.

Edited by Keegan

I think that I've just made an interesting discovery. In March, Canada Soccer registered a Hudl profile. Hudl is an online platform that allows for organizations and their athletes to "review game footage and improve team play". It also lists the list of people with access to the CMNT Hudl. At the moment it looks like the players included are from the New Zealand camp and Toulon Tournament. Here are some of my takeaways:

1. Cavallini is on the list of included players, probably suggesting that he was called up for the NZ game.

2. Will Johnson is also there, which indicates that he is still very much a part of our program.

3. This is probably the video conferencing/online component that was referenced by someone prior to the NZ camp.

This is encouraging to see that we are doing more work off of the field in order to improve our on field product. This is a very modern approach from Herdman and the staff, which is positive.

Here is a link to the Hudl: http://www.hudl.com/team/v2/320801/Mens-National-Team

7 hours ago, admin said:

Haven't heard any rumors, and shocked we are not playing anything between now and and the Caribbean vacation series. 

That's technically the next FIFA match date. Teams that are playing in the next couple weeks are either prepping for the World Cup or don't have many/most of their players involved in club competition until August/Sept.

The U.S. is the outlier in this regard.