General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

4 hours ago, Grizzly said:

That video is fucking embarrassing.

People really find this cool? 

2 dot to the North Po

Remember who ya fightin fo

That is cringeworthy in my books and very phony.

To be fair it  is not quite as bad as the similar MLS video with the guy who talks in a slang that can be best described at "how rich white guys like Don Garber think poor black people in the ghetto talk like though only the cool black ghetto guys not the scary ones".

The shirts are ok, not very original but nothing wrong with them either. 

Yep and then it (the MLS commercial) shows an Atlanta rapper watching in the studio and some guys arguing in a barbershop in LA as if that would ever happen.. soooo cringe and you’re forced to watch it anytime there’s a clip you want to see.

Not as embarrassing as the Raptors “we the North” slogan and the rest of the cringe stuff that team does.  It’s like they’re talking down to their target audience.  

Edited by Keegan

As annoying as that MLS video is, I giggle every time I hear the word "represent".  It reminds me of Mr T voicing the cop in Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs:  "Flint Lockwood -- this contact lens represent you. My eye represent my eye.  I got my EYE on YOU."

I liked the video and not sure what you guys have against the raps motto. They aren’t talking down to the target audience, they are using the terms as it is relatable to the younger crowd

6 hours ago, Scorpion26 said:

I like the Jersey...

When will it be worn for the first time?

Also yes I think someone mentioned a black third kit that would rock also...

I believe I read the new jersey will be worn by the women team next game.

With our next competitive game being against a major minnow, I was wondering about using it as a chance to cap tie a bunch of guys we are at risk of losing in the near term. US Virgin Island will not be a major test, we should wallop them even with an expirimental line up. At the same time, we don't want to make a mockery of the program, so it should be mostly vets called up. With that in mind, here is what I suggest. 

The bolded players are guys who need to be cap tied.

------------------Vaikla-------------------

Cordova---James---Geffrard----Morgan

------Kaye----- 

Arfied----------Osorio

Millar-----------Larin-------------Telfer 

Ideally sub in Gutierrez for Morgan if he would accept a call, Verhoeven for a midfielder and Lankov for a midfielder. Those subs can only be made if we are winning. Which, against US Virgin Islands, we should be up a few goals by halftime, even with the less experienced players up front, I think our midfield is strong and will boss the game. Larin should put some goals away and Millar and Telfer both play at higher levels than any of the USVI players. If we are not up by 2 goals at the half, sub in Hoilett and Davies, USVI will not be able to contain them.

• I think Geffrard and Telfer would probably accept the call up, Geffrard might end up being crucial depth at CB for us if he develops well, but he might be set on Haiti though.
  • Vaikla is questionable if he would accept or not. You could sell him on being the potential #1 when Borjan is gone and the 2026 World Cup run he is likely to be the #1. He solves a major problem for us, but seems pretty set on Estonia.
  • Cordova and Verhoeven are in our system, but still need to be cap tied. No reason to believe they wouldn't accept the call.
  • Gutierrez and Lankov are the guys eligible for nations that are actually better than us. I think Lankov is unlikely but worth the shot to call him up. Gutierrez might be more realistic, his brother plays for us, he's fallen off Chile's radar and plays on the same team as Cordova.  

Another point of note is that every member of the 11 and the suggested subs, both capped and uncapped will be around in 2022. Players who might be better right now, like Edgar, Vitoria, Jako, Hutch even de Jong are left out because they will not be around much longer. It is important for guys like Osorio, Morgan, and James to become the vets and leaders of this team. 

Not sure if Cordova had to use his switch or not but either way he will get cap tied during LON play this fall no doubt about that one. 

Regarding the others, I am very curious about Herdman’s approach to scouting, player analysis, depth charting and strategic call ups for purpose of cap-ties. From all accounts do date, he is apparently infinitely more organized that any recent MNT coach / interim coach so I do hope there is a real effort underway behind the scenes to advance the player pool. Hopefully calling Busti to Toulon is the tip of the iceberg. 

1 hour ago, badname22 said:

Instead of Codova, we should bring Brault from lyon 

This is also a good call. But I feel like he is not nearly as close to a call up from France as Cordova could be from Chile (if he didn't have to file his switch).

After having a discussion about   Haiti playing Argentina.  I’m curious what everyone thinks if Canada played  Argentina now, would  we get killed like the last time we played ? Is our  Best 23  now better than the team that  Played Argentina ? 

I put together basically our  arguably  best 23  right now.  And I found the team they’re playing Argentina see the picture below. What do you guys and ladies  Think ?E519E400-31E3-4B53-B643-EC04B5D27C5D.thumb.jpeg.ee3a7893b91a0dc332bf777b6739472d.jpeg

CM - David Wortherspoon

CF - Liam Millar

GK - Jayson Leutwiler

DM-Samuel Piette

CF-Cyle Larin 

CM- Scott Arfield

W- Junior Hoilett 

W- Alfonso Davies

CB David Edgar

CB- Manjrekar James

CB-Dejan Jakovic

CB-Doneil Henry

GK-Milan Borjan

DM-Atiba Hutchinson

LB-Ashton Morgan

LB -Marcel DeJong

RB-Juan Córdova

RB-Michael Petrasso

CF- Lucas Cavallini

CM- Will Johnson

CF-Tosaint Ricketts

RB- Marcus Godinho/ Mark-Anthony Kaye/3rd goalie 

CF- Tesho Akindele

M -  Jonathan Osorio 

Edited by SpecialK

21 minutes ago, BradMack said:

This is also a good call. But I feel like he is not nearly as close to a call up from France as Cordova could be from Chile (if he didn't have to file his switch).

Brault can get called by Haiti because he was born there.

18 minutes ago, Scorpion26 said:

Remembered reading a rumor of USA hosting a small tourney wonder if it would actually happen and if it did would Canada join in this tourney. I think it was for some teams who are not part of WC2018. 

USA small tournament for Non-WC teams...

That was shot down and the teams that led the charge just decided to schedule friendlies instead (US v Ireland, Italy v Netherlands, US v Italy all happen this year). Rumors were that the US dropped the plans in order to stay on good terms with FIFA ahead of the 2026 vote. 

Edited by harrycoyster

1 minute ago, harrycoyster said:

That was shot down and the teams that led the charge just decided to schedule friendlies instead (US v Ireland, Italy v Netherlands, US v Italy all happen this year). Rumors were that the US dropped the plans in order to stay on good terms with FIFA ahead of the 2026 vote. 

OH thanks I wondered about this...

Well I guess we wait till September for CMNT to play... 

On 5/20/2018 at 12:12 PM, SpecialK said:

After having a discussion about   Haiti playing Argentina.  I’m curious what everyone thinks if Canada played  Argentina now, would  we get killed like the last time we played ? Is our  Best 23  now better than the team that  Played Argentina ? 

I put together basically our  arguably  best 23  right now.  And I found the team they’re playing Argentina see the picture below. What do you guys and ladies  Think ?E519E400-31E3-4B53-B643-EC04B5D27C5D.thumb.jpeg.ee3a7893b91a0dc332bf777b6739472d.jpeg

CM - David Wortherspoon

CF - Liam Millar

GK - Jayson Leutwiler

DM-Samuel Piette

CF-Cyle Larin 

CM- Scott Arfield

W- Junior Hoilett 

W- Alfonso Davies

CB David Edgar

CB- Manjrekar James

CB-Dejan Jakovic

CB-Doneil Henry

GK-Milan Borjan

DM-Atiba Hutchinson

LB-Ashton Morgan

LB -Marcel DeJong

RB-Juan Córdova

RB-Michael Petrasso

CF- Lucas Cavallini

CM- Will Johnson

CF-Tosaint Ricketts

RB- Marcus Godinho/ Mark-Anthony Kaye/3rd goalie 

CF- Tesho Akindele

I recall watching this game and wow that was a terrible team we fielded against Argentina, not nearly our best at the time.  Where were Hutchinson and deGuzman, Occean?  I think Edgar was still dicking us around in 2010.

Friend, Stalteri, Hastings, Onstad and Klukowski were well past it by 2010, all of them lost their spots by WCQ in 2012. Peters and Ademolou vs Argentina, are you kidding me?  LOL. 

Of course we would fare better today, but not by much, although we are more likely to score now.

16 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

I recall watching this game and wow that was a terrible team we fielded against Argentina, not nearly our best at the time.  Where were Hutchinson and deGuzman, Occean?  I think Edgar was still dicking us around in 2010.

Friend, Stalteri, Hastings, Onstad and Klukowski were well past it by 2010, all of them lost their spots by WCQ in 2012. Peters and Ademolou vs Argentina, are you kidding me?  LOL. 

Of course we would fare better today, but not by much, although we are more likely to score now.

It wasn't a FIFA date for Canada. I remember that de Guzman was injured. Also, Occéan in 2010 played 3 matches for Lillestrom. 

If we had a match, we wouldn't have been able to send our best, so we would have players like Ademolu and Peters. 

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

Canada’s goaltending,  midfielders, wingers , depth are all better.  I think Argentina would of course be the favourite probably win the game but I can see it being 3-1 , 2-0, 2-1, 4-2 Maybe a 2-2 draw.  I don’t know what others feel to me that’s respectable, I’m good  with a result like that.