General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

it’s amazing the USA loses out on  qualifying for 2018 World Cup and everyone says it’s the dark times and their fans are pissed. Congrats to USA soccer on the  amazing  apology gifts to your fans with mind blowing friendlies. 

Portugal, Bosnia, Paraguay, Bolivia, Ireland, France, England, Italy and now  Brazil !

So pumped for St.Kitts and  US Virgin Islands in the Fall! Well done CSA ! You got all the Canadian fans so excited! What a bunch of  Hosers! 

Edited by SpecialK

19 minutes ago, masster said:

CSA probably has no money to arrange matches...they are paying both Zambrano and Herdman to do nothing.

If you think Herdman is sitting around doing nothing, then you know nothing about him.  There's so much more to managing a national squad than standing on the sidelines in a game and shouting instructions.  The players already have to be better prepared than the other side when the game starts, and most of that comes down to general training.  Herdman knows what he's doing in that area, as evidenced by our CWNT.  Every other top nation in the world has a competitive league for women, except us, but there we are in the top five anyway.  If anyone knows how to prepare players without upper-tier competitive games, it's Herdman.

11 hours ago, rkomar said:

If you think Herdman is sitting around doing nothing, then you know nothing about him.  There's so much more to managing a national squad than standing on the sidelines in a game and shouting instructions.  The players already have to be better prepared than the other side when the game starts, and most of that comes down to general training.  Herdman knows what he's doing in that area, as evidenced by our CWNT.  Every other top nation in the world has a competitive league for women, except us, but there we are in the top five anyway.  If anyone knows how to prepare players without upper-tier competitive games, it's Herdman.

If you would like to be pedantic, my post should have said, they are paying 2 coaches instead of 1 to do very, very little.

But since you brought up preparation and general training, how exactly is Herdman preparing and training our senior national team players right now?

11 hours ago, rkomar said:

That is exactly it, a lot of the ladies dont play in pro leagues and Herdman is able to have a ton of camps, work them together as a team.  They might not be playing in pro leagues but they spend more time together than the men and they do at least the same amount or more upper tier games than the men.  The men are scattered to the winds and usually all dont all get together even for camps and friendlies.  When we have 6-7 months between camps/friendlies I am also curious as to what he is working on.  I hope he is going to be heavily involved in recruiting and coaching the kids going to Toulon.  As mentioned in another thread, there are plenty of kids with other options that we could be bringing to this tournie (Akinola, Verhoven etc).   

35 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Can Akinola play with Canada, since he's played with the US? 

I don't get the back and forth rule. 

He can because he's provisionally cap-tied. He would have to file a one-time switch though and if he does that he's locked into Canada.

I wasn't happy with Herdman's appointment but am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at least until we have actual matches to judge him on. Given no friendlies and no camps, I don't imagine he's doing much "training/preparing" of players but would hope he and his staff are at minimum catching every possible match and reviewing every minute of tape they possibly can to scout our guys. That and also keeping lines of communication open with players, club coaches, and fence-sitters. Nations League isn't too far off and we can't afford any screw-ups. 

3 hours ago, masster said:

If you would like to be pedantic, my post should have said, they are paying 2 coaches instead of 1 to do very, very little.

But since you brought up preparation and general training, how exactly is Herdman preparing and training our senior national team players right now?

I've heard passing reference from interviews with CWNT coaches and players to various diet and training regimes, as well as mental exercises (some performed on a computer).  Of course, no one gives details, but it's clear that the women were given plenty to do between tournaments.  It also sounded like they were told which parts of their fitness/skills/techniques they needed to improve to play for the team.  All in all, there was a lot of communication between coaches and players.

I'm sure the details are different for the men, but I'm assuming that Herdman will continue the overall philosophy of communicating with the players and assisting them to improve themselves.

In my opinion I just think CSA/Herdman should be lining up games for CMNT. This does suck to see all these game be lined up for USA and Canada will be idle for many months until September. More games the better to test new players and to create competition. Most important to me is to create chemistry for players meant for CMNT to make the 2022 WC and yes no every player will make it to that time as some may retire or fall off the team. In all the point is to get more depth to see which players will rise to be a great part of CMNT to make in 2022 and beyond for the WC plus CMNT that will compete to win Gold Cup or other big tourneys. 

However were not in control and can only be annoyed or disappointed with lack of games. Who knows perhaps this is just for now and CMNT will come CPL starting have more games since an increase of players will have occurred by Spring 2019. It's a wait and see what happens...

I wonder if the CSA is trying to protect Herdman from looking bad. Yes this may sound crazy but think about it, if they play some decent teams and he gets out managed, we lost badly everyone will be calling for his head. The CSA board would look like BIGGER idiots than they are already. Herdman has become the face of Canadian soccer and the CSA, they are even using him for the CPL. The saviour of the women’s program and now the men’s team. New Zealand didn’t have key player playing that would have made a huge difference, they didn’t even had their back up goalies playing. The next few games should be easy wins. Yes this sounds  crazy conspiracy theory but the CSA is capable of doing something like this, they are very political. They didn’t fire Oz because he wasn’t winning. 

But why isn’t any media talking about the lack of games and really asking tough questions. As supporters we deserve answers. We finally have some really talented players and highy talented dual nationals were thinking about joining Canada and now CPL. This is the time to be throwing Canada out there on the world stage. Within the last what a year we have gone from 114 ? In the world to 80th and if we had more friendlies and the League of Nations we could maybe get into the top 50 . Getting people all excited and boom nothing until the fall it’s just wrong! If this was hockey omg there would be riots ! 

Edited by SpecialK

50 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I wonder if the CSA is trying to protect Herdman from looking bad. Yes this may sound crazy but think about it, if they play some decent teams and he gets out managed, we lost badly everyone will be calling for his head. The CSA board would look like BIGGER idiots than they are already. Herdman has become the face of Canadian soccer and the CSA, they are even using him for the CPL. The saviour of the women’s program and now the men’s team. New Zealand didn’t have key player playing that would have made a huge difference, they didn’t even had their back up goalies playing. The next few games should be easy wins. Yes this sounds  crazy conspiracy theory but the CSA is capable of doing something like this, they are very political. They didn’t fire Oz because he wasn’t winning. 

But why isn’t any media talking about the lack of games and really asking tough questions. As supporters we deserve answers. We finally have some really talented players and highy talented dual nationals were thinking about joining Canada and now CPL. This is the time to be throwing Canada out there on the world stage. Within the last what a year we have gone from 114 ? In the world to 80th and if we had more friendlies and the League of Nations we could maybe get into the top 50 . Getting people all excited and boom nothing until the fall it’s just wrong! If this was hockey omg there would be riots ! 

This isn't as far fetched as some might think, although the CSA has improved they are still a far ways from being transparent and as you say they are very political, in my opinion anyway!

30 minutes ago, gator said:

This isn't as far fetched as some might think, although the CSA has improved they are still a far ways from being transparent and as you say they are very political, in my opinion anyway!

Still quite far fetched though! :D

Edited by dsqpr

10 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Within the last what a year we have gone from 114 ? In the world to 80th and if we had more friendlies and the League of Nations we could maybe get into the top 50 .

More games (in particular friendlies) doesn't mean higher ranking. The fact we haven't been playing many friendlies might actually be part of the reason why our ranking has gone up as much as it has.

59 minutes ago, Kent said:

More games (in particular friendlies) doesn't mean higher ranking. The fact we haven't been playing many friendlies might actually be part of the reason why our ranking has gone up as much as it has.

If we played more friendlies and we won or draw those games we would get more points. Yes Gold Cup , League of Nations and World Cup qualifiers are valued more. 

Canada does have good players, we can be beat mid level teams. 

2 hours ago, SpecialK said:

If we played more friendlies and we won or draw those games we would get more points. Yes Gold Cup , League of Nations and World Cup qualifiers are valued more. 

Canada does have good players, we can be beat mid level teams. 

And then those points would be averaged out. For example, if you have only ever played one game and it got you 200 points, and then you play a second game (within a year) that is worth 150 points it actually hurts your ranking. You’ve gone from an average of 200 points to an average of 175 points.

Beating a minnow (ie anyone lower than 150th in FIFA) in a League of Nations qualifier will give you at the very minimum 318.75.  Beating New Zealand gaves us 204 points. So, for the average, the New Zealand match is actually hurting us. To have a score that could be better than winning a LoN match, we would need to beat an European team that is at least 84th in the world. But that would also give less weight to a potential win against St Kitts who is right now in the 120's and would probably improve their ranking if they win 1 or 2 of their League of Nations qualifying match. So, if you want a higher ranking, not playing is a sound strategy.